Thursday, 14 February 2019

Valentines Day Memory

Happy Valentines day!

I remember when I was 12, opening my front door and seeing the footpath all the way to the gate covered in red rose petals.  I had an admirer! But I didnt want one.  I  walked along the edge of the path avoiding the petals with my nose up in the air, my admirer waiting at the gate



 I was so embarrassed, it was the 14 year old boy from up the road, the one who knew me better than I knew myself, sat on the garage roof with me chatting, always had time for me, even when his brothers were dismantling their motorbikes on the living room floor and calling him  to help, he would rather be hanging out with me  He was one of a family of 9 children that my brothers and I spent so much time with, we might as well all have lived in the same house!, we were all like brothers and sisters, our mother went to work and his mother looked after us all and vice versa.  Looking back it was such a kind and well intentioned gesture to a shy little girl but I was really angry with him for being 'soft' and told him so.


No,  we didn't marry, he turned out to be gay and lived happily ever after with someone special... and I married someone special that he would definitely have liked and approved of.  ....

speaking of whom my lovely hubby is taking me on holiday to Cape Verde in a few days  time as a special treat, it will be my 60th birthday... .  I had better start thinking about packing!

I painted some tulips on silk for you...





16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks for dropping in - I know you are mega busy on your travels, which I am following :)

      Delete
  2. Betty, have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, will blog it to death on my return!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet story and a happy ending!
    I love your silk painting, a refreshing alternatives to the rose overload.
    Wishing you the happiest of birthdays and a wonderful trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vix. Yes a happy ending, i was lucky to have such a loyal friend back in my early years, what with him and my brothers I was very well protected!

      Delete
  4. Yay! You'll be in the 60 years old club with me. I hope your holiday is fantastic, sweet Betty.
    Aw, what a nice friend to scatter rose petals for you. That's a very sweet memory!
    I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, yes it is a club sort of - I am finding loads of people are already in it and it's the new 40!

      Delete
  5. You don't look a day over 46!!Lovely painting, reminds me of Rennie Mackintosh!I'm sure this holiday will be another great success. Will write soon.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, that's very kind of you :) I took a look at Rennie Mackintosh's lovely work. Would love to do something like that on stained glass - one day!

      Delete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing trip! I love the scarf you painted. Always admire them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is beautiful story Betty!

    no matter what he will always be existing in your memories sitting beside you in garage floor having all the time for you

    God made you meet man who loves you more than anyone else and so do you :)

    Happy birthday my friend ,may you have many more filled with true joy and peace !

    have blessed trip and enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. and THANK YOU for such gorgeous tulips :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I read I was hoping you married that 14 year old boy. Good job you didn't, at least you both got a happily ever after. Are you still in contact with him?
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.