Monday, 18 January 2016

Small Pleasures


Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place.

(from The Wind in the Willows)               

BBC Good Food

That's a lovely thought, tea and pink iced buns?  I have yet to find the perfect tea set to use with pink buns, pink percelain perhaps?  I have seen something like this in the local antique shop, I find myself driving past for 'just a little look' but I know that although it seems very important to rush in and get it before someone else does, it will not be as sparkling and wonderful when it is sitting in my cupboard gathering dust - it's only desirable because I don't own it - it has taken me many years to learn this folks.

EBay


We had snow - it was lovely to come downstairs early that morning to find everything white beyond the conservatory...I like sitting out here in the morning with a little heater on at weekends...



I went to Brighton a while ago.  Just imagine Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter film and you have my version of Brighton ('the Lanes')... here's some snaps around and about ..







 Above is the tunnel from the station, homeless people often huddle along here with their sleeping bags so it can be a sad place but the new lights make it feel a little cheerier. On the right is part of the Pavilion  and below is Sydney Street with my favourite flower shop.


I do love roast chestnuts, don't you? and it was very warm and toasty to stand here for a while and warm up   ..... It was tempting to investigate both the floral and the beautiful green crushed velvet dresses here, but it was so cold I couldn't bear the thought of chilly changing rooms and states of undress,  and the sparkly shoes - so very, very pretty, and the softest woolly hat and gloves, very tempting..




 Wax factor sell vinyl records - there are some real treasures in here.



But what about the tea and buns? oh yes, that would be here usually but I was very cold and missing home, so off I went!  what a shame - but then there's always next time :D


Back home I have not ventured out much, the woods are very muddy, I ventured a short distance and found berries and catkins and much evidence of birds nesting.



The ice cream man goes to my gym, I know because I often see his van in the car park (snapped below).  Wouldn't it be nice if he could open up and give me a cone with a chocolate flake...
sometimes where I work they treat us by bringing an ice cream van like this into the car park, we then get a free ticket (it feels a bit like Willy Wonka with his golden ticket!) ... and we go downstairs (but not all at once you see as work must go on)  to get our ice cream cone with lots of pink syrup.  It's a lovely treat.



I am sorry there are no wonderful silk paintings lately, they are in my head and I just don't seem to be able to make them come out, maybe the Spring will bring a sprinkle of painting mojo.   Thank you for stopping by, you're always welcome here - even if I'm out, you can just make yourself at home.  Next time I will make  lemon drizzle cake and light some candles to make it feel warm and homely, bye for now....

17 comments:

  1. Hello! A new follower here (via John Gray's blog) from the Canadian prairies! Your pictures are lovely! I would like an iced bun now with a cup of tea to go with it! Have a splendid day! Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs D - how lovely to have new followers - loving John Gray's blog - he's so funny! Welcome to my witterings. I couldn't find a link to a blog to you but please let me know if you have one. Betty x

      Delete
    2. Morning Betty!! No blog anymore - just could not keep up! Now I enjoy reading all the fantastic stories of everyone else. I agree, John's blog is delightful! Dianna x

      Delete
  2. Those buns looked so good and I was about to come in for some with tea in that pretty cup until I got to the end of the story. It was a wonderful thought that left me rather wanting for some. Now I must content myself with finishing my tea in a plain cup and no buns.

    I'd love to go in that Little Teashop in The Lanes.
    Have a great day. Spring is slowly coming our way.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julia I hope I haven't set you off on a mission to find iced buns! i guess we could all make some - the pleasure would be in the icing (both decorating and eating!) If only blogging buddies were local we would have such lovely get togethers. Thanks for stopping by, Betty x

      Delete
  3. Oh yes please to the lemon drizzle cake Betty. Thank you for sharing your trip to Brighton with us ... I would so love to visit your beautiful historical country but can only do so in my dreams at this stage. That floral dress in the window made me gasp - it is so beautiful & sort of vintagey looking. Have a wonderful week Betty - your snow looks enticing as we melt here in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's lots of vintage there - I saw a whole rail of fake fur coats in the market for £25 each for example. But it can be cold and grey and it certainly was on that day.

      Delete
  4. Betty how nice to see the photos of Brighton, we may get there again this year if health allows. I had lunch in that little tearoom the last time I was there, it was so nice and served 'proper' tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you visit this year let me know, if I have a day off I might jump on a train and join you again - that tea room even!

      Delete
  5. Your pink themed post was fun to read. I have never had a pink frosted bun and maybe someday I just will.

    Brighton looks so quaint, Brighton by the sea, so English, love it. If I were to live again, it would be in your neck of the world. For now, I can only visit your blog to catch up with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldnt it be lovely to find a blogger who lives in Brighton - I haven't yet. Pink buns are actually just bread finger rolls with icing on top and sprinkled with 'hundreds and thousands' so you could make some :D

      Delete
  6. Hi sweet friend! YOU had a lot of fun! The flower dress looks like YOU!
    I think iced buns are the very nicest tea treat and I would like some right now!
    Stay warm. Sending heaps of love and good prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! yes the flower dress is very me, but no occasion to justify wearing it so it had to stay!

      Delete
  7. It is still as dark as night here and the rain nearly blocks our the dim, so thank you for your pensive stroll around the streets, that at least look dry! If you don't mind, I might tarry a while under that snowy roof and have a little think x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it's dark here too Mags, I was trying to be cheery. Sadly the snow only lasted a day but we should be grateful as it is causing problems for other parts of the country :D

      Delete
  8. Ooh I'll be round in a jiffy! I haven't been to Brighton for years, too far now for a day trip. Ice cream at work - what a treat! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sweet Betty! I came by again to look at that dress and the frosted buns. I think I shall make some! I am very glad you like A Fine Romance! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.