Sunday, 17 May 2015

The Weekend





Thank you for your comments on my last post, those of you who guessed the mystery flower as Yellow Archangel were right - that's what it is.  I read that it is a problem in some conservation areas as it can spread so rapidly.


As we have Badger( from the book Wind in the Willows) staying here on his World Blog Hop, we had a day out at Ashdown Forest this weekend, we are lucky to be only a 40 minute drive away.  AA. Milne, who of course wrote Winnie the Pooh, lived nearby as a child.  His books were inspired by the forest and Pooh Stick Bridge is indeed a real bridge in the forest and 100 Acre Wood is probably part of what we know as 500 Acre Wood - these are the two main pilgrimages for tourists to the area.  So of course, Badger being a tourist, we had to visit...



This is Pooh Sticks Bridge.  We dropped our sticks into the stream and watched them go under the bridge and out the other side like so many people have done before....



A short walk from the bridge is a tree which, on the return walk, you will notice has a little door in the back It is undoubtedly the home of Pooh Bear's friend, Rabbit.






We brought home a feather which looks like it could be from Owl.



There were plenty of bluebells in the woods.  It was a nice thought that we were walking through the same woods as the author.




We stopped at the Pooh Corner Shop in the nearby village of Hartfield - it was not too full as end of the day and they didn't mind us taking pictures of Pooh Bear paraphernalia.  There is a tea shop there and a play area for young children.  We took a map with directions as a souvenir for Badger in case he wants to return sometime.









It was a tiring day for Badger as, of course, it's not every day a character steps from one book into the setting of another book!  He has taken it in his stride though and is now sleeping.  There will be a few more adventures for him before he travels to his next host.




The rest of the weekend is now lawn mowing, ironing, finding shoes for teenage boy at short notice as his are coming apart(!) and making a beef in wine casserole.  Just as well I got up early this morning!



13 comments:

  1. How fun that you and Badger visited Pooh's Stick Bridge. Never knew that was the origin of Milne's writings. It must have been similar to Wonderland, but in 3 D with Sound of birds and wildlife. So restful. That must have been a favorite of all Badger's visits. He fit right in. Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous day out for Badger, to add to his memories of his stay with you!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy weekend you've all had. Badger should be thrilled that he's doing the 'touristy' thing! It's really great to see places I'll never get to visit. Thanks for a lovely post, Betty. xxx
    ps I'll write back really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Badger had a fun day out! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW WONDERFUL! What a treat for Mr. Badger! I'm envious! I want to go to Poohsticks bridge, too! Oh, thank you for being such a fantastic hostess, Betty!
    I hope you found the shoes! I remember doing that SO often. They always need something!
    The beef and wine dish sounds scrumptious! (BIG HUG!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds so fun to visit as well as lovely and good exercise

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful outing for Badger there Betty, he is certainly getting a great guided tour while staying with you :-) That little Pooh Corner store looks a fascinating place to visit ... how quaint & lovely. Yes those chores certainly do not do themselves for sure. Have a great week Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful post Betty! I loved seeing the poo stick bridge and 100 acre wood! I think you should turn the mystery flower theme into a regular event. I am sure badger would agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an idea! maybe we will do it again!

      Delete
  9. I'm surprised he's off, you've given him a wonderful time. I bet he wants to stay. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betty, thanks for your comment. I bet Mr. Badger would love fiddleheads too and maybe they grows in your part of the world. Winnie the Pooh has been a favorite of mine, my children, and now my grandchildren and I hope that my great grandson will grow to love him too.

    Thanks so much for taking us along to Winnie the Pooh's home. I'd love to see the stick bridge and Winnie's home too.

    Have a great week. I hope that you found new shoes for teenage boy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. How glorious to live near the very place that Winnie the Pooh was written! I would love to visit myself. And it would be a nice place to sit and contemplate. So glad Badger is seeing so many wonderful sites. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a day that would suit two boys I know just as much as Mr Badger!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.