Thursday, 15 October 2015

Dandelions, reward, friends....


A painting type of day today....



silk painted dandelions by me!


I have a bare wall that needs some colour, an empty picture frame, some left over silk, lots of inks and some spare time - so my dandelion painting came about.  I might do some more as I am very keen on dandelions at the moment.  I found that dotting silver nail varnish gives some nice bling to the dandelion fluff! Sorry the picutres are a bit dark, it's dark everywhere here indoors and out today.



It's fun to blend the colours by wetting the silk then applying the inks so they run .. and not difficult to do as ink takes over, you never know how it will turn out, a surprise every time.




Salt makes a nice fuzzy effect...





I am giving up on the Ann Voskamp book - to be honest I am finding it very boring and can't be arsed to read it to the end, sorry to say that but just being truthful - the writer has good intentions but is on a mission and I didn't want it to be my mission.  I quite liked the idea of being thankful for 1000 gifts but did not like being saturated by her depressing catalogue of life tragedies that sort of took the book over.  So now you know.




 The best bit was the lovely picture on the front of the birds nest and blue eggs...
I think that's what got me - I do like a good birds nest .. here's  one I painted last year so will look at that instead.





 After getting all puffed out at the gym today I felt obliged to make use of the lovely steam room, it has blue mosaic walls with two corner shelves that house recessed lights that change colour,  I know it's childish but I like to climb up on things, the shelf recess for mood lighting is just right to sit on and it's extra steamy up there, so I perched for some time.  The ceiling in there is wonderful too - it's all little twinkling lights so if you climb down carefully and then lie, with eyes half shut it's like a twinkling sky at night - delightful!

A friend came by today from my old church days and we had tea then did a spot of praying together ... something that happens occasionally when the need arises, it was one of those days when it was the right thing to do.  I have some good friends, I hope I never take them for granted as they are undemanding.  Today's visiting friend is unusual and very special, our connection is regarding aspergers as one of my boys has this label.... my friend has the same label... she has never married, she adopted two downs syndrome boys by choice and brought them up alone, they are both now adult and  living independently, she wrote a book about it all that IS worth reading ('Not your normal Family', under the pen name of Fiona Barrington).   Here's a linky


Hope your day has been as happy as mine... bye for now.


15 comments:

  1. Hey Friend, well, I must say, you've surpassed yourself with those dandelion pics. I LOVE the one in your header and the other one is positively psychedelic! You're truly a talented artist, Betty. You could sell those paintings, you know! I was chuckling at your description of why you gave up on the book. Don't blame you either! Glad you had such a rewarding day. I will email you presently! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a loyal fan of dandelion paintings! I would love to be good enough to sell sometimes and am not fishing for compliments, but I always see something wrong in my pictures (this one has too much space to the bottom left and is crowded at the top! so I never feel they are good enough to be more than for pleasure, will have to do better!) yeah that book - the book you just sent me is going to be way better, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I've set aside a couple of books lately that weren't as interesting as I'd hoped. It's hard to do because after you get into them you feel committed to finish. I'm trying to get over that feeling, because there are just too many books waiting in line! :) Your friend's book sounds unusual and intriguing. I may just check it out.
    I work with a young lady who has the Asperger's label, also. She has trouble working at high speeds, like we must, but she's very diligent and thorough. I know there are jobs out there she would excel at. I know it must be frustrating trying to find the right fit. Praying for your boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa people with Aspergers are often very very clever and see detail in things that the average person misses. I think that's why they are very good at jobs requiring fine detail and concentration, they are usually perfectionists. My boy has mildest end of spectrum and mostly jogs along fine but gets anxiety in unfamiliar situations/out of routine. Yes, there are so many books out there and I have to confess I haven't even read 'the classics' time I did something about that!

      Delete
  3. Hi Betty! I like your dandelions! They are gorgeous!
    I sort of felt the same way, reading that book. I don't think I finished it either.
    How lovely that your friend needed time with you. That's very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gave up on the book, I tried hard. My friend came more for my benefit than hers, she's solid and reliable.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is really beautiful - what kind of paint do you use? It looks so brilliantly coloured and I never seem to get mine that bright. Your steam room in the gym sounds so inviting - I belonged to a gym years ago and the steam room there was my favourite room as well. It is so nice to have friends that you have a connection like that with. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Marabu inks and also Silkcraft own brand (they are a UK supplier), these are set by ironing and they do look dull until you have ironed, washed and then ironed again then the true colour comes out - I don't always dilute my colours either although you can use a thinner and that would affect the colour. Hope this helps. Betty

      Delete
  5. I love your dandelions with the added bling. They're stunning.
    Glad you abandoned that book, life's too short to waste it on badly written words.
    Your friend sounds like an incredible woman, A friendship to be treasured. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have quilted your paintings. They just feel as though they could be fabric collages.
    I gave the 1000 gifts away as a giveaway! Din't feel it was what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think I will send my book via Book Crossings - I blogged about it yonks ago where you randomly leave a book with a seriel number and the finder links to Book Crossings and you can then trace where in the world the book ends up! Oh hes, quilting but also embroidery would be lovely (and you are an expert embroiderer) feel free to use my effort to interpret for your own inspiration/creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dandelion painting. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, that's lovely of you - glad you like them.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.