The house has been cleaned and tidied to excess, I have been going through a room a day cleaning every hard surface, mirrors, windows, doors. This is partly due to ocd tendencies but more to boredom as I like to keep busy.
Yesterday I took my ficus tree out into the garden for a bath and lovingly cleaned every single leaf (it has scale disease so needed it)… then the conservatory windows were cleaned.
I took a few snaps around the house and was surprised to see how our home has evolved to such a 'natural' colour scheme. Green curtains, cushions, plants, plates, etc. It is a very calming colour and our 'look' has evolved over 26 years, many of them spent in make do and mend mode, gifted furniture from emigrating neighbours and lucky charity shop finds. Colour schemes in houses say a lot about the people within, I think ours says we like comfort, practicality, nothing that does not have a purpose..... what does your décor say about you?
Huby collects fridge magnets when we travel
A delivery is imminent from our local garden centre. Thank you so much vicky for suggesting I email them. I have snapdragons and compost winging its way to me. Something nice to look forward to.
How's your lockdown going? Spring cleaning?
Yesterday I took my ficus tree out into the garden for a bath and lovingly cleaned every single leaf (it has scale disease so needed it)… then the conservatory windows were cleaned.
I took a few snaps around the house and was surprised to see how our home has evolved to such a 'natural' colour scheme. Green curtains, cushions, plants, plates, etc. It is a very calming colour and our 'look' has evolved over 26 years, many of them spent in make do and mend mode, gifted furniture from emigrating neighbours and lucky charity shop finds. Colour schemes in houses say a lot about the people within, I think ours says we like comfort, practicality, nothing that does not have a purpose..... what does your décor say about you?
Huby collects fridge magnets when we travel
![]() |
| I am growing some chillis (from the fridge!) |
I rediscovered these placemats we brought home from a Florida holiday when the boys were kids, they were from Waffle House, each time we went we asked to take a table mat until we had a full set! Do they still trade? We had some great breakfasts there. I like using things like these that have happy memories attached rather than buying something if theres a choice.
![]() |
| Favourite colour, orange |
A delivery is imminent from our local garden centre. Thank you so much vicky for suggesting I email them. I have snapdragons and compost winging its way to me. Something nice to look forward to.
How's your lockdown going? Spring cleaning?






Lockdown or is it Lockup, is going well..
ReplyDeleteI'm not one for getting bored, dare l say
it, not that l'm a Virgo by birth, my
home is always clean and tidy, not spotless,
but l am a 'bleach' person, not worried
about Loo rolls or pasta, but l must'nt
run out of bleach..! HeHe! :(.
I have plants all around my home..Love them!
Though l have to be careful, l don't use a lot
of heat in my home, even during the winter...
(It's the Sicilian blood)..so l only have hardy
house plants..Ficus, Cheese plant, etc..l see you
have a nice one there Betty..! :).
And..Yep! I collect fridge magnets..Fridge freezer
is covered in them..and..some even flash..!
When l finish this Betty..l'll send you some pics
of a room in my home..
You might as well see them, everyone else on the
planet has seen them..Some years ago, l sent them
out, and before l knew it, a lady in New Zealand,
had put it on Facebook..Don't know where as l don't
do any social media...Over the years people have
knocked on my front door, just to look, and take
photos of it..HeHe! :).
Now! I'm off to the bathroom..Now! Where's that
bleach...! :o).
Stay Safe! Take Care! Stay Happy!
I really enjoyed seeing your pictures Willie, thank you.
DeleteI've been cleaning a lot more than I normally do. Usually I do the minimum, give everything a bit of a once over, it's only if we're having visitors that things get a proper clean, and if I know they're not going to go upstairs I only do downstairs! Recently though I've been cleaning to keep me occupied, I've been finding it very therapeutic, a little bit of control in a time of chaos.
ReplyDeletexx
lol my mother never did housework and used to squirt furniture polish into the air and make out she had just been about to start cleaning if someone knocked at the door!
DeleteI love this idea!!
Deletexx
I've fumigated the whole house this morning and boiled washed everything! Never want to go through this again. Your home is so lovely and calming, Betty. I love all your colours together. It's given me inspiration to hire a skip and get rid of my tat!! Have to wait on energy levels returning before then though.
ReplyDeletehope you are feeling much better. You are NOT hiring a skip - your home is full of creative stuff and is your own style!
DeleteOh wow, I too have OCD! But it has not developed into Obsessive Cleaning Disease, at this time! (Too bad, that!)
ReplyDeleteI do have to have-to-have-things-NEAT. But sad to say, even this, is slipping a wee bit, here and there. -sigh-
Time to "get back on the ball," as the old saying goes!!
Stay safe...
Gentle hugs...
⛅ ⛅ ⛅ ⛅ ⛅
oh join the club then! yes neat/orderly I can't even stand two odd socks hanging around - if things get cluttered or untidy I feel like everything is closing in on me lol!
DeleteYour house is gorgeous, so calming and restful with lovely pops of colour and bits found on your travels, it does reflect who you are!
ReplyDeleteYour plants look really lush and healthy!
I rarely do any housework but I'm like a woman posessed at the moment. I inherited being slovenly from my mum, cats roamed the work surfaces and bleach or disinfectant were never used I think that's why I have such a good immune system and never had a day off school or work until my hip replacement.
I'm so happy to hear about your plants, please show them off when they arrive! xxxx
thank you I think my childhood was similar to yours, no housework ever done! I used to put my school uniform under my mattress to try and keep the skirt pleats tidy!
DeleteI'm amazed we both grew up so domesticated! Just shows it's more about nature than nurture! xxx
DeleteYour home does look cosy Betty. I love the union jack cushions on your bed. I must admit I have been a bit OCD during this lockdown too - I put my stronger glasses on & was a bit shocked at the state of my house so lots of cleaning & polishing has been done while i have the time. xx
ReplyDeleteHello Betty, just wanted to say “hi” and many thanks for visiting mine and your comment. If I did not have quite so much to catch up on in the garden I’d be joining you in the house straightening. Worryingly it sounds like we are going to be living this strange half-life for a long while so there will be time for me to get to the accumulating dust!
ReplyDeleteI ~love~ your clothes from All About Audrey . . . And Amber is quite a darling, please give her a gentle scratch under the chin from me 🐾
what a lovely cozy house dear Betty :)
ReplyDeleteOh i absolutely loved peaking through :)))
everything looks so tidy and well cared indeed ,this is amazing that you spent some time to make your home more comfortable and clean
your findings and choices are beautiful and excellent and yes so nicely arranged ,you have gift to interior decor for sure
i am in my way to adopt ways to make my home look good until now :)
sending lots of best wishes and blessings!
enjoy and stay well!
I could identify with this post and also the previous comments, Betty. As for myself - cleaning yes, obsessively not. i remember a sign that a friend had in her home which read "Housework will make you ugly" and I don't think that anyone should take ANY chances, don't you? We life in an apt in a former textile mill so there is never avoiding dust even a day after cleaning so I do a few different things during a couple of weeks and then it all gets done, eventually. And your home does look comfortable, which we feel is the same for ours with lots of brown and tan colors.
ReplyDeleteHey Betty, I've just recently successfully treated my houseplants which became riddled with scale with this stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bug-Clear-Ultra-Gun-1Ltr/dp/B0071QND28
ReplyDeleteI don't know if killing bugs is your style, but I used to wash them down frequently with a bit of vinegar which helped in the short-term! Scale was almost the end of my avocados in particular and cleaning up the sticky mess the bugs make was a pain.