Saturday, 19 March 2016

Treasure


Another driving adventure exploring some more local villages.  Along the way I stopped at the curiosity shop and found this beautiful vase.
Curiosity Shop
My grandmother had a long mint green dresser displaying this pottery.  We ate from plates with 'make hay while the sun shines' and 'waste not want not' cheerily decorated with farmhouses, cockerels and sheep.  I have always hoped to find a treasure box filled with similar so finding this solitary little piece has brought much joy. it was £3. I don't know if it's modern or not but I'm happy.




Still no bluebells here, so I painted a few to keep myself going...


I found a small antique barley twist vase in a charity shop (hiding behind Amber) - allegedly 1930s it was 50p apparently because it was so filthy, but now it sparkles like nothing modern ever could. College boy is concerned about possible entities/ghosts coming in with pre-owned items
 and Ambercat hates it.
. (the library video is The Dressmaker - have wanted to see for ages).



There was treasure in the post this week... I didn't know this existed until I unwrapped it!  A birthday present from my long-time blogging buddy *Nana*.  It's Beatrix Potter's journal - a fabulous collection of keepsakes depicting the many interesting events in her life.  There are wonderful pictures, photographs and - best of all - pockets with things you can take out and explore. yes! i.e. letter to her brother about how to preserve a bat, a tiny Peter Rabbit book in the back (I am going to paint the illustrations as it's black and white), postcards and souvenirs.  It will be a lovely scrapbook to add my own finds to.



Did you know Beatrix Potter did many wonderful things in addition to her Peter Rabbit books, not least of which was leaving a huge amount of farmland to the National Trust (including her house, Hilltop) so it would be protected and maintained.



 Thank you very much to Nana for just knowing how much I would love this beautiful pressie.xxx

I have started to paint the pictures in the tiny book 




22 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! Beatrix Potter is such an interesting person,and your journal looks as though it has a few surprises in it.
    Amber does not look very secure on her perch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Amber is very clumsy, she doesnt'have much spacial awareness for a cat and does tend to teeter on the edge of things and then thud off ungracefully!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift Betty, & just perfect for you too :-) I love your new treasures ... Ambercat is looking solemn today. I hope you enjoy the Dressmaker - I went to the movies to watch it (I never do this) & I loved it so much I could've stayed in the cinema & watched it right through again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't what I expected but I did enjoy much of it.

      Delete
  3. What a great surprise to find in your mailbox. Beatrice Potter is one of my favorite illustrator along with Tasha Tudor. They both did beautiful illustrations for children books. I think that they both used pastel water colors.
    I love your pottery vase with a good quote.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know of Tasha Tudor, must find out more, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Aw! I love that Nana Go Go! Beatrix Potter is such a favorite of mine. She's fascinating. I love your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you found the wonderful vase! The Nana BP journal is perfect for you, and am sure you will draw sweet replicas of bunnies and jam tarts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well there's a challenge Nancy! bunnies with jam tarts.

      Delete
  6. I was just in an antique store today in Albany, OR and they had a big amount of dishes that had sayings like that on them! I had never seen the like before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh Rose you must go back and get yourself some as I think they are hard to come by and made in the UK so you might not see them again - don't let them get away!!

      Delete
  7. That kind of pottery has a name but I can't remember it now (something like 'Devonware'?) and I think it's quite collectable. I love the colours it comes in. Bargain too and your little vase. Ambercat looks a bit sad!! I'm glad you found out what was in that little pouch at the back of the book. I tried to have a peek before posting but I couldn't get it open! Beautiful Bluebell painting. Looking forward to seeing your bunny paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the book is tiny and is in a recess in the back it's just crying out to be coloured in!

      Delete
  8. This is my first visit to your blog and I just had to tell you how much I love your To Do List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann - thank you very much - my bucket list can be yours too - help yourself!

      Delete
  9. Lovely post, your painting looks so pretty. And I just wanted to let you know that you have won the giveaway over on my blog! Please email me your postal address Betty, so I can send your gifts. Congratulations!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen - this is wonderful news! I am very lucky.

      Delete
  10. I have that Beatrix Potter journal and I've enjoyed it so much! How fun it is that you found the pottery vase and it has such special meaning to you! I love the painting of the bluebells. You inspire me to get out my paints! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the journal too!! isn't it delightful - the perfect place to put pretty finds and pressed flowers. I hope you will get your paints out too, let's have a painting weekend!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post, Betty! The journal is indeed charming and Amber looks very much like our beloved cat did.
    Your bluebell painting is beautiful and now I had time to admire your painted silk items. The scarf for the 2010 giveaway is to die for.
    Wishing you a happy and sunny Easter! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara, thank you for visiting. The scarf was a sort of happy accident after experimenting with wet silk, maybe I should try and do it again.

      Delete
  12. This is such a delightful post and on my birthday too Betty.
    I love your finds and their words!
    I have the same BP book and I have it on my coffee table so I look at it often.
    Your painted bluebells are inspiration for the real ones to arrive!
    It's lovely to see you posting again.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.