Thank you to blogging friends for your birthday wishes for my 60th. I had some lovely pressies:
My long time blogging buddy Nana (Anne) sent me a lovely package with all sorts of goodies including a beeswax sandwich bag - I had been reading about them only the day before mine arrived, re-usable so very planet friendly as means cutting out cling film :) There were lots of other goodies in her parcel including a really nice tea towel, silk covered handmade paper booklet, bee friendly flower seeds too, really prettily packaged and a lot of thought given to my personal likes. Thank you Anne I am so chuffed with everything.
Another pressie was this beach bag, from Wyatt&jack made from recycled rubber dingies/lilo's/bouncy castles, it's strong and roomy and is a great way to recycle things that often end up discarded or, worse still, clogging up the sea.
My sons gave me an engraved gold bangle and lots of flowers and chocolates. Thorougly spoilt!
Back from a week of sunbathing and relaxing in Cape Verde. There was very little to do except read a good book and eat, sunbathe and repeat.
As it was my 60th, our holiday was my birthday pressie from hubby and the hotel very generously gave a complimentary room upgrade from standard to a huge apartment with own kitchen, lounge, big tellies, big bed and power showered bathroom, followed by a complimentary birthday cake and bottle of fizz on the big day.
Some pics below of some things I wore, mostly either old favourites, charity shopped or ebay.
I do regret the newly purchased £4 wasted Primark hat, it didn't last the week and had a nasty plastic thread round the brim, not very eco friendly, will now be looking out for a preloved sun hat that doesnt endanger sealife.
The day was spent with my toes in the sand watching enormous waves and kite surfers (the National Championships started in Cape Verde while we were there), the waves were as powerful as lorries and as high as houses at times so the red flag was up all the time, but nonetheless I enjoyed the beautiful beach.
70s band Tavares had connections with the island as their parents lived there. One of the band (far right with sunglasses) owns a small guest house in the centre of Santa Maria, Sal.
My new on holiday motto
was not too hard to maintain, it's a very small island, no greenery/flora; their only product is fresh fish, all other food is imported by container ships weekly and what's inside is a surprise - that week they were lacking ibuprofen and paracetamol (luckily we had brought plenty). The landscape is brown and dusty, the town is the same although the houses are painted in bright colours, the Portuguese influence, shich really lifted the spirits, we were hassled by keen Senegalese men selling trinkets and telling you they were the waiter at your hotel that morning and would like to now be your friend/excursion guide/taxi driver (which we dont mind, they are trying to earn a living). The Cape Verdean people are friendly, laid back, their motto is 'no stress' and they live by it.
We got to sample the local brew, Grogue, made from sugar cane, 40% proof, tastes like white rum. The Islands have their own music called Morna, a bit Blues in style, it's a combo of Portuguese, Cuban and Creole in style.
I had the best time on the public beach watching some dogs jumping waves, I didn't know dogs did this. They were having a lot of fun.
Not too many pics of the things I wore as most of the time was spent in swimwear and sarongs - I could have travelled a lot lighter (again!).
On our return there was a further birthday treat, a trip to see Circus of Horrors (a human circus of odd acts such as knife throwers, legless acrobat, sword swallower, contortionists, trapeze and much more ... I love this show and was lucky to get seats very close to the stage this year. and even got a pic of me with Dok Haze himself!
I'm off now to catch up on your blogs. Back soon.
My long time blogging buddy Nana (Anne) sent me a lovely package with all sorts of goodies including a beeswax sandwich bag - I had been reading about them only the day before mine arrived, re-usable so very planet friendly as means cutting out cling film :) There were lots of other goodies in her parcel including a really nice tea towel, silk covered handmade paper booklet, bee friendly flower seeds too, really prettily packaged and a lot of thought given to my personal likes. Thank you Anne I am so chuffed with everything.
![]() |
| Beach bag with amber for size reference |
Another pressie was this beach bag, from Wyatt&jack made from recycled rubber dingies/lilo's/bouncy castles, it's strong and roomy and is a great way to recycle things that often end up discarded or, worse still, clogging up the sea.
My sons gave me an engraved gold bangle and lots of flowers and chocolates. Thorougly spoilt!
Back from a week of sunbathing and relaxing in Cape Verde. There was very little to do except read a good book and eat, sunbathe and repeat.
| Me being 60 |
As it was my 60th, our holiday was my birthday pressie from hubby and the hotel very generously gave a complimentary room upgrade from standard to a huge apartment with own kitchen, lounge, big tellies, big bed and power showered bathroom, followed by a complimentary birthday cake and bottle of fizz on the big day.
Some pics below of some things I wore, mostly either old favourites, charity shopped or ebay.
I do regret the newly purchased £4 wasted Primark hat, it didn't last the week and had a nasty plastic thread round the brim, not very eco friendly, will now be looking out for a preloved sun hat that doesnt endanger sealife.
The day was spent with my toes in the sand watching enormous waves and kite surfers (the National Championships started in Cape Verde while we were there), the waves were as powerful as lorries and as high as houses at times so the red flag was up all the time, but nonetheless I enjoyed the beautiful beach.
70s band Tavares had connections with the island as their parents lived there. One of the band (far right with sunglasses) owns a small guest house in the centre of Santa Maria, Sal.
My new on holiday motto
take nothing with you but memories
leave nothing behind but footprints
was not too hard to maintain, it's a very small island, no greenery/flora; their only product is fresh fish, all other food is imported by container ships weekly and what's inside is a surprise - that week they were lacking ibuprofen and paracetamol (luckily we had brought plenty). The landscape is brown and dusty, the town is the same although the houses are painted in bright colours, the Portuguese influence, shich really lifted the spirits, we were hassled by keen Senegalese men selling trinkets and telling you they were the waiter at your hotel that morning and would like to now be your friend/excursion guide/taxi driver (which we dont mind, they are trying to earn a living). The Cape Verdean people are friendly, laid back, their motto is 'no stress' and they live by it.
We got to sample the local brew, Grogue, made from sugar cane, 40% proof, tastes like white rum. The Islands have their own music called Morna, a bit Blues in style, it's a combo of Portuguese, Cuban and Creole in style.
I had the best time on the public beach watching some dogs jumping waves, I didn't know dogs did this. They were having a lot of fun.
Not too many pics of the things I wore as most of the time was spent in swimwear and sarongs - I could have travelled a lot lighter (again!).
Dok Haze Circus of Horrors, The Hawth, Crawley 2019
On our return there was a further birthday treat, a trip to see Circus of Horrors (a human circus of odd acts such as knife throwers, legless acrobat, sword swallower, contortionists, trapeze and much more ... I love this show and was lucky to get seats very close to the stage this year. and even got a pic of me with Dok Haze himself!
Interested? links here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE89ce4lDCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sov_py4eU
![]() |
| Dok Haze |
I'm off now to catch up on your blogs. Back soon.









Fantastic holiday. I have travelling envy reading this. It's so interesting how one packs really light for a trip/holiday, and then it turns out we could have packed lighter. It's nice to see someone (you) being eco friendly even with clothes. It's a big thing in New Zealand, being respectful of the environment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting. Yes, the UK is slow to respond to environmental issues, supermarkets are still churning out plastic bags and packaging on food is still not all recycleable - there's so much to do.
DeleteIt looks like you had such a good time, Betty. So sorry not to send you birthday wishes, I'm sure you understand that my life is a bit upside down at the moment....but getting there slowly.
ReplyDeleteI think we all make the mistake of packing too many clothes, 'just in case', but you looked very chic in your choices.
Thank you Elizabeth, I know you have a lot going on, hope hubby can have his trip to the Veterans this year and that you and I can have a get together when you're over this way. Fingers crossed.
DeleteHappy Belated Birthday...sounds like you had a good one.
ReplyDeleteWonderful Betty! Looks like a great time & what a wonderful way to celebrate your 60 years on this planet. The photos of you are great & I love your clothing items. I am guessing it was back to cold temps for you?
ReplyDeleteUK is wet and windy but gradually heading towards spring. I am getting ready for bluebells :)
DeleteGlad you had a joyous birthday! Seems like they come along way too fast anymore!
ReplyDeleteyes I am struggling with age and ageism at the mo
DeletePics are great and thanks for the travelogue on the island. I think I'd like the music! Glad you had such a special time for your significant birthday, you deserved it. That bag must weigh a ton when it's filled, it's huge!!Have a great weekend, Betty.xxx
ReplyDeleteyes that is a very large bag, but am hoping it will be perfect for cabin luggage on short trips as it fits the max limits - I always end up lugging everyones towels on holidays so it will help with that too!
DeleteWhat a brilliant and memorable birthday you had! Gorgeous gifts, a wonderfully relaxing break and a spellbinding night out. It sounds like your 60th year is going to be a good one.
ReplyDeleteCap Verde sounds fascinating especially having the Portuguese heritage. We had a white rum very similar to the one you sampled in Salvador in Brazil. Gorgeous.
Your outfits looked fantastic, practical but glamorous, too. You look so good in a wide brimmed hat, why not invest in one from Christy's (look on eBay), they're made in the UK and should last a lifetime. You're far too fabulous for Primark! xxx
thanks, i will look at Christy's. I like hats but rarely find one that stays on as have a small head!
DeleteWow i am in spell with your STUNNING images dear Betty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteyou are such an elegant lady with charming smile and shining eyes
i think there is some mistake
this looks like your forty something birthday i believe :)))
your very first photo is worth seeing again and again ,so pretty and much alive !
receiving gifts from blogging friend is truly a joy
place where you stayed is absolutely beautiful and serene
you should use variety of hats as you look gorgeous in them :)
more showers of blessings upon you my precious friend!
hugs!
A belated Happy Birthday! What a super way to celebrate.
ReplyDeletexx
Many good wishes for a birthday that was clearly a good one.
ReplyDeleteLoved seeing your photographs.
All the best Jan