Thursday, 28 April 2016

Seaside


 I jumped on a train to Brighton last week.  It was drizzling with light rain and overcast some of the time.  I was there for fresh sea air and a wander round my favourite childhood haunts.


The best part of the day was a stop at my favourite shop: Waterstones Bookstore.. this is not a
sponsored post, I just love it there, squashy leather sofas, terrariums full of green plants and seating dotted around amongst the book shelves so you can settle down with a cofffee/cake and look at books before buying  - some luxurious books lavishly strewn across coffee tables inviting you to browse, with nobody telling you not to touch!  On my table was indeed a huge  'coffee table' book of David Bowie, photograph after photograph of his make up, costume and performance.




 After the rain I went off to The Lanes and saw pretty dresses and tea sets (I always ask permission before taking pictures inside shops). 


waving solar powered queen for your dashboard



 The charity shops are mostly down the scruffier, West End but there are bargains to be found; this looked like a quality suede coat in mint condition, possibly unworn.




This display at the Clock Tower was for a forthcoming demo and was a stark reminder that many homeless in the UK die from the harsh conditions they live with.  Not all of Brighton is pretty and touristy either, there are grim areas and a huge contrast between the touristy Pier and the run down West End.

Brighton Seagull


Brighton is full of political statements, graffiti and the odd Banksey....













My watercolour of the seaside is optimistic, you won't find shells on Brighton beach, it's all pebble and definitely no chance of an oyster with a pearl.


This workman was breaking open the pebbles, looking for fossils, taking a break from building the i360 which looms as a replacement for the West Pier (burned down many years ago).  The burnt out pier still stands in the sea, forlorn and forgotten as a decaying backdrop, recognised and valued as a National heritage yet beyond salvage.



I found a National Trust book of recommended local woodland walks and nature reserves in my own area (west Sussex/Surrey) for £1 and couldn't believe my luck!  A flower press (every girl should have one) and some joss sticks.









14 comments:

  1. Hi Betty! Oh, that sounds like a lovely adventure. I think your painting is gorgeous.
    The bookstore sounds especially perfect.
    Have a good day, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bookshop inspired me and sent me on a 3 hour drive that ended in disappointment, I will blog about it some time but I did have a lovely day there and would LOVE to work (or even live) in a book shop one day!

      Delete
  2. Lovley post!
    I went outdoors looking around to find the beautiful birds chirping away before I realized the songs are coming from my laptop...your blog! Thank you for the smiles
    I'd like to fit in both those dresses in the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you scroll to the blog end and click on the music icons you can get yourself some, I got mine and added to the blog as a gadget, the birds in our woods do sing too but the aircraft get in the way of things....

      Delete
  3. You found some lovely little places to explore. I wonder if the china was in the delightful tea shop in the Lanes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Bluebell & Co. on the last lane/walk up that steep hill to the station! I love it in there and could buy the whole shop, they carry a lot of French labels in cotton nightwear and bed linen too that you would love. If you come to Brighton this year we MUST meet up again!!!

      Delete
  4. What a marvelous trip to the seaside, Betty. So glad you were able to do this. You had an eye out for both pretties and political statements, as travel is an expanding experience, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going again soon with college boy, will probably be seeing things from a different perspective on the next trip!

      Delete
  5. I love your Brighton posts Betty ... thanks for taking us on a little visit with you. It always looks such a pretty place to visit with lovely shops. My son is fixated on Banksy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Banksy's stuff fabulous though - I am fixated too and regret not going to the display he made out of a disused funfair here, I didn't realise it was not permanent.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a smashing day out. I haven't been to Brighton for over 20 years but one of my friend's parents moved there years ago and she's always got amazing stuff she's bought in The Lanes.
    I love that you ask the shop owner's permission before taking photos. Instagrammers and amateur photographers are the bane of our lives at fairs, clogging up the rails so genuine shoppers can't get to them and trying things on for selfies " for a laugh" grrr...
    Gorgeous art! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always see a rail of faux fur coats for £25 each - fabulous. I think it's rude to take pictures of peoples displays without asking - for one thing they might think I am 'working for their competitors' and pricing their stock up to compete. Everyone there is friendly, there's one shop I go in a lot (joss sticks and nic naks) where she invites me to have a piece of cake and a chat.

      Delete
  7. Wow love your knowledge of Brighton and you got the banksy that I stupidly forgot to take due to too much gin lol. Can't wait to go again but defo need better weather. Our Waterstones is not as accommodating as Brightons either. I love your painting just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Waterstones book store has exactly the atmosphere I like. I just read a novel where the clue to a murder was in one of the characters spending a lot of time in a Waterstones store. I can see you had a nice visit to Brighton.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.