Sunday, 5 March 2017

Birds

It's Sunday, the skies are grey and there is a sleety hailstone downpour going on outside, inside it's warm and cosy and an ideal opportunity to have the paints out....





There are no birds today, they are hiding in the trees.  No morning cup of tea in the garden whilst Ambercat watches with me while the birds swoop in for bread and nuts .. too wet today... so here's a little robin and a blue tit to fill the emptiness while we wait for the weather to improve.... I think the robin needs a bit more work, he looks a bit angry.




There is a small nest box in the garden which teenage boy made years ago, a couple of blue tits have been investigating, with all the cats around it's unlikely they will stay - but it's fun watching them, and hoping...




This week I will try to paint every day that I am home, just a little at a time... I'm rusty and get bored quickly you see.

By the way my most favourite author and self taught artist, Susan Branch, took a peek in here and gave me some really kind advice about painting in reply to a comment I left on her blog.  She suggested using online tutorials from Youtube .  This is where the watercolour birds have originated from - tutorials, anyone can have a go and it's very helpful if, like me, you don't know which bits to fill in first or where shadow needs to go.



This is what I want the woods to look like - full of celandine and wood amenone, hints of bluebells - too early yet but it's nice to be reminded.... can't wait to walk through woods ankle deep in bluebells and smell their lovely perfume - is there such a thing bottled? I wish.... plenty of these at the moment - catkins, nodding away just behind my fence... buds on branches too.




Have you been out looking for signs of Spring?  It's muddy in the woods here and very little to see - although I was surprised by some snowdrops growing under the silver birch trees...




My birthday was good, having had a great day out in Brighton with my youngest brother, I went back and did it all again later that week with teenage boy who treated me to another lunch at Leon - I love their food.



I had lots of pressies, one of the best is these pretty knitting needles and soft merino wool in my favourite colour from my blogging buddy Nana this wool is all the way from New Zealand and has 15% possum fluff!  I think it will be just enough for a hat.  There was also lots of Irn Bru Crumble and Coconut Ice but it was swooped upon so I can't show you... I had wine and flowers, beautiful white orchids, a night out at an Indian restuarant... I was very spoilt and felt much loved and appreciated.


Do you bid or sell on EBay?  I do infrequently, I won an EBay bid for 'Along Came Betty' (Tesco/discontinued) and won the toiletries bag and contents (all sealed and brand new) for £6.50 including the postage.

source: Google
The contents were a bonus, it was the bag I wanted, for holiday packing... later this year we are going to Costa Rica, I will have to tell you all about it nearer the time, but there will be a trip to the Cloud Forest, volcano, hot springs, lots of exciting stuff... and a girl needs a decent waterproof travel bag for her things - so this is it :D


 I will be back later in the month - hope you have time to leave a comment so I know you passed this way, tell me a bit about where you live, the landscape, the wildflowers, the trees.  Make a cup of tea, help yourself to a biscuit and stay awhile.

14 comments:

  1. I think your birds are beautiful, Betty. not sure you need a tutorial!
    It is so lovely now to see the beginnings of Spring, with daffodils everywhere, blossom on some of the fruit trees, and little bits of colour around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, you're very kind but I have a lot to learn and want to be so much better. I think your part of the country is enjoying Spring earlier than ours (my brother lives near you, he's a landscape gardener and is finding work picking up as gardens come to life).

      Delete
  2. Your birthday celebrating sounds fabulous and not confined to one day. Food, family, friends, gifties. Lovely. I like your two bird paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we traditionally do a birthday week in our house! everyone gets the treatment - why make it just a day, it ensures anyone who forgot has time to put things right and the parties not over until the flowers start to wilt :D

      Delete
  3. Hello Betty - it sounds like the perfect day to be tucked away painting. Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you ... that wool looks beautiful & soft. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday Betty. We are just getting touches of autumn here - which is most welcome after a hot summer. Have a lovely week my friend x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I think I prefer Autumn to Spring, all those log fires, cosy blankets and beautiful falling leaves.

      Delete
  4. I mailed a letter to you yesterday!
    I think your birds are wonderful!
    I hope the sun shines soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I will look forward to your letter - I love post. Sun is shining this morning :D

      Delete
  5. Really horrible weather here yesterday with lots of fog but today it's been a lot brighter. How great that Susan Branch replied to you. Do you watch that painting programme on Sunday evenings just before 'Midwife'? I think you can paint better than any of them!Great scoop getting the travel bag, it literally had your name on it!!Glad your birthday went really well.Have a great week, Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the program, yes. when the first series came out they emailed asking if I would like to take part - it would mean a lot of time off work so wasn't possible but I admire these people for participating as they have to paint things that they aren't good at as well as things they are so expose all their weaknesses. I like the deaf boys work.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your painted birds!!!! You are so talented! They made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rose, glad I have made you smile.

      Delete
  7. Costa Rica? How exciting! I bet you're already on countdown!!
    Your pctures are just beautiful, I love them.
    There's wild garlic and frogspawn in our garden today, Spring is near! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love YouTube videos! So much good instruction, free of charge. What a deal! I also "travel" a lot via these videos. :) So many wonderful treats you've received. It's still a little stark and wintery here in northern Minnesota, but it is warming up. It always amazes me how quickly winter passes and once again there is the hope of spring. Enjoy your little part of the world...and knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.