If you step out of my house and walk 50 yards into the ancient woods, there's a little narrow pathway which is overgrown, another 100 yards and jump a ditch and you are deep in the bluebell woods...
You can never have too many bluebells - I am so lucky to go out here every day and get my fill of their wonderful fragrance. These are not the Spanish bluebells many people come across and often find in their own gardens too, these are smaller, very delicate and only grow on ancient woodland. They are usually preceded by those beautiful white and pale pink stars, the wood anemone.
With the hot days I have alternated with the odd night walk sometimes. The sky at night is clear and fresh. My son persuaded me to turn off the torch and adjust my eyes to the light - the path was moonlit, I was convinced we were next to a huge field of deep water! but it was just grass - the light made it ripple in the breeze and it confused my senses. Flowers smell stronger at night - rowan blossom is sweet and overpowering.
On our Sunday walk we found a duck family huddled up at the edge of the lake near here.
This may not be the general feeling, but I am enjoying the calmer, quieter, slower pace of lockdown. I am very lucky to have all this beauty to enjoy right on my doorstep, yet be 40 mins to London or Brighton on a train and within walking distance of the airport. We have a lot to be thankful for here.
Where are you going on your walks? suburbia can be interesting too - I quite like seeing what people have in their gardens!
You can never have too many bluebells - I am so lucky to go out here every day and get my fill of their wonderful fragrance. These are not the Spanish bluebells many people come across and often find in their own gardens too, these are smaller, very delicate and only grow on ancient woodland. They are usually preceded by those beautiful white and pale pink stars, the wood anemone.
With the hot days I have alternated with the odd night walk sometimes. The sky at night is clear and fresh. My son persuaded me to turn off the torch and adjust my eyes to the light - the path was moonlit, I was convinced we were next to a huge field of deep water! but it was just grass - the light made it ripple in the breeze and it confused my senses. Flowers smell stronger at night - rowan blossom is sweet and overpowering.
On our Sunday walk we found a duck family huddled up at the edge of the lake near here.
This may not be the general feeling, but I am enjoying the calmer, quieter, slower pace of lockdown. I am very lucky to have all this beauty to enjoy right on my doorstep, yet be 40 mins to London or Brighton on a train and within walking distance of the airport. We have a lot to be thankful for here.
Where are you going on your walks? suburbia can be interesting too - I quite like seeing what people have in their gardens!












Although l'm a BIG Pansies fan..
ReplyDeleteLoved them as long as l can remember,
my most favourite flower..
l do have some Bluebells growing at the
corner of a shed and privet hedge..and
buried under them is pussy~cat Darlinga..
first cat l had back in 78, when we moved
into a new home..AND..l'm still here 42yrs
later..!
Lovely to see them growing where they belong,
in the ground..that's where ALL flowers belong..
NOT! NOT! Cut and put into a silly vase, and
place on a window sill..shame..horrid thing to
do to a flower..! HeHe! So there..! :).
I've been told on several occasions to
write a book..HeHe! Write! Write!
I barely read! :).
And..l live about couple hundred yards
from a river..The river Stour..so..there's
plenty of wildlife..ducks, swans and coots..
And..people fish as well..!
And it's a nice walk, down through the woods,
passed Langton church, and into a wide field,
onto to the river, walk along the river, for
about half mile to the old house..! NO! cars,
no lorries, nice and quite..! Lovely!
Monty Don said once..
"Every flower is a soul blossoming in nature,
please don't take their life by plucking them".
How lovely to have bluebell woods on your doostep. the flowers are just coming into their own here.
ReplyDeleteAn Ancient Woodland!!!! Oh how lucky you are, to have access to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!!!!
Anyone would love a slower pace of life, with such beauty to enjoy. I'd think, you'd really not want to go back to go-go-go. -smile-
We don;t have this gorgeous a wood, across from us. But it's still woods. -smile- And lots of walking areas, in nature.
Let healthy go back to work...
Compromised people,
Still stay home.
🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱
Hello Betty! Ive stopped by from 'Tales from a Happy House' and on my way I noticed that your fave music is Queen, Santana and Black Eye Peas! I'm not sure about the last one but the first two? Yes Please!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the enjoyment of the slower calmer pace of life.... it makes me realise how much useless running about I was doing before lockdown. I shall certainly be trying to retain some of this slowness if/when life returns to 'normal'. Nice to meet you - Evi
I'm very grateful to have a little patch of woods along a lake with trails. I walk there every day with my grandson to throw rocks into the water.
ReplyDeleteSo pretty, Betty! My walk today was along "the ridge" where you can get away from cars for a while. It was sunny and bright!
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely pictures! Our bluebells (not sure what variety they are) are looking particularly blue this morning, you've inmspired me to brave the rain and take a few photos.
ReplyDeleteHow sweet those ducking are!
I love the soun of a walk at nighttime, very exciting.
Hope the neck is feeling a bit easier, Betty! xxx
The bluebells are so pretty. They look peaceful to me, just in the woods. I haven't walked in a few weeks, if not more. I do love it though, so it will be nice to get back to it.
ReplyDeletewhat beautiful pictures, I miss woodland walks..
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to be so close to a bluebell wood! We're going to see our local bluebells today.
ReplyDeleteI've been wandering around the fields and into the wood (no bluebells there I'm sad to say). I spend a lot of time just wandering around the garden on nice days.
We had some ducklings on our pond but I think the cats scared them off, which is probably just as well. We didn't see them nesting so we think they wandered to us through the ditches. It was lovely to have them there for an afternoon, I spent ages just sitting and quietly watching them.
xx
Ooh, how lovely to see the Bluebells!! They look magnificent! There are SOME near us so I need to go and spy some. We had a massive 15.3mile walk yesterday and I saw lots of lovely things...but no bluebells!
ReplyDelete