Sunday, 6 March 2016




Happy UK Mothers Day to you... I was up early today enjoying the sunrise with Ambercat - the garden was frosty and looked like it had been sprinkled with icing sugar.  College boy and I went for a woodland walk, we stood very still and watched young roe deer nibbling at foliage.  It's a very fuzzy picture but these little things are hard to get close to and as soon as they hear you they are off!





Nothing can fill grey days with cheer more than flowers.  I have lillies and roses (they smell wonderful).


Recently it was big fat birthday number 57 ... didn't like saying that number too much but it's out.  and it is only a number - I don't feel like this number, I feel more like a nice round 30.... and as my life slides towards old age I worry a bit about what sort of little old lady I will turn out to be?  wrapped in my cosy tartan mohair shawls  perhaps? almost certainly will be wearing a hat of some sort, comfortable shoes definitely, but underneath I will still be me and so I got to thinking how many little old ladies I pass in my daily rounds who are still 'me' and we can't see them under all the tartain mohair and comfy shoes?  Note to self - try to see more of who is underneath the mohair in future.




Yellow roses, from hubby (I had yellow roses entwined in a horseshoe to carry on our wedding day so he always gives me yellow roses)...



tiny narcissus buds that have unfurled over the last few days to reveal their creamy petals (I put these into the tin my neighbours filled with caramel nuts recently - I don't know if they wanted the tin back but it was too pretty to contemplate! and a bit of moss from the unloved lawn.).



I went to the garden centre with my friend but didn't buy - I was planning you see - I have this idea a night scented garden would be good.  Even though I am not a night person and go to bed really early, I thought how lovely would it be to have flowers that open at night, some that are luminous under the moon and attract moths (butterflies would be asleep) and most of all that smell wonderful.  So that's my plan.  If you know all about night scented gardens we could short circuit the planning and you could just tell me how to do it if you like  ... that would be most helpful. Thank you. ( In the planning I have totally ignored the fact that my fence is falling down because I would rather spend my money on flowers than fencing).

doodling and reading my book
Some parts of the UK have had snow and I have felt deprived - none here... college boy told me it snowed and we also had huge hail stones on Wednesday but I was at work and the blinds were down so I missed it - was deeply disappointed as would have liked to get a glass of hailstones and freeze them - just for the novelty of doing so, keeping it in the freezer and then topping the hailstone glass with lemonade and sipping it in the sun in July perhaps.. and smiling to myself about it.


I have a choice of journeys to work and usually take the traffic jammy stressy route...
but there is another much nicer, get up early for the detour, route  (it's where the house of teddies  is situated and I have blogged about that before *here*)
teddies are dressed appropriately for the weather
and sit on the balcony all year round at this little house.



















... so this week I went the scenic route.. and was rewarded with signs of Spring (celandines, snow drops, even a rabbit) .. and no traffic at all. Luxury - floating into work all calm and serene.  I must leave a little earlier and go that way again, so much better for my soul to drive past pretty houses like this (with the delightful name Cinderfield) but taking care on the hairpin bends.  Reality check, not everything round here is this pretty but there's quite a bit of this if you take the odd detour.

By the way, this is my travelling teddy who particularly enjoys driving past teddy house, he comes along on all my journeys and passively observes, listens to my twitterings in the car and smiles knowingly.  He has no name, doesn't need one.


I have planted some herbs up for the kitchen window.  Nobody is allowed to cut them/eat them as they look pretty and I want them to get really big.  They also smell nice.  It cost very little and I found the pretty tin container in Lidl for £4 - bargain.  If you are thinking of going to Lidl the containers come with two handles to hang from a windowsill if you want, I can't think where to hang mine though.



We have tawny owls in the woods, their hooting goes on throughout the night and I like to listen to them.  I know they are tawny's as I read that they are the only owls in the UK that hoot.  They like to live and feed in woodland and sometimes use the abandoned nests of other large birds, squirrel drays or tree hollows for their home.   The chances of seeing one are zero but I live in hope.  Unless I make a bird table with sacrificial mice and vole, I doubt they will ever visit this garden.  Perhaps there is a theme emerging here - night scented garden, sacrificial owl table......


a bit of my doodling



I saw this delightful bird bath, it runs on solar power and the water somehow ends up trickling off the umbrella with the little ducks below getting the odd splash - in my (planned) night scented garden would anything like to sip from it? frogs that can jump great distances perhaps? bats? owls?



We went to the pub last night, through the woods and down the lane.  They had the huge fireplace ablaze (the kind that you can sit inside the recess and warm your knees on) and we shared a bowl of chips.  A glass of wine/beer then back to our cozy home - just a quick step out for a change of scenery and a spot of people watching.   (I didn't take a picture at the pub as people were warming their knees, but this is very similar).


me - feeling happy
This has been a long and rambling post of my skittering thoughts and now it's time to go.  In the real world I have a shed full of spiders and cobwebs to clean and there's a huge pile of ironing for three men so off I go - thanks for stopping by and do come back, even if I am out, and make yourself at home....


more scribbling

To do:  plan the night scented garden, walk in the woods, cook roast dinner for men,  watch Call the Midwife (last one I think - won't spoil it for those who haven't seen but my goodness it's going to be full of romantic endings and happy ever afters this week I am certain).




24 comments:

  1. I can think of a couple of annuals which are night scented - nicotiana sylvestris, night scented stock, and night phlox (zaluzianskya). I have grown the last one mentioned and it is a fantastic plant with a beautiful honey/lemon fragrance.
    Then there are roses like Gertrude Jekyll (amongst many others) and trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) which smells wonderful though does like a little shelter. Honeysuckle would do well too.
    I hope these suggestions are some help. The night scented garden sounds a wonderful idea.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, I will put these on my list! Nicotiana grows by the river here in spectacular large drifts and does indeed smell wonderful, it might like my clay, swampy soil.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Betty! Never mind the fence, plant Night scented stock, lots, and Nicotiana.
    i gave up on the Midwife lately, felt sad to watch the thalidomide episodes, but it has generally been a lovely series.
    Those of us huddled in mohair thank you for realising that we are people under there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when we met in Brighton there was not a sign of mohair! Midwife was a bit of a flop for me last night, but there's a Christmas special coming.

      Delete
  3. PS. Does your travelling teddy wave to the others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he feels shy as he has no clothes and the others do.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet post! I am 57 and it's a great age!
    Your art is so pretty and the pub look cozy. When Bill was in Surrey, he stayed with a family in a house that looks just like that Cinderfield!
    Guess who I met yesterday? Nancy McCarrol! We had fun!
    Have a great week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your comment on Nancy's that you might meet up, hope her daughter is more stable now, lovely that you got to see each other. Yes my friend lives in a smaller version of Cinderfield - these houses take some maintenance though and as some are listed there are all kinds of restrictions of what you can and can't do when they need repairs.

      Delete
  5. The scenic route looks very nice! Flowers are popping up and soon the air will be filled with scents and the landscape with color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to get out and actually walk that road, there are fields full of garlic for example and the hedgerows will soon be full of life too.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely and inspiring post! A night scented garden sounds like a wonderful idea. I have a more modest plan, at the moment, of white flowers shining in the evening shade.
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday to you, Betty! Looking at some of the bloggers I follow 60 is far from old. Judith, The Style Crone, is 72 and looks utterly amazing without a hint of tartan or orthopedic shoes!
    Lovely planted up herbs. I keep meaning to tackle our window boxes but the weather is far too cold and wintery to venture to outside for long. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me, Modom, and what's wrong with a bit or tartan??! lol

      Delete
    2. I love a bit of tartan - I just looked at the Style Crone blog - she's amazing.

      Delete
  8. Love your new container! And the succulents look so good in it! Your comment on looking at women under their mohair: a good reminder. Always a pleasure to read your posts, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why-oh-why didn't you remind me of your birthday!!! Feel bad about that. What an interesting post,Betty. Loved catching up with everything and Long Live Mohair!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are so pretty and the fragrances are a big bonus. I have Hoya plants inside that blooms twice a year and around 10:00 at night the release a very fragrant perfume that permeate the whole house.

    Our ground is still frozen but the snow is gone except patches here and there. I would love to sit by a big fireplace with a class of wine warming my knees and shoulders. I'm turning 70 this fall and I don't feel old yet although I'm having some pains here and there. Happy Belated Birthday Betty.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated birthday wishes Betty ... I thought I had commented on this post but once again, I imagined it !!! The flowers are just beautiful, yellow roses are special. I love your window container & think I would've had to purchase that also. It is lovely to see your narcissi bulbs coming to life as things die down over here. It is still very hot here though & I welcome some autumn weather. I love your long rambling posts Betty - its as if you were chatting to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. My favourite Season is Autumn so I will look forward to glimpses of it through your blog shortly! I was lucky with the flowers - nearly 2 weeks and they are still blooming as in a nice cold room.

      Delete
  12. Having birthdays shouldn't be as painful as it is. I turned 69 in December. and I don't much like it. But as my dear brother reminds me, think of the alternative. I think I was 55 when I made my first trip to England and 57 when I traveled to Ireland and 59 for a return trip to England. So there. I moped my way through my 60s', angry that I was getting so old. This last birthday, I vowed to embrace my 70s, for that decade will be a milestone, I would think and perhaps a return trip to the UK. Loved this post. There was so much to enjoy. I will always vote for beautiful pink flowers or a quaint English cottage, and of course a pub with a fireplace on an rainy evening. You're living my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you get back to England to celebrate your 70s Ann! that's a great plan. I think many of us (me) are afraid of growing old and being dependent on other people more than anything but keeping active and having plans and dreams is what keeps us young.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bird bath with the umbrella and ducks is very cute. I like night blooming flowers too, I used to grow the white "moon flowers" which open at night and seem to glow and float in the dark. That house with the teddy bears has a cute balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I turn 60 this year and inside I feel like a very over confident 15 year old. So oh my what kind of old lady will I make. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.