Monday, 13 June 2016

Early June


 I am waking much earlier (around 5am) lately as the birds are noisy.   I like early mornings for sitting in the garden with tea, I say my prayers there and then water/tend my plants before waking the men..  It's my favourite time of day.  Even if it's raining I still like to go out there.

Source: Google

This weekend has been all about the Queen as she shared her 90th birthday celebrations with everyone in the UK (and beyond).  There was a lot of tv coverage, she wore this fabulous fuschia pink coat and hat on Sunday for her tea party event; people had hampers with lovely food and sat and watched the parade which was themed on various services/charities that she is a patron of (600 in total), there was music and dancing.  There was torrential rain at times here and in London but they all managed to have a wonderful day. 


and there was another birthday as Amber cat turned 14.



The night scented garden is coming along well, when it rains I can smell stock and geranium...  I have been going to the market every weekend and the flower lady has been pointing out plants that will work well, this week it was a huge Jasmine, as I bought it on the way in to work, it was in the office all day and had a lot of comments on its wonderful fragrance as colleagues walked to and fro.



One of my brothers is a landscape gardener, He advised that I should cover every inch of soil with plants so no room for weeds and the flowers will fight each other for space, growing taller and bigger - it seems to be working!  Early days yet, but that fence was only put a few weeks back so the plants are very new.



I have cleaned all my rugs and laundered all my curtains, I was in a Spring cleaning mood.  It smells of sandalwood and patchouli as I have been using aromatherapy oils.

Clean rugs! the fluffy thing bottom left is Ambers tail!

The latest Susan Branch book arrived (Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams)  I had been so looking forward to it and finished it in 4 days!  It wasn't quite what I expected, something was missing I felt, an unfinished story - a bit like the fairy on top of the Christmas tree was missing, perhaps there will be another book ... but there was lots of happy stuff and loads of quotes, recipes and pictures and, of course, all in that delightful handwritten print.... I must go back over it as she mentions books I want to read and I love to look once more at the illustrations throughout, not to mention the recipes! I have not tried one yet - have you? the apple crisp and cinnamon pastry looks interesting.....

We have a lot of birds visiting: nuthatch, starling, swift, robin, mistle thrush, magpie, jay, blue tit, blackbird and wood pigeon.  Have you ever heard a squirrel grunting and chattering? we have two very young ones visiting, they eat the small apples forming on my tree - they grunt and chatter.



There hasn't been any time for painting so the next few weeks I aim to make time and get my brushes out.  There is so much to inspire at the moment, with the woods full of cow parsley, wild ox eye daisies, buttercups and clover.. and dragon flies with gold wings....



 
back sometime soon, thanks for stopping by....

16 comments:

  1. I do love to see photos of Ambercat Betty ... she is such a beautiful girl. Lovely to see her so relaxed ... belated birthday wishes to her the dear girl. Your scented garden is looking wonderful .. its lovely to watch it grow as we are in the midst of winter here so I can enjoy it all the more. We watched the Queens birthday celebrations over here too & I did love her bright pink outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad you can see the Queen over there - wasn't she looking beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks great, so well established and lush. Your brother's tip sounds very sensible. we really ought to get some more plants from the car boot sale.
    Ambercat is gorgeous, how content and happy she looks. cat fur gets everywhere - it clogs up my machine for weeks when I wash their favourite cushions and covers!
    Funnily enough I Googled "Sewing Rooms" for inspiration and one was Susan Branch's, I'd never heard of her until you mentioned her. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks vix, yes, we have cat hair issues too, the men take it turns to brush Amber, infact she gets brushed by one of us at least once a day or we would be knee deep in hair! oh yes, do try and take a look at SB books, she is best known for her recipe books.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful garden!
    Glad the Queen got her party...not sure I'd have paid the £150 to go to it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hampers looked delicious don't you think? and even though it rained everyone looked so happy!

      Delete
  4. I love jasmine too. Great shot of the dragonfly. Show us more of your garden please Betty. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um, there isn't much more! you are kind... but it's tiny ha ha - when things grow a bit more I will bore the pants off you all with close ups of things!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your queen. For a 90 year old lady she looks beautiful! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog too. I think you will love Hill Top. Wishing you a good time.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture of your back garden; it looks peaceful and oh-so-lovely.

    I follow 2 blogs about Duchess Kate, so have read much about the Queen'size birthday celebrations. What did you think of the green coat she wore to Trooping the Colour? (I loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber is so cute! I want to kiss her! I saw Henry today (Amber's male twin who lives at our Kelli's house) and he is lovely. I thought of Amber. I love your queen. She is so pretty, so strong. I'm glad you liked Susan Branch's most recent book. I love her painting most of all. I wish you refreshing walks in the woods, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. Your garden looks lovely! Amber, the cat catches the show though. She looks like quite a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice post, I have enjoyed reading it. Your brother's garden advice is perfect re the intense planting to beat the weeds. Your garden is looking lovely. Happy birthday to Amber, she is beautiful. I hope you are having a happy weekend, Betty.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Betty. Such a pretty time of year in your neck of the woods. Enjoy your new painting activities, and share them soon, even your rough sketches. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Queen in her fuchsia pink is quite lovely in deed. When my husband and I were just in Canada I picked up a book dedicated to her birthday with many photos and a brief illustration of her life and was pleased with it. Quite the keepsake.

    Your time in the garden praying in the early mornings written a cup of tea is a perfect way too being a day. I too enjoy the early mornings when all is still and quiet. Jesus arose early to pray as well.

    I must agree with your brother about the weeds. My flower garden when it was full kept the weeds to a minimum.
    Your is gorgeous.

    Sweet blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Amber cat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.