Sunday, 8 March 2015


Arise, walk about the land through its length and breadth; for I will give it you:  Genesis 13:17

A couple of walks over the last few days and already the woods are awakening and there are signs of Spring.  No flowers on this walk but  the woods are full of these fungi...they are tiny, dainty little things, I think there were fairies nearby.



 There must be as many varieties of fungi as there are flowers?


There are signs of an active badger set down by the river, it's very near our house. It was tempting to peer down the holes but we were  careful not to disturb anything.


I have been reading up on badgers and then today found signs of another set up on our walk near the airport, there had been a lot of digging in the area, some toilet arrangements and a large number of the distinctive 'D' shaped holes a distance away, some under tree roots - which they seem to favour.


Up by the airport on our family walk we were able to get to within 50 yards of the runway (although they do patrol the perimeter fence in a van and it is very clear we are being watched).  There is beautiful land up here owned by the airport but open for the public to walk in. There is much clearance of the river going on and pruning back of bushes and trees.  I think this might be a wood pigeons home, it's sturdy.  We heard a deafening noise of crows, I expected to see about 30 up in the trees but there were none, then I realised it was the airport sound track to scare smaller birds away! 


There are lots of bullrushes up here, the landscape is quite stark and brown at the moment, but the fluffy heads of these plants are blowing everywhere and will make a lovely soft lining for birds nests.  It's early days, but today I saw the first blossom, only one tree in a two mile walk had any and if I looked the other way would have missed it!



Some bloggers are observing Lent and posting a 'pause in Lent' ... 
My walks are my time to pause.

'ask the plants of the earth and they will teach you' ... Job 12, 8a






17 comments:

  1. Lovely to see Spring is there in your neck of the woods (excuse the pun). Here everything is blooming early which is not surprising as the weather has been so mild and sunny. Have a serene and easy Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly hope you can coax your peeps out for some nice long muddy walks

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos Betty! I love going on walks in the countryside. We did a small wander today and saw clusters of wild primroses. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous! not a primrose in sight - saw some celandines on the roadside when hubby drove me back from the gym - but they were a bit of a blur as we were going fast!

      Delete
  3. I love your pause-y walks! SO pretty! Has Mr. Badger arrived yet?
    Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sign of Mr Badger, think he is taking the scenic route. I have found some nice places for him to explore his own kind.

      Delete
  4. Surely like that fungi photo, Betty. Looks like spring there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few more weeks and it should be a lot more interesting around there Nancy. I was searching for fly agaric but no luck.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely walk. I think the Bulrushes would look good in a painting?! Have a great week, Betty. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a challenge then - not sure how to paint bulrushes! I am so longing to see bluebells next time I walk there.

      Delete
  6. I just left a comment on PomPom's "sheep" post. and saw your comment there! Hooooray! neither one of us, choose to just follow along, like dumb sheep.

    sorry to sound so excited but... I am! certain religious views abound in pretty blog land. but not many views, which don't "follow along" with that group. so when I see one which differs, I am drawn to say Hi, to she who comment thus.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures and fun post Betty.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore that fungi photo, its beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring is a magical and very special time that we all enjoy!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty, your post is gorgeous . . . so enchanting:)
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post, such pretty fungi, and so interesting to read about the signs of badgers you found......and the airport soundtrack too! Enjoy your pauses this week.....walking is such a peaceful time I think.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! To be in England this time of year! I adore all of your lovely photos and sweet sentiments very much. Thank you for visiting and saying my tole painting looks "professional"! That really touched my heart....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.