I joined the Slow Fashion Season and committed to buy preloved for three months, wherever possible I will avoid major retailers for my clothing and only buy new if there is no other choice. I am currently avoiding the Summer Sales and have found some very pretty beach kaftans for forthcoming holidays, it's so nice not to be trekking round the shops, just a few nice charity shops, a bit of online hunting and these turned up.
This Monsoon kaftan was brand new condition but preloved price ....
![]() |
| preloved |
and this one also in good as new condition with sequins
![]() |
| preloved |
![]() |
| the full price/retail option |
but would have found it hard to justify the full price for something lovely like this only to wear on a beach for a few days. This is such a great way to fill your suitcase and save money for ... holiday shopping!!! (or a massage, which is my intention!). I have also found a couple of my favourite Anokhi tops which I will post another time as they are in the wash :)
I hopped on a train to Brighton on my day off. I headed straight to the beach. Later I browsed The Lanes. For those who want to shop preloved (me) there are a huge number of shops in Brighton that cater for those who love a bit of vintage boho clothing, some are very pricey (Adini maxi dress found for £189 for example) but not all... it's really just luck whether something catches your eye in your price range.
I am beginning to see that Slow Fashion Season does not necessarily mean cheap clothing. You will have to pay a fair price for something preloved which you really like (especially if it really is vintage), but then you have to appreciate that very likely someone has spent their time sourcing that item, cleaned (possibly even repaired) it, displayed it in a shop they have to rent, sat waiting for you to walk through the door... and the person who did all that wants and deserves a small profit.
or even a big profit. The value of something is, really, how badly you want it! On the other hand you will have done your bit for Slow Fashion, found something nobody else is likely to have, probably better made and of a good quality, maybe even a label you would normally consider out of your budget. It takes longer to find things and it's best to not go looking but just be pleased with what turns up!
It's not just clothes in The Lanes, there's the Oxfam book shop, pubs restuarants and a deli/butcher ... these two weren't with me but looked so sweet peering into the shop....
and if it's too hot on the beach, there's a shady park. This is Pelham Square Park, it's small, gated and I like it because there's always an empty bench, it's clean, shady and often all mine. After an hour sleeping on the beach it was a great way to cool down with a cold drink and my Lonely Planet India book.
![]() |
| Pelham Square park |
We finalised our bookings for our trip to India later this year and have a jam packed itinerary starting in Delhi, then Agra and Jaipur then ending up at the beach. We aim to see a long list of interesting places... The Palace of Wind, Anokhi Museum, Taj Mahal and the Ganges Ghats to name but a few.... ending with 6 days on the beach. November seems a long way off but there is still lots of planning to do, we like to use public transport where possible and need to familiarise ourselves by looking at maps.
I'm off to give the garden some attention, my hanging baskets are lovely but need watering twice a day just now and there is some weeding and lawn repair to do ... back soon. Leave a comment if you have time, especially if you have any tips for staying cool and elegant in India and if you are also participating in Slow Fashion Season would love to know if you are enjoying the challenge.












You have done well with your finds, Betty. I hadnt realised that Brighton was such a good place to source nice preloved clothing.
ReplyDeleteWe will be up in Sept, so maybe we might meet again?
i am happy for you dear Betty that your bookings are already done for my neighboring country :)
ReplyDeleteslow fashion sounds cool and i fell in love with your EXCELLENT ELEGANT clothes :) wonderful selection indeed.
India is vast country rich with diversity of urban and natural beauty
I heard Delhi is almost like our Islamabad
i bet you will enjoy the visit thoroughly
i hope your garden will get your attention and water as well
loved the park images and specially the bench :)
I'd be peering into that shop too lol! :) I love those dresses, they look so cool and comfy! Oh gosh, I have ZERO tips on how to keep cool at all, we installed the a/c's a few weeks ago! :)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to seeing your Anokhi tops!
ReplyDeleteI love just wandering into a charity shop and seeing what awaits. I don't often go looking for something specific, as it rarely turns up. That said I went looking for some sunglasses after I was left with just one pair, and good job I did as I have misplaced the pair I had, and am left with my secondhand find. With a festival coming up, and lots of time outside I'd be lost without them, but I didn't want to buy new, as I'm taking part in SFS too.
xx
There is a thrift store near me called RED, WHITE AND BLUE (benefits veterans) and I love to shop for bargains there. It has not only clothing but housewares and garden stuff, books, shoes, purses and more.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the tour of Brighton, I loved it. We're off to Bexhill-on_sea this weekend, somewhere neither of us have ever been to, I'm hoping we can squeeze in a bit of exploring when we're not at work.
ReplyDeleteLove both your kaftan finds. The full price one looks no different to yours except that it's displayed in a tempting fashion to encourage buyers to leave the shop with not only the top but the basket as well.
You're so right about slow fashion not just being about buying secondhand but to pay a fair price for it, too. If you truly love a garment the price is immaterial. xxx
I prefer going for pre-loved! unfortunately it can have its disadvantages..just got a lovely pair of fatface chinos for a fiver...fit beautifully but the zip does slide down...easily sorted...wear a long top!
ReplyDeleteEasy for me to get through the next 3 months without buying anything.....I seem to have gained rather a round body these last few months so absolutely nothing looks good on me anyway! I know what I have to do but for obvious reasons, can't even mention the word 'diet' in my family at the moment. I love all your 'new-to-you' things though, Betty. You'll wear them well in India, no doubt about that. Packed itinerary too. Well done.xx
ReplyDeleteYou are quite right about paying a fair price for something as part of Slow Fashion! Your kaftans are really pretty. I can't wait to see the Anokhi tops! I have been rather taken by them since reading about Vix's visit to the Anoukhi museum and her garments!! I also signed up for the Slow fashion season. Yesterday, I went to East Finchley to play at the Indonesian Ambassador's residence and as I was a bit early, I had a look in a charity shop near the station and there were so many nice things in there! I came out with a pretty Boden dress, a White stuff top that I'd seen in the original shop and really liked and then a nice floaty blue cotton Oasis top! I much prefer cotton and I am aware of how much water new garments need so it's much nicer to buy it secondhand!
ReplyDelete