Sunday, 1 June 2014

Walks, Woods, anyone for a swap? ......

 
Today we walked for five hours in a huge circle using bridlepaths and footways around farmland and woods.

 We saw many wildflowers....





We stopped at the little church I showed you before and rested awhile, teenage boy took this little cross stitch gift with him - they were available to take in a small pot by the door with the verse attached....



Top left is the kneeler I used and top right the small side altar wheree you write and leave prayer requests.  A field of buttercup.  River has flooded in parts of the woods.

We also went to the old village library again and decided we will make this our local as it just so special and has such a good atmosphere for reading ... we learned that it was built in 1431 and was renovated in the 1800s.  I took some pictures but was told later that I shouldn't have done although the librarian kindly turned a blind eye and then generously showed me the cottage garden which is open to visitors to read books and stay awhile if you choose! 





The interior is one floor with an upper level ballustraded balcony  - there are enormous fireplaces, lots of oak intricately carved and inscripted.  Furnishings also are very beautiful and in use - i.e. this little chair in the childrens' section. 




I can't tell you how special it feels to select books from this beautiful carved wood furnishing.

 
 
 
We found a little house in the woods further afield, I have had trouble locating it on any maps.  It's right next to a stream set between woods and farmland - it has a special feel to it and I keep going back to look - nobody seems to be living there. Maybe one day it will come up for sale. 
 
 
We visited the old blackbirds nest and were surprised to find a nest of bees has taken over residence.
 
 
 
I hope I haven't tired you out, this is a long post and if you stayed until the end, you did well!
 
I am thinking of setting up a swap if there is enough interest,
this would be a 'from my home to your home' swap
sending handmade and traditional gifts to someone in another country
If you are interested, please leave a comment.
 

25 comments:

  1. What a very special library that is, one might want to stay there all day, just reading and enjoying the surroundings.
    I'd be interested in the swap, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you will join the swap - hope I can find some overseas people to participate with!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic walk, and just the weather for it too!

    We were on one of our jogging days today so no time to linger and take photos but a good laugh all the same!

    Your swap idea sounds really interesting, would be happy to give a go if it goes ahead.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will ever be a jogger! everyone's always leaving me behind as I get distracted by things on my walks! So glad you will join my swap, will post about it soon. thankyou.

      Delete
  3. Lovely wild flowers and the church and library and we so would love to peak round the abandoned house. In the forest we use to ride in there was a house and we thought it would be spooky living there so far away from even a main road. Pretty during the day but not sure at night. Have a serene Sunday Betty and let us all partake of some big easy today.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I was able to live in a very remote place I would definitely want a dog to protect me Molly, then I wouldn't be afraid of bumps in the night!

      Delete
  4. Your posts are more and more enchanting. Wish I could walk through the woods with you. I love that library - what a find. I'm in with the swap. Will write tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad you're joining the swap, I will do a button to spread the word.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your walk and your swap sounds fab I know a couple of people who would probably be interested too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a button to spread the word Tracy, just seen the post on your recent swap, similar idea - looks like it was a good one.

      Delete
  6. A lovely walk with you today thanks Betty. I love the little verse & cross your son picked up ... how beautiful that they have them just sitting there to be taken. The library looks amazing, I too would want to use that library. Oh I love the foxgloves, I know they grow wild but the are one of my favourite flowers.
    I have often wanted to partake in one of your swaps, if you needed an extra person then perhaps I could join in this one. Happy week to you, Julie x0x0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please Julie, do join the swap - that would be perfect. Foxgloves are my favourite wildflower too.

      Delete
  7. I think your library is beautiful and hope it is well supported. I would love to have foxgloves in the garden. The swap idea sounds good and I would be interested in taking part and could mention it on my blog?
    Enjoy your week
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do mention it on your blog - thankyou! I will do a post this week with some suggestions for how the swap might go and make a 'button' so it can be copied for others to click and join.

      Delete
  8. Hello dear Betty, I have just been having the most wonderful wander back through your last few posts & I feel, frankly, quite exhilarated & filled up with goodness...thank you!! White squirrels & a hare, bluebells & blackbird eggs, old libraries & woodland walks...all so very lovely. I love the old wooden gates & styles & paths & rivers. What a delight meeting the elderly forager & walking with her. I'd be there to join you in the library by candle light. Do you think they'd open for a eager-beaver little group ; ) You must be thrilled with your op-shop clothing finds...I'm sure they'll be perfect for the Cuban holiday!
    Lovely painting especially the apple blossom.
    Much love & friendship Catherine x0x0x (I'm having a wee think about the swap)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Catherine, glad you enjoyed my recent posts. Don't think too hard - just join the swap! the more the merrier - there won't be any big deadline with this one, it will be a nice leisurely place with a good 6 weeks to get the gifts together and then post - no pressure!

      Delete
  9. I love all the photos today, Betty. Your big circle walk (so long!) sounds lovely. I sat around finishing up school stuff for hours. A walk would have been much better.
    I can't believe how old that dear library is. Wow! We're such babies here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some walks soon Pompom - I like your posts about your neighbourhood, it is interesting as it all looks so different to ours. Betty

      Delete
  10. It is amazing that you were in a functional library almost 600 years old. Think of all the souls who have frequented that place.

    Lovely pictures of foxgloves. You had quite the walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, yes, very old - but wasn't a library until late 1800s - was prior to the that a house.

      Delete
  11. That library is just gorgeous and so's your country ramble. I must admit that I'm a townie through and through, I can appreciate nature and open spaces but love the hustle and bustle of people! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm up for a swap!

    What a wonderful library ... I'd definitely be a regular there ...

    Thanks or your lovely comments over at mine, love it when you drop in xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Betty - loved this walk too. I also really enjoyed seeing your library - how delightful and such character to it.
    Beautiful Foxgloves... I love them, especially the mauve colour.
    A lovely post once more :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting, Susan - foxgloves are my favourite wildflower but we aren't seeing many of them.

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a glorious day to me! All that nature, walking for hours, even a church on the way....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.