Friday, 12 February 2016

Winter's End


I've been painting Spring flowers, the light is not good today so sorry the pictures aren't very bright...


There are a lot of tutorials on the internet so I have been trying out some of the advice...


I am on the last few pages of my Susan Branch book and don't want it to end!


 
 
 She understands our 'Englishness' and appreciates  a good cup of tea, our hedgerows and country pubs. 

Sadly UK libraries don't have SB books but I have put in a request for mine to consider the new SB book due out in May.









This manor house is close to our home, in the winter I can see right into the grounds while the trees are bare, on this day the ducks were gliding and all was quiet apart from a woodpecker hammering in the distance.



These little cottages are right next to our nearest pub, they have very pretty gardens in the Summer full of roses and hollyhocks and it is very hard not to peer as you walk past, they always have vases of flowers in each window - I imagine they have tea and cakes with a proper teapot and cups, saucers, doillies and can picture Mrs Tiggywinkle in there with her apron bustling around.


In the UK we have been watching War & Peace,  the main character, Pierre, was played by Paul Dano, I got very attached to Pierre.  What a brilliant actor, Paul brought Pierre to life as a gentle, kind, vulnerable character who deserved a happy ever after, I wanted to step into the set and help him through his struggles. The costumes and scenery were excellent, especially the snowy ones with horses and carriages.



Today I have been walking in the woods near the windmill.  It was cold and raining but the trees sheltered us.  I can see Spring is not far away, there are the green shoots of wood anemone and bluebell forming and there were a few wild primrose and snowdrop.


I spent a lot of time peering into hedges in the hope of seeing signs of birds nesting but there was none to be found, it is still early days.


very waterlogged in places.


Maybe next time I'm here there will be bluebells ... thanks for stopping by, your comments are always appreciated and it's lovely to have visitors here bye for now.


14 comments:

  1. I like your paintings of spring flowers, especially those dainty white ones. Your neighborhood is fantastic; you never need to leave it. A manor house, old fashioned cottages, a pub. What more does one need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou you! the white flowers are snowdrops - they are so pretty but no good to pick as like the cold.

      Delete
  2. Your tulips paintings are lovely as usual and it won't be long Tulips will be popping out of the ground where you are. Here it's still cold and we have snow and the ground is still frozen hard.

    I hope that your library will get the May Susan Branch book in for you.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia - I think our library is unlikely to get the book but nothing lost by asking! and if not it will be on my Christmas list :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Betty! I can't wait to watch War and Peace!
    Your painting is sweet and perfect for this time of year!
    I am so glad that you love the SB books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D you will love W&P I am sure - the story, costumes and scenery is all wonderful/

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I am so looking forward to blossoms in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rose - it will be so nice to move into warmer days and get outside.

      Delete
  5. Your spring paintings are gorgeous Betty, wont be long now. That manor house looks amazing & those cottages almost look to have Thatched roofs but my eyesight is not the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not thatched but tiled roofing, but very old - so very pretty aren't they.

      Delete
  6. Your paintings are beautiful! Liking that glimpse of the manor house, too.
    I haven't seen War & Peace, I'm not a huge fan of costume dramas although the Beeb does them well. James Norton is a brilliant actor, he has me on the edge of my seat in Happy Valley. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I was a fan of costume drama either until I watched this - the story and the scenery is wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Love your paintings. So soft and peaceful! I am hoping for bluebells on your next visit as well! Can't wait to see the blue bells painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful that we will see bluebells in March Toni and I will be happy to paint them! we usually get a lovely carpet of bluebells and wood anemone in the woods if we are lucky. The smell of the bluebells is amazing.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.