Monday, 4 April 2016

Daffodils




 Easter was peaceful and renewing in an unexpected way for me as I spent most of it recovering from a nasy flu bug.  First few days up were spent in the garden in a warm coat watching two robins build a nest in the ivy on my fence.  I thought the cats would be a problem but the robins just seem to plan their day around any interruptions.

Oh and as storm Katie finished off the fence, we have  a new uninterrupted view of the woods; squirrels scampering up and down the pine trees, doves and wood pigeons, crows, blue tits all coming and going in full view as I positioned my chair by the gap.  I saw two bullfinch today with their black heads and deep red chests, that's the reward for sitting quietly in the garden.  I will make the most of the new view as it will be repaired soon.



As soon as my new Susan Branch book (The Fairytale Girl) arrived in the post I rushed through it like an elephant  and just could not put it down it was so wonderful.  Now I am bookless!  Is there anything to top SB books? (apart from her next which I have already pre-ordered).

 The second series of Homefires started last night in the UK.  Are you watching too? I think there's something about wartime programmes that brings out the best intentions in us all (make do and mend, home made meals, grow your own).  I love the ladies fashions on this programme, I suspect in real wartime clothing would have been a little threadbear and less rich in colour, but it makes great viewing.

Also The Durrells started last night which is fabulous.  What an unusual and carefree childhood he had.  It's very funny too.  I love the film set of the house they have moved to on Corfu and the colourful characters that are coming into their lives.



I have lots of grape hyacinth and miniature daffodils in my garden for painting inspiration at the moment and this weekend a nice fat brown package arrived stuffed with bulbs for the Summer, I do hope we get a dry weekend soon to plant them - have you made any plans for your Summer garden?  I am still thinking of the night scented garden idea - planning is almost more fun than actually doing (and less hard work!).

Today I saw a sprinking of early bluebells - the first this year - so next time I pop in I think it will be a post all about bluebells. I think the short period when bluebells are in the woods is my most favourite time of the year.

Thanks for stopping by, leave a comment if you have a moment to spare.  Bye for now.....








19 comments:

  1. Scents in the evening are lovely, and I always plant white Nicotiana in pots on the terrace, together with Night Scented Stock. Lovely!
    Hope you feel really well soon, there have been too many of these flu bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am feeling much better, I love the idea of nicotiana in pots - we do get the wild pink stuff in abundance down by the river too so I am lucky to have that free!

      Delete
  2. It's bluebell time again? How lovely!
    I wish we had your television programming. Ours is "rubbish".
    I like to think about the garden now. We have to wait a while because it's still frosty at night and we could even get more snow. Boo.
    Your paintings are so pretty. I wish I could sit and view the sights at your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too, it would be lovely to sit together and peer into the woods through the big fence hole and chat over tea! We are lucky with our tv programs, I thought about a susan branch style review for one of them but would that spoil it for everyone in the USA who haven't yet seen Homefires 2, The Durrells and all the other great stuff we are getting fed!

      Delete
    2. I think that's a good idea and no it wouldn't spoil it for us. It would make us even more eager to see it!

      Delete
  3. It is lovely how you make the most of any situation. Always looking on the bright beautiful side. I think sitting in the garden taking advantage of the uninterrupted view to observe birds and little squirrels is a great way to rest while recuperating.

    Susan Branch has the most wonderful books and i can see why you can't get enough. She puts her talents to good use.

    Here daffodils and tulips are shyly poking through the ground and not rushing. I'm looking forward to some colors. Your water colors are always beautiful.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia, yes I am so lucky to look out and not look at neighbours and houses staring back at me! (well not at the bottom of the garden anyway!) I think in my next house as soon as I arrive I will grow a hawthorn hedge so that when the fence eventually falls down I have the hedge and can then sit and peer through the hedge!

      Delete
  4. I like the little paintings of the blue flowers (blue bells?), they are very dainty. Did you read Gerald Durrell's "My Family and Other Animals", one of my favorite books. I plan to see Durrells when it appears in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't read the book although this film is based loosely on some of the book, I really should read it. You are going to love the tv series! I hope it comes your way very soon.

      Delete
  5. Your painting is always so lovely! Do hope you are better soon. Not fun to be sick. At least you enjoyed some fresh air with views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. Fresh air views are my new favourite thing - I don't think we spend enough time outdoors.

      Delete
  6. Hope you're feeling loads better now, Betty.
    I've been watching the nest building activity here, too. I do worry with all the cats.
    Bluebells are out in the parental home but just leaves in our garden over the road, how strange is that?
    Not watched either of those programmes. Its Indian Summers in this house, we're obsessed. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, Indian Summers too - did I forget to mention that - so much going on and yet they are gliding along elegantly on the surface like swans paddling frantically - I love the custom and the décor of the houses.

      Delete
  7. Bluebells already? I'll have to keep an eye out. We had to do My Family and Other Animals for O'Level English and we all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously went to the wrong school! I am sure I would have done better with your syllabus! we got boring old romeo and Juliet in my day!

      Delete
  8. Such lovely bluebells! And how nice to have a bird nesting near. There is much nasty flu bug round at the moment, glad you are feeling better. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely blog here. Love your painting. Pam in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi what lovely flowers spring has really come at last.
    I've been in spain the last month so I've miss them.
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you are enjoying the absence of your fence! :) I haven't had the chance to read any of the SB books. I've just begun The Other Side of the Dale by Gervase Phinn, and am loving it. He's described as the James Herriot of schools, which is accurate, I think. Maybe this sort of book is more enjoyable to those of us on this side of the pond? We love to be sentimental about the UK, lol. Your TV programs sound like fun. I wonder if we can find them online somewhere? Speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.