Thursday, 19 May 2016

A little birdsong, a breeze through an open door, a few moments to spare, would you like to come in? .... I've been doing a little painting or two.. still wet from the brush.

 
 Clover and buttercup to brighten the day.  A cup of tea in my Beatrix mug ...


 So I painted the last of the bluebells for this year, it will be a long time until they are here again... yes, only one week since I was in the ancient woods admiring them and this week they are all gone, withered, turned to seed and dying down.  In their place is a carpet of wild ramsons, their distinct garlic aroma mingled with the damp mossy smell of the woods.


Wild flowers are taking over every space (dead nettle, yellow archangel, borage, woodruff).  |The trees are plumping out with foliage so I can't see where the nests are now, wild honeysuckle is twisting and twining, birds are constantly in song, competing for air space for both sound and flight. 



Out in the fields horses were grazing and we sat on the grass and rested.  Although the ground looks smooth, it was difficult to walk on because sheep had trodden everywhere with their little cloven feet leaving a mishmash of uneven ground and sheep footy potholes for us to work our way through.  You have to wonder why sheep weren't made with flat feet,  it would be so much easier for them to get around.


There are plans afoot around here for the Queens birthday celebrations in June, two fields have been cleared of sheep and signs are up asking dog walkers to keep the fields clean for the planned events.  There is going to be some kind of party.

algae covered lake, no dragonfly yet


wonky access to fields via stile (it was easier to climb the gate!)

Thank you for the advice on slugs - the beer traps are working quite well and I have been picking off any escapees early each morning and feeding to the toads in my shed.  However, there are just so many of these little enemies that I think we may have to resort to pellets.


Some of the cottages around the area take great care of their frontage at this time of year, isn't this Spring wreath pretty?  It makes me want to rush out and make one too!  Hanging baskets are out in the neighbourhood, I just put mine out along with my pretty blue pots - here's mine with the pink daisies.


I just finished reading Bear Gryll's book 'a Survival Guide for Life'.All  his books are about survival on some level or other, this one was about spiritual survival.   He touched on his experiences as an SAS soldier, it was evident throughout that he has a strong faith and relies on his Bible (many quotes).  He's a great role model for young boys.


Library books on my Hudl (Up with the Larks is good too)

 In the UK we have been watching a tv series of his called 'The Island' where he puts a group of average people on a deserted island and leaves them to film themselves surviving for 6 weeks.  Although these people had their conflicts, starved at times and also encountered danger, they found the ability to survive mostly by kindness to each other.  I think that is what BG was hoping, he mentions kindness often.  I hope you can get the book as I know you would like it (mine was from the library).



Bookless for only a moment, in my lunch break yesterday, scanning a discount book shop's shelves with only 10 minutes to spare, I found one that is just perfect for me!  It tells you what nature is doing month by month and suggests some good places in the UK to go for rambles and nature watches - somewhere to see bluebells, dragonflies, bats ... that kind of thing. There are note pages to jot down my own observations.  A piece of treasure for pennies.... what are you reading?



I'm off now for five minutes in the garden with the birds, stay awhile if you like, leave the door ajar.. back some time, not sure when.....



16 comments:

  1. Your paintings are lovely, Betty. I was hoping you might have received you swap parcel by now...look forward to hearing that it has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing so far, I hope my partner gets hers anytime now, will update you when they arrive.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous paintings and a lovely dialogue to accompany your photos, Betty.
    Those pink blooms are so pretty!
    I can't bear being bookless. Poundland usually have a decent range if you're desperate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, POundland and also their DVDs can be a surprise, might have a browse (they do great gardening gloves too :D)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post Betty, I love your paintings & your flowering pots are cheery. It is turning cold here now ... wool socks on today. Thanks for the tip about the book - I really love Bear Grylls so will ask at my local Library for that one. Have a great weekend Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my library does online books to read on your Hudl, very lucky. I guess you are heading into Autumn now, hope you are all warm and toasty.

      Delete
  4. Hi Betty! I'm stiff and sore from gardening. I hope I wake up peppy tomorrow because I have lots of planting to do.
    I love your bluebells. I bet it's sad when they run their course.
    You live in such a lovely land, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we do have some beautiful countryside here. Gardening really takes it out of you the next day with aches in places you didn't know you had! maybe raised gardening is what we all need? (can be done sitting in a chair!)

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed all of your beautiful little nature descriptions. The Bear Gryll book sounds good. I'll make a note of it! Your Beatrix Potter mug looks very inspirational. It reminds me of watching "Miss Potter" and watching her (well the actress) paint. I think stiles are such a clever invention. I see they put one on the book cover as well. But you're right; it's probably just as easy to climb over the gate! Ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I watched that film too, I loved the way she was portrayed. Styles are ok if they are maintained, ours all seem to have wonky bits!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tips about the Bear Grylls book and Up With the Larks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find the books, Up with the Larks is lovely - all about a family living the dream in the country, my secret ambition!

      Delete
  7. I love your paintings! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, you are always so encouraging and it's really appreciated.

      Delete
  8. I love you paintings you are very talented.
    You live in a lovely place.
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jacky, yes this country has some very lovely spots. I am lucky to live with woodland behind me and yet under the flight path of the local airport (plenty of work!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.