Friday, 13 February 2015

What's Going On

Yesterday I watched the most beautiful film 'Heaven is for Real' (true story about a child called Colton Burco who briefly visited Heaven when he was four).  It is the most beautiful story and drew tears on several occasions!  I have just ordered the book from my library so I can read the full account. 



In the woods I have seen catkins and have been searching without luck for likely habitat for wild orchids.  My brother tells me they like growing near old oak trees and that they are small and delicate, unlike the shop bought versions.  It is noisy in the woods, lots of bird activity and nest building going on - I try to remember where I see the first leafy signs of wildflower so that when the ditches and borders become full of foliage I can find those spots again and peep to see the flowers that have become hidden.  I also keep a notebook of where I see elder trees on my travels as I revisit in the Summer to pick the berries.



I made a photo board of our family holidays, do you like it? I put it in the kitchen diner to make the room feel cheery, you can see it when sitting at the table.  You can also see the lovely paintwork we spent ages doing - a nice light coffee colour.  We still have the stairway, landing and two more bedrooms to paint (not all the same colour of course!).  But what's the hurry? I quite like the planning rather than the doing!



Here's a silk painting similar to the one the other day, with daffodils and freesia added,  I wanted more vibrant colour and different shades too, but Pebeo inks don't mix well in my hands, buying the number of colours I would like is not viable so I have decided these will be the last silk paintings now and it's time to put my energy into watercolour instead as a more practical, affordable hobby.



 I like the idea of portable painting outside in situ and of being able to get faster results.  Don't you think it must be lovely to settle down somewhere leafy and paint the things you see?  Thank you for leaving such kind comments about my paintings, it is really appreciated.   Although I surprise myself occasionally with the odd nice bit of work, I don't think I could paint to a consistent standard or even volume for it to ever be anything other than a hobby but I enjoy using my blog as an outlet to show you how I'm progressing.   I had thought of closing this blog as it's been plodding on with the same old stuff for a few years now, but let's see how it goes.... I think it's time to say more about the other things I enjoy - the woods, what I see around me, what I am thinking and doing.  I have had this self imposed pressure on achieving a lot of things, painting, sewing, making the perfect home.  I suppose we all expect more of ourselves than others at times, I am going to settle down a bit now and just enjoy what's going on around me without so much need to capture evidence, blog, or paint it to death!  I feel blogging is like talking to yourself a bit, so it's always a surprise to me when people leave comments!

Isn't this little horse pretty, his name's Charlie - he lives up on some wasteland by the woods and is well loved.  A young lad comes up to feed and water him and sometimes we chat. He has said we can feed Charlie carrots and on Sunday he was extremely grateful for our donation, despite having plenty of hay to keep him going.  He likes his ears being stroked, they are like velvet.  His coat has a kind of baby fluff of new hair sprouting over the thicker coarse hair at the moment.


I will leave you with a picture of the river, the banks are quite bare but there are odd green shoots here and there, so maybe primrose and wood anemone are coming soon.  I think this Spring is going to be sudden and dramatic, there is a silent energy in the trees, their branches have little lumps that indicate buds are forming to burst forth in lacy white frothy blossom, a couple of months from now I think it will be much prettier place.  Better find my fold up chair and get ready with the watercolours!


 This weekend by the way I will be going on an 'epic' walk with teenage boy to see what's happening up on the land near the airport.  I haven't been to church for a very long time and am missing the connection so will be doing a bit of that too. Wishing those who follow my ramblings a romantic weekend with much love, chocolate and flowers (valentines).  Betty
 

17 comments:

  1. Nice to hear what you are doing and glad you will be doing more watercolors. Your picture board of holidays will cheer you up every time you and your family remember fun times on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nancy, yes it is lovely to have those pictures out - so often we put our memories away to preserve them and then they are forgotten!

      Delete
  2. Wow looks like we all might get an early Spring. Love the pin board as it is nice to keep hold of those good memories. Bet Charlie is your new best friend. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie is very friendly but his huge set of teeth are a bit worrying, we haven't progressed to feeding from the hand yet but are working on it!

      Delete
  3. I am very glad to see all these fabulous photos of your wood- I think Badger de Mourne will be starting his journey to your wild wood tomorrow, if that still suits? I think I have your address but will email later to confirm xx Love the artwork- as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes Mags, I am looking forward to welcoming him - we have so much to see and do together. I will email you the address so he doesn't get lost at all.

      Delete
  4. Betty, it wouldn't be the same without your blog, so don't close it. I love reading about your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, will keep going until I run out of waffle. I don't want to become repetitive you see!

      Delete
  5. Your silk painting is truly stunning, what a wonderful skirt it would be! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what an idea! floaty and swirly, or a sarong even.

      Delete
  6. Oh please don't close this blog, wood friend!
    I hope you have a lovely Valentine's Day, too. Chocolate and roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PomPom, my blog has become a bit like a tortoise in its shell plodding along, nothing much happening! but then they do live to a great age I suppose!

      Delete
  7. I love your silk painting and look forward to the watercolors. I am looking forward to spring walks with my camera. I hope yours is colorful with flowers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to seeing your spring walks Rose. thank you for stopping by :D

      Delete
  8. Really loving your new paintings. Bright and cheery! Not liking the sound of that film - there's enough misery going on around here at the mo! There's new painting challenge programme starting soon on Beeb Two, I think. Looks interesting. Hope you get lots of flowers and chocs too, Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy - the film is tear jerker only cos it's got a cute little chap and they are lovely family and good things happen - but I cry at the Waltons, Downton Abbey - even some adverts can do it for me! so don't be put off... I know about the new painting challenge because I (amongst every other blogger no doubt) got an email inviting me to apply but declined being the wimp that I am! looking forward to watching it though. x

      Delete
  9. Hi Betty, think I shall look out for that film. I love your new photo board, what a great idea & lovely to have the reminder of your holiday. Your silk paintings are beautiful Betty & so vibrant, I always love them. I certainly hope you do keep going with your blog as its one place I do love to visit & see whats happening in your corner of the world. x0x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.