I have been eating lunch in the garden and having a little sleep in the afternoons sometimes. It's nice to walk on grass barefoot too. I'm not 100% at the mo to be honest so nurturing myself a little. Being outside is great therapy and being amongst colour is very important to me, am I alone? do you feel drawn to a colour one day, maybe another day another colour, having that colour close by makes you feel better, nourished?
I was very pleased with myself for growing lots of flowers from seed this year, devastating then to see my nasturtium population take a beating from the heavy rain and started to seed, but there were still lots of flowers left for a spot of painting.
I signed up for a local art group starting in October, I was with them years ago but work got in the way. With my revised shift pattern I can now join them once a month and am really looking forward to some guidance and inspiration. I will tell you more when I get started.
Summer is full on, yet it feels like Autumn is just waiting impatiently to come in... The rowan tree has berries already. We were momentarily distracted by the recent heat wave but normality is restored. Blackberry picking should be starting at the end of the month, although I have seen ripe berries already. I love picking, fingers all stained purple, basket full, avoiding the odd wasp that was there first... that signifies to me that Summer is sliding away, maybe a few weeks of heat before the cool in the mornings creep in. Elderberries are very sparse, I had a few spots earmarked but it looks it will be a hedgerow mix for the gin this year!
My youngest son took me on a lovely 5 1/2 mile field/wood walk ending with a pint of lemonade at the local pub, hubby picked us up so we didn't have to walk all the way back. I love thistles, we found virtually a whole field full of them and the hum from the bees was incredible, there were so many gathering for honey.
In fact I love any wild flowers, by the field full, I just have to lie down in them, soak up the beauty of it all....
we came upon a field of what I thought was cows, but I wouldn't lie in a field with these ... they had broken out into the woodland and were having a wonderful time soaking up some shade and eating new leafy things, then I realised they were all young bulls, not one udder in sight - I didn't know you could keep more than one bull in a field, there was a whole herd! they were fairly interested in us too! I admire the person who is brave enough to get this big lad back in the field!
This is the little church at Burstow we like to visit, it has a very special atmosphere and we sit in here for quite some time. I have blogged about it before, it's very old and has always been open when we turn up. It has bells, a beautiful wooden pulip, two altars, a lovely old stone font for baptisms and lots of very old gravestones dating back to the 16th century. Looks like we missed a wedding...
I made a quorn veggie bolognaise last night, using chilli and basil from the garden. We also have lots of little container grown tomatos. I regret not planting potatos - next year maybe, I never plan ..must plan...
My wobbly bench seat is ideal for holding my herb pots off the ground - away from cats and slugs.We still manage to squeeze in if a sit down is needed believe it or not - mint and basil smell great at nose height!
There have been very few butterflies in my garden this year despite having wild lilac in the woods (red admiral would visit I hoped). Only cabbage whites have been here (I think they were born in my nasturtium beds!), red admiral and more exotic species flutter over but keep on going. Lots of moths visit and on a few early evenings when sitting outside I saw bats fly over my fence.
It has been hot enough to wear some of my preloved finds here, they are going into the suitcase for India now. This is a preloved find: an Ankohi tee shirt with a lovely sequin azalea flower on the front, ideal for short waisted me as it's a crop.
and here's my Anokhi hand block printed top found for under a fiver ... The label says 16 and I usually wear a 12 or 14 depending on brand.. sizing on labels really is irrelevant. It is important when buying preloved to forget the sizing and if it bothers you then cut the label out - I recommend this, it's all in the mind. I don't look at labels, they can be depressing for some people. The bigger the better is my motto - I can take things in on my sewing machine but I think things hang a lot better if you go up a size and stop kidding yourself to be honest.
More fields ... I do love being surrounded. I am deaf so miss a lot of sounds, especially high notes... my son told me this field was humming with crickets... couldn't hear a thing!
I was very pleased with myself for growing lots of flowers from seed this year, devastating then to see my nasturtium population take a beating from the heavy rain and started to seed, but there were still lots of flowers left for a spot of painting.
I signed up for a local art group starting in October, I was with them years ago but work got in the way. With my revised shift pattern I can now join them once a month and am really looking forward to some guidance and inspiration. I will tell you more when I get started.
Summer is full on, yet it feels like Autumn is just waiting impatiently to come in... The rowan tree has berries already. We were momentarily distracted by the recent heat wave but normality is restored. Blackberry picking should be starting at the end of the month, although I have seen ripe berries already. I love picking, fingers all stained purple, basket full, avoiding the odd wasp that was there first... that signifies to me that Summer is sliding away, maybe a few weeks of heat before the cool in the mornings creep in. Elderberries are very sparse, I had a few spots earmarked but it looks it will be a hedgerow mix for the gin this year!
My youngest son took me on a lovely 5 1/2 mile field/wood walk ending with a pint of lemonade at the local pub, hubby picked us up so we didn't have to walk all the way back. I love thistles, we found virtually a whole field full of them and the hum from the bees was incredible, there were so many gathering for honey.
In fact I love any wild flowers, by the field full, I just have to lie down in them, soak up the beauty of it all....
![]() |
| nope, not coming out, not for anyone |
This is the little church at Burstow we like to visit, it has a very special atmosphere and we sit in here for quite some time. I have blogged about it before, it's very old and has always been open when we turn up. It has bells, a beautiful wooden pulip, two altars, a lovely old stone font for baptisms and lots of very old gravestones dating back to the 16th century. Looks like we missed a wedding...
I made a quorn veggie bolognaise last night, using chilli and basil from the garden. We also have lots of little container grown tomatos. I regret not planting potatos - next year maybe, I never plan ..must plan...
My wobbly bench seat is ideal for holding my herb pots off the ground - away from cats and slugs.We still manage to squeeze in if a sit down is needed believe it or not - mint and basil smell great at nose height!
My youngest brother has an allotment that is heaving with goodies, he is feeding his family from his allotment - whole meals - courgettes, beans, potatos; my other brother is a landscape gardener, where did I go wrong? why didn't the genes stretch to me just a little more!! Everyone always says they need more space, container gardening is popular, but everything dries out so quickly I find - it is a really big time commitment watering twice a day!
There have been very few butterflies in my garden this year despite having wild lilac in the woods (red admiral would visit I hoped). Only cabbage whites have been here (I think they were born in my nasturtium beds!), red admiral and more exotic species flutter over but keep on going. Lots of moths visit and on a few early evenings when sitting outside I saw bats fly over my fence.
It has been hot enough to wear some of my preloved finds here, they are going into the suitcase for India now. This is a preloved find: an Ankohi tee shirt with a lovely sequin azalea flower on the front, ideal for short waisted me as it's a crop.
and here's my Anokhi hand block printed top found for under a fiver ... The label says 16 and I usually wear a 12 or 14 depending on brand.. sizing on labels really is irrelevant. It is important when buying preloved to forget the sizing and if it bothers you then cut the label out - I recommend this, it's all in the mind. I don't look at labels, they can be depressing for some people. The bigger the better is my motto - I can take things in on my sewing machine but I think things hang a lot better if you go up a size and stop kidding yourself to be honest.








I'm just eating a lot!!!I love your painting of the Nasturtiums. It reminds me of an old vintage painting which I have, must dig it out and take a pic for you.
ReplyDeleteMy sister's allotment is making good progress and we should be able to harvest things soon. Yesterday, when we visited, I was dismayed to see so many other allotments burgeoning with edible food and some of it just going to ground or waste. The foodbanks here are crying out for stuff but they don't allow fresh produce. Seems rather ironic to me.
You look great, Betty and what a lovely post as always. Speak soon. xxx
So lovely to see a field of wildflowers, knapweed, yellow rattle, so many plants that have been going out of 'fashion'. We must not lose the loveliness of wild flowers. I found a Painted Lady butterfly in the garden recently, and also a Humming Bird Hawk moth. We used to see them in our French garden, so maybe the climate changes are bringing them here.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos, and paintings.
ReplyDeleteIt has been a long time since I've been walking in a field of wildflowers.
Over from Mumblings. Will be back.
I love how everything is growing and blooming. I have a large garden and the bees and flutterbys and hummers are so enjoying it!
ReplyDelete(O)
ReplyDeleteYour nasturtiums are beautiful.....there are some growing out by the back door and I'd like to take a shot at painting them but I don't want to paint where anyone can see me lol.
ReplyDeleteHi Betty! Summer looks good in your neck of the woods! I really should go thrift shopping. Maybe I will do it when the weather cools. When is India?
ReplyDeleteI need some UK stamps so I can send you a letter. I must have patience with the stamp vending machine at the post office.
Your walk sounds so fun and that church is beautiful.
A lovely post Betty. I am pleased you have found time to get to a painting group once a month as I know how you enjoy it & it can inspire us to be among like minded folk. I wish I had your lovely slim figure Betty - I am envious in a nice way. Everything looks lovely & summery. xx
ReplyDeletethankyou Julie, that's so kind of you, I probably am lucky to have a fast metabolism as all my family/brothers are thin (thinner than me), but as I am getting older I do work hard by going to the gym/swimming six days a week but I enjoy it so much it is not a chore.
DeleteI hope you're feeling better Betty.
ReplyDeleteMy niece often asks me what my favourite colour is but I can only ever answer 'well today it's [insert colour]', she doesn't understand that with so many beautiful colours I can't pick just one. Today it's orange, the bright orange of nasturtiums, like the ones coming to an end in my greenhouse. I know what you mean about watering twice a day, I rarely manage it, my tomatos are suffering a little as a result but I hope for a good crop.
I've seen a number of butterflies this year, they do love the flowers!
xx
nature has compelling power and who love nature can feel the force dear Betty :)
ReplyDeletelaying with flowers in the field ah sounds dream to me :)))
your son is so sweet to take you for walk , i am afraid of bulls ,once i saw a bull following girl who had worn red dress ,this was scary sight though girl was safe and bull was distracted by owner
i am happy for your art class readmission ,your art is already so GORGEOUS and it is good to learn how to better it as there is always need to learn more and more
your all images are beautiful my friend
but your own are SPLENDID, who can say you are mom of grown ups :) your fitness and appearance is inspiring :)
wishing you more blessings and happiness of life each step !
It does feel like we've had a good summer this year, the odd blip and then a few days of heat and sunshine. Your art is gorgeous and your descriptions of your free time are wonderfully evocative although I don't like to think of my favourite season hurrying to end.
ReplyDeleteLoving both outfits. You're so right, labels are nothing to get in a tizzy over - cut them out if you're bothered. Clothes look much better and feel nicer when they skim the body rather than cling to it! xxx
I hope you're feeling okay Betty :) Having colour around me is very important, it lifts me up and makes me feel so grateful for life! Oh the cows!! :) I love that you are back with your painting group. Is that your painting? Lovely! Watercolour is one of my favourite mediums!!!
ReplyDeleteI most certainly do have that thing with colour. I'm in a lime green phase at the moment, it's like fancying a particular food. You look lovely in your new tops, how exciting going to India! xx
ReplyDelete