Friday, 1 July 2016

Flowers

 One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats... Iris Murdoch. 
  I like Iris Murdoch's quote, it's become a bit of a motto for me.  Do you have treats sometimes? I hope so.

 I have a Russian friend who has the most beautiful wooden, laquered kitchenware brought with her when she left Moscow, which I have admired for many years.  She gave me this pretty soup ladle and dish recently (after I had admired it longingly yet again!) isn't it the most beautiful pattern?   A few of my paintings in the past were inspired by these designs (the silk painted cushion on my sidebar is one).



...and I have had other treats this month.  I had an unexpected package filled with delicious Scottish sweets from Nana which I had never tried before: there was orange fudge, Irn Bru bon bons and Macs (macs are my favourite, a sort of creamy centred bounty flavoured melt in the mouth sweet).


I have lovely neighbours either side, one is a very keen cook and makes delicious cakes and sweets often - today we were given cinder toffee, a sugar honeycomb dipped in chocolate, very sweet and chewy.  It was beautifully packaged and even had my name on!



My Susan Branch book has finished, I tried to make it last but it was just too hard. So I found a few of her old recipe books on Amazon (another treat!) and as they weren't new they only cost pennies. The recipe measurements need converting first and then a bit of translation on ingredients too from US to UK before I dare attempt anything.


Here's some scribbles of watercolour I have been doing here and there.... cosmos, lupin, cornflowers, nasturtiums, geraniums, snapdragons.  All flowering in the garden now.


I am not going to detail my thoughts on the recent UK Referendum vote to leave the EU; other than to say I am feeling positive and am not afraid of the changes ahead.  I like to keep my blog a place to retreat from real world issues.


The garden is becoming a very nice place to be, it smells of jasmine, stock, roses, herbs and lavender, I am very pleased.

plants beginning to cover the new fencing


my front garden is looking cheery

After working the weekend I have the week ahead off to explore the woods, the UK weather has been wet with flash floods some days, overcast most others but it should be improving next week.  Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment if you have a moment and I will know you passed this way.

12 comments:

  1. That Nana is so good (just like YOU!) Funny story: I couldn't resist my Brighton Rock any longer so I began eating it, licking it, and then biting it and guess what happened? My crown came off! So yesterday I had to drive up to downtown Denver and have it glued back on! No charge (a bonus) but I knew you'd appreciate silly Pom Pom biting and having dire results! I should have saved it for my Washington trip.
    Your paintings are glorious, Betty!
    The lovely Russian gift is so special, so pretty!
    Take care, good girl! I shall paint you a letter very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was joking when I said 'mind your teeth' ... so sorry the Brighton rock did so much damage!

      Delete
  2. I love to see your paintings, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are so many choices for inspiration .. and so little time ..!

      Delete
  3. I love your painting so much! They are so lovely! You would enjoy painting the flowers in my gardens! I have been laid up since May 25th and can only enjoy them from the windows. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a so sorry you are stuck indoors, Rose - after all your hard work nurturing your garden it must be very disappointing you can't get out in it. I hope things improve for you soon.

      Delete
  4. Your entire post is a treat for the eyes! The Russian dishes, your garden and YOUR PAINTINGS- oh my! All beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, all this rain in the UK is a little depressing, but I guess the flourishing garden is the reward, we are lucky we can just pop something in the ground and expect it to do the rest for us!

      Delete
  5. Your paintings are beautiful and the nature music you have playing on your blog goes so beautifully with them.
    What a lovely gift your friend gifted you with. I'm sure you will treasure it for years to come.

    Have a blessed weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ladle is beautiful! What a good friend! It is nice when neighbors come together and find they are of like mind on a problem. Yay! Love the paintings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving your watercolors! What sweet treats, and nice people who shared with you. Your garden is pretty, and jasmine on the side will be wonderful! That worked out well for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting and your garden are absolutely gorgeous, full of colour and life.
    Hooray for surprise parcels. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.