Saturday, 14 March 2020

There's an Elephant in the Room

Blogland seems to be avoiding the conversation of Corona Virus - it's here - it's in much of the World, everyone is experiencing changes to an extent, yet everyone is avoiding the subject.


Elephant in the room by Banksy, source Flicker.com (no copyright infringement intended)


Here in the UK  supermarket shelves have large empty gaps - toilet rolls, kitchen paper, marmite, rice, paracetamol/ibuprofen, pasta, beer, soap and hand sanitiser …. Clearly many are stocking up for a siege.  I have put away a few provisions, I admit, but just enough to keep us afloat for 2 weeks if we have to self isolate.

In my job we are to work from home starting in about 7-10 days.  Preparations are being made to give us secure internet access to offer the assistance we can send to householders who need emergency help from our call centre, and shortly from our own homes.  We have used this plan before and practised for times like this so it will be fine, just different.

We have discussed how we will care for each other in our family and will be mindful of anyone in our neighbourhood who is elderly or has serious health issues that may need our help.

Walking the rescue dogs at the kennels can continue at present, we are observing good hand hygiene and keep our distance from one another.

We are prepared for the worst and praying for the best... I know you are too …. all of us in Blogland are in the unusual situation of experiencing the same thing to a greater or lesser degree.

Let's keep each others' spirits up and be positive.   
What preparations are you making in your home, are you affected, are you well?

23 comments:

  1. Well said
    Now let's get on with things....together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, John, let's get on, planning and preparation.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your comment on my blog (where I plead for Pretty Blog Land to not go silent) -smile-

    Thank you so much for posting!

    We are all in this together. Hopefully logically prepared for staying home.

    And avoiding most of what passes for *news* today. Where they seem to want us all to panic, and run off the nearest cliff. Good Grief!!!

    Did they never hear of messages of common sense and staying calm???? Nope! Doom and Panic and Blame, that's all they scream.

    We prepared, for having to stay out of stores. And being fully in the "worst category," we are now staying in. We have the wonderful luck, of living right next to a Son and his Dear Wife. Who is like a Daughter to us. She is getting anything we need, for us.

    We have had 3 confirmed cases here, but no more yet, the last time I checked. But colleges and schools are closing or closed. Etc. Etc. Etc.

    I have the nagging wonder... Is all this really needed? Do we really have to wreck the world economy? Or have we been pushed into this, by the *news*, screaming at us that we must Panic, Panic, Panic? -sigh-

    Stay wise.
    Stay calm.
    Stay safe.
    Courage!
    🍃🌱🌷🌱🍃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes your post prompted mine, I think this is something that has never happened in our lifetime and sharing our experiences is definitely helpful and encouraging.

      Delete
  3. I rang the NHS helpline the other day and the lovely lady who I spoke to told me to go about my daily business as normal but I'm right in the firing line between work, elderly Mother, vulnerable family members and school age grandchildren. I'm paralysed with fear to be honest. Never known anything like it and now I have to tell my Mother that she may be confined to her home for the next four months. It's like living in a disaster movie, only it's all very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, like a movie, feels like it's not really happening - I think the hardest thing for people during isolation is going to be loneliness to be honest.

      Delete
  4. We took the step of distancing ourselves a week or so ago, and feel it was the right thing to do. I wont panic buy, and we are fairly well stocked with frozen garden produce. Good post, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you were very wise. I hope your carers can continue to support you without risk to your health, but you are doing all you can to make your home safe for your dear husband.

      Delete
  5. Hi Betty! We're taking it as it comes. Our stores are being terribly affected and the lines the day after it was declared an emergency were so long (at the grocery). Yesterday it was less so but the shelves are still empty. God be with you and yours, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I have to say your President seems to be getting things under way efficiently. Bless you too xxx

      Delete
  6. There is so much written and broadcast about this latest member of the coronavirus family, reading and writing about anything else that is going on out there is a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you're right - I would like some light entertainment now!

      Delete
  7. You asked where I live...

    My husband and I, are in the upper North East of the U.S.

    Very luckily, we live next door, to one of our sons and his family. Our daughter-in-law is like a daughter. They are getting anything we find, we need.

    Stay wise.
    Stay calm.
    Stay safe.
    Courage!
    🍃🌷🌱🌷🍃

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you have family close - I was curious of your location as I like to look on the internet and see what's happening in various parts of the globe, not only during Corona virus - but in general - the different landscapes, lifestyles etc. is an endless source of googling for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think most of us are preparing for the worst and praying for the best...

    Take care and stay well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not really been into a busy supermarket since things went mad- I nipped into Lidl for some rolls for my lunch on Monday but that was it. I did go to my Zerowaste shop on SAturday (I have been needing to go for a while as our surface spray had run out. Whilst I was there, I filled 2 jars of lentils, 2 boxes of pasta, some deodorant, some cereal, paprika and my husband picked up 2 packs of rice and some pasta but I will pick up a few tins of tomatoes if I get a chance tomorrow after school. I guess I'm waiting to see what happens with school. I did a bulk buy of toilet roll a year ago (45 rolls as the recycled, compostable packaging brand I use is expensive if you buy single packs and if you're going to transport it, then you might as well buy in bulk) and I realised this week that we are down to our last 2 packs of 4 so I placed my order with the company. Whether they get in touch and tell me they are out of stock, I don't know. I do plan to give a few to the food bank.
    I guess I'm waiting to see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Covid 19 is quite the sobering experience. I'm prepared. I did not buy a jillion rolls of toilet paper; but, I think we will make it. I did buy several large containers of coffee and stock up on tea bags. I can skip eating; but coffee and tea are essential.
    We'll see the effect in about two months. I hope people will be careful and reduce the transmission. Maybe some people are planning to roll themselves in toilet tissues much like a mummy for protection. I'm baffled that hoarding toilet tissue has occurred in several countries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are a few confirmed cases in our town. We have groceries and are just staying in. Best to just let the virus die out rather than giving it another host. We have elderly family we are keeping in touch with. I think some things will be different when we emerge from this. Maybe a more grateful world appreciative of the small things like food on store shelves. Or am I dreaming? 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must read different blogs to me, I've seen nothing but stories about vile behaviour or general paranoia for weeks.
    We had to go to Morrisons today as we'd run out of yoghurt, most stuff was freely avaialble but the toilet rolls, baked beans, pasta and UHT milk had been ransacked. Those of us who visit India know that it's more than possible to live without loo roll. Selfish b@stards. I hate to wish ill on anyone but that kind of behaviour makes me see read.
    Stay safe, stay sane and carry on regardless! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband asked if I could pick up some couch medicine and paracetamol, just in case. I was surprised to find the shelves in Superdrug fully stocked. Other than that life goes on as normal. I work from home anyway so that doesn't feel any different, and we don't go out much (we sound like an interesting couple, don't we?), so staying at home of an evening is very familiar. We're following guidelines, and I'm avoiding the news (but then I always do) as I think the barrage of information is the reason for the panic buying and anxiety.
    I am a little sad that I won't be meeting up with a friend this weekend, but we can reschedule.
    Stay safe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is amazing how much toilet paper people have hoarded. I hope in 2 weeks I will find some as I have enough til then. I am isolated as have mild asthma and had double pneumonia yrs ago which had damaged my lungs a lot. My dr says to keep hidden away!. Randy is the only one I see and he is taking extreme measures as we ride this out together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My latest post....

    Gentle hugs,
    Stay safe,
    🌱 🌷 🌱

    ReplyDelete
  17. thankfully no shortage of things on store here despite of people trying to have extra stuff due to uncertain situation
    hubby has brought some stuff of basic need as one person can go out once a day after each two days

    i think govt should start some online programs to guide people and specially to keep them aware and calm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.