Monday, 1 February 2016

Rainy Day Pursuits





Painting on  a rainy day, I found the house empty and spare time..the light was good for putting colour to paper.  The flowers were a treat, I craved colour, a small bunch of velvety, vibrant chrysanthemum with green centres; nature clashes colours so beautifully.



I would probably paint more if I could leave a mess like this and go back to it, but the table must be cleared as it's needed for hubby to work from and for our meals! Two laptops and two young adults studying also keep it in constant use.

I am reading Susan Branch, A Fine Romance (thank you Pompom for introducing me to her lovely books, calendars and diaries).  It's all about her epic trip by sea from New York to Southampton and her travels around England - it's really different reading about our familiar places through the eyes of a visitor, even hedges and roundabouts can be a new sight for an overseas visitor you know!  She reminded me how much I want to visit many of the places on her tour across the English countryside.  A delightful read and I don't want it to end!  I am wondering what to read next as it will be hard to find anything in a similar style I think - any ideas?


Plump pink and grey wood pigeons are spending much time in our garden picking around,  they like watching the world go by seated on sturdy branches high up in the pine trees behind us.  They struggle to balance on our fence and their claws clatter on the conservatory roof when they land briefly to drink fresh rainwater from the guttering.

https://commons.wikimedia.org





We are also hearing foxes calling at night and an owl, the woods are awakening although it is still very swampy out there after the heavy rains of the last weeks, shoots and buds are appearing slowly.










I discovered quinoa, it was in a recipe on Deliciously Ella's website, quick and easy and full of baby courgettes, peas and kale.  It works well for a packed lunch/dinner.  In fact I liked it so much I'm doing it again this week!  DE's recipes are vegan, I  adapt some of them as the ingredients can be expensive.   I used frozen kale as it is already chopped finely and less 'chewy' - more like spinach.  I don't have the book but may get it once I have exhausted the recipes available on her website.  Have you tried her recipes?  The men here are meat eaters but like her healthy, colourful recipes too.


I found this little watercolour in a pile of old stuff, can't remember if I ever showed you.
We have daffodils in the shops but none in the garden yet although I planted many and the shoots are up, something to look forward to.



Back soon with some paintings and a view of the woods... thanks for visiting, your comments are always welcome.

14 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing your watercolours, Betty, and the chrysanthemums are beautiful.
    I have tried quinoa and quite liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, chrysanthemums last such a long time too so are good value.

      Delete
  2. Your mums and daffodils are a breath of spring! Pretty...you are getting quite proficient with those watercolours. Will look into quinoa recipes, too. Thanks!

    Deliciously, Ella is a site I will visit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, I just visited your blog and was so pleased to see you have the recipes and are going to try them - you won't be disappointed I am sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! How gorgeous! I love your pinks! I'm so glad you love A Fine Romance. Next is The Fairy Tale Girl and in May the sequel to that! Woot!
    I know what you mean about leaving our materials out so we can go back to them. I like that.
    You are such a fun artist, Betty. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes next book of course, and she is doing a return visit so that's bound to spark her blog up!

      Delete
  4. I always love your painting! Such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rose, I'm glad my paintings are giving a bit of cheer in a very grey month :D

      Delete
  5. I was just reading about Deliciously Ella's parents who are getting a divorce and apparently, everyone is quite happy about it! Anyhoot, lovely to see you picking up a paintbrush. Your Chrysanthemums are very pretty. Weather up here is atrocious. Nothing but the wild wind, though we're also having some fabulous cloud formations. Ever heard of Nacreous Clouds? I saw one yesterday and it was indeed spooky! Will write soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't given clouds much thought but I will do now...

      Delete
  6. Your watercolours are an absolute joy and I do have a soft spot for plump, lilac breasted wood pigeons although get cross when they gobble up all the bird seed!
    I can't bear kale but the frozen stuff sounds like it might be a bit more palatable. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes kale is not my favourite thing but it's great frozen in minced up lumps (Tesco) as you can put into pilaus and risottos and not even know it's there apart from a bit of colour!

      Delete
  7. Hello I've found your blog somehow and am enjoying it hugely. Your paintings are lovely I wish I could paint. I will have a look at the book you mention as I love reading about others travels as I have a massive wanderlust for anywhere lol. We also live close to woodland and countryside it's a joy listening to all the noise and activity it always induces a sense of calm contentedness in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Wendy, I will follow your travel plans with interest - it looks like you are embarking on a great new adventure.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.