Friday, 12 September 2014

This Week

Isn't this a lovely quote:
"Design is coming to grips with one's real lifestyle, one's real place in the world.
Rooms should not be put together for show but to nourish one's well-being.
Albert Hadley







Well here I am emerged from the paint pots - we have ceilings whiter than white and walls in a nice sort of fudge colour, ferns, fern print cushions, - and I'm pleased it's all done.  There is a new woody clock too! (Matalan) woodpecker on a tree - how fabulous is that!  There was a moment of indecision about chalk painting my dresser, I was very keen but the men are completely against the idea so it remains as it is, woody - after all this is everyones home and it must feel nice for everyone in it! But just look at all the spare time I will have for other things now I don't have to paint furniture!


I have 'cauliflowers' in my colour wash - no idea how to avoid them - maybe just paint over them methinks.
The pencils were a pleasant surprise from Poundland made from twigs - I didn't expect much but they are really, really good to sketch with!


These are my library books this week - Mr Patel is a really good read - he has seen some difficult times as a Ugandan Asian immigrant to the UK in the 70s - I remember a few children coming to my school in that era because one girl (Heena) became a firm friend - she was so exotically different and interesting to a girl like me who had never travelled or met anyone from so far away; her mothers cooking was so delicious and her home was so very welcoming and colourful.  Peaceful Places  also an excellent book - so many places I want to visit.  The cookery book is for oldest boy but he has already made it very clear that he won't be cooking much more than porridge or pasta at Uni so I should have left it on the shelf!

This has been a nice week of sunspots in the garden, a walk with teenage boy to pick berries and plenty of swimming on my days off.  Hope next week will be the same!  Thanks for all your comments on my last post and welcome to some new visitors... Betty x

p.s. I can't close this post without commenting on the devasting story in the UK News about the Manchester dogs home that has suffered an arson attack - at least 60 dogs have died... many more have been affected by smoke inhalation - but the huge public response in pledges of donations and help - over 1000 people turned up to help and bring blankets and food for these poor animals - is heart warming..

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so sad about the dogs' home!
    I like your new decor! You're good at that!
    I hope you have a happy weekend, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that "cauliflower" look!! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very kind of you Rose, on my brief encounter with a weekly art group I was told cauliflowers are not good, they mean I have not done my colourwash properly - so I need to learn more but I quite like them too to be honest!

      Delete
  3. Hi Betty, so glad you are reaching the end of your painting walls etc ... its always a fun time to embellish the rooms, the part I love at the end. Sometimes my Mr doesnt like me to "distress" our wooden furniture either & you are right, the home is for everyone.
    Thank you SO much for giving me the gift of such a lovely swap partner in Anne. I have so enjoyed this swap with her & her parcel came today ... all I could say was "Wow!!" Happy weekend to you Betty x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post about the swap, you had some lovely gifts and a great partner. Betty x

      Delete
  4. That wooden clock is so you! I love it. Your home is so welcoming, Betty. I love everything in the pics. Glad you're finding time to paint again. Have a great weekend, my friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nana - I do love clocks - my cuckoo clock is currently being repaired and has some new hands so that will be going back on the wall soon - I have been searching for a baby one to keep it company but they are hard to come by. Betty x

      Delete
  5. Goodbye Mr Patel sounds right up my street. I went to school with Meera Syal, from Goodness Gracious Me and author of Anita & Me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Anita and Me but will seek it out - I loved goodness Gracious Me! what fun characters you have rubbed shoulders with!
      My friends Heena and Gini both had a huge impact on my as a teenager - but that's almost another post in the making!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.