Monday, 26 May 2014

May


On my table:  This huge basket of pine cones was found in the woods just behind our garden..  The library book I am reading is Pay it Forward (about a child who changes a town with his goodwill) ... I had been reading about pay it forward on other blogs and found the link to the book randomly -  I apologise as I can't remember which blog started me off in that direction! 

I found this writing book in Oxfam, the paper is handmade, it feels really special to write on something so carefully made.   I have no idea why it is called a Betty book but I'm very glad, being a Betty as I am.

















Recent flooding and storms left a huge part of the woods behind us with trees down and nothing growing, amidst this brown desolate area are a large number of ladybirds, I thought they ate aphids and don't see any, so I don't know what they are feeding on as it's all brown and dead in the area.  Any ideas?



I drove to a nearby village recently to choose library books in nicer surroundings - this may seem odd to you but I do like a change of scenery - As you can see, it's very old and a bit like the buildings of Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter films.  I am going back soon with my returns so will picture the inside if I can.  I would quite like to choose books at midnight by candlelight to be honest, but can't see them opening up specially for me! as it is they only open once a week.


I got chatting with an elderly lady who invited me to walk with her back to the village as the route is lonely and I was wary (via a churchyard).   She showed me where she forages for fruit. At 83 she walks into her village alone daily to keep fit and meet people, she reminded me of this book. 

 Source: Amazon


I sketched this randomly when thinking I would like my own dinner plates with
a painting and quote perhaps...
(you can also see the birds nest I found is still having an influence!)


This weekend's walk was along the River Mole, the wildflowers are so beautiful and we saw a lot of dragon flies, some black, which is new to me.  You might be surprised to know that these pictures were taken on land close to Gatwick airport.  It has the bonus of keeping teenage boy interested as we can see flights taking off across the tree line every three minutes as we walk (very little noise though)!



On this collage I think top right might be a hare, he was much bigger than a rabbit (rabbits are over the place posing for pictures but I refuse to acknowledge them as they run off when I try to snap!) the hare has longer ears and is not such a common sight, he stops in mid motion and watches - very different to the rabbit - this one was probably watching me long before I saw him. We had a barbecue yesterday and lit the chiminea as the evenings are still cold.


I was entranced by these tiny red flowers, they appear suspended above tall grass like jewels.  I looked them up - they are grass vetchling - I never knew a grass grew such beautiful flowers, did you?  They are described as a herb but I couldn't find anything to say what they are used for.  I would be interested to know if they have a medicinal use?


Lucky snap  of a chalk blue butterfly in the grass vetchling


In my herbal book I learned that buttercups are used as a herbal for arthritis/rheumatism, that they can cause blistering on skin - have a heating affect on the body and can cause ulcers in the mouths of cows if eaten - I love learning about the wild flowers I find more than anything.  My grandmother was very knowledgeable about herbs, it's something our generation is losing touch with.  



Very little painting this month, I would like to do more but have to be in the right mood - this is always when I can't! cooking, cleaning, work and other things  have to take priority - how do you find time for your hobbies? do you plan time or just snatch it?


A while ago I asked what you would like and Nana said camelias so here they are, I painted from Google images - they are similar to roses and I think I have painted roses rather more than camelieas!  Thankyou for visiting my blog - there's a lot of twittering and wittering on this post so thanks for making it to the end!

NB: My camera is cheap and cheerful, quite old, it has a huge blobby mark on the lens
which sometimes is very apparent other times not so much - so I apologise for the quality of the pictures, a camera is on my Christmas wish list!










19 comments:

  1. such a beautiful post, you live in such a beautiful spot, your art is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Laurie, I'm glad you like my art - thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. Charming pix Betty and we love the Betty Book. How special. That is neat that the old lady still walks daily in her village. Have a marvellous Bank Holiday Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Molly, dear little old lady, she didn't half walk fast too!

      Delete
  3. That library is gorgeous and I like the sound of that old lady, what a character.
    Love your art, always so colourful and cheery. That photo of the ladybird amongst all that dead foliage is just beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Vix, that old lady had purple sparkle wellies on, she was quite a character!

      Delete
  4. I'm sure there's a film called 'Pay it Forward'? Must check on Amazon. Lovely May post, I don't see anything wrong with your pics and I absolutely love the camellias, thanks for choosing them to paint this time. I should have loads of time for my hobbies but now that I'm feeling a lot better, have been spending the non-rainy days outdoors but in the main, when I'm working, I have to snatch time to do anything! That blue butterfly is just crying out to be made into a painting. Lovely to 'see' you here, Betty. Hope you've had a good Bank Holiday.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana there is a film of the book, I wanted to read the book first though as reviews say that it's best that way round. Hope you find the film and enjoy it though. I'm so glad you're feeling better and getting outdoors. Yes, that butterfly was so beautiful I think they are not so commonplace now. Glad you like the camellias!

      Delete
  5. What a delightful post, Betty. And your painting is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mariella, thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. your blog is a real delight .hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Bodkin come back soon.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post sharing what you've been up to. I've been trying to take better pictures and improve my skills but I do think that a huge part of it is how the person illustrates and narrates their life. I would never have noticed any issues with your camera till you said. Wildlife is notorious for confounding photographers and I end up with so many missed shots. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, missed shots! I don't know how many times I have gone home thinking I captured something to find it's just escaping off the side of the picture! practice I suppose - youngest boy is a very good photographer but he hasn't the patience, he'd rather forge ahead exploring.

      Delete
  8. Your blog is lovely, so beautiful where you live.
    Kind wishes
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post filled with beautiful things today Betty, Yes I have seen the Pay It Forward Movie & am sure the book is even better. I think its a great principle to practise in our everyday lives. I love your Betty Book - what a great find, That new library building looks very interesting indeed. I think that lady at 83, is amazing & her walking & foraging is probably what keeps her going. Your sketch of the dinner plate is lovely - we have a place about 45 mins away from here where I could take you & you could make that very plate yourself!!!! Have a lovely week my friend x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty ladybird!
    I like your idea of going to another library so that you can have a cheerful change of scenery.
    I've never been good at working my artsy interests into the routine of the day. I just abandon the routine. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post. You always have such such wonderful walks and I love your Betty Book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Betty, you've worked hard collecting those pine cones. They look pretty alongside the flowers.
    Such a delightful plate and, yes, that sweet little birds nest has been a bountiful find :D)
    Loved your walk and how fortunate you were to snap that blue butterfly!
    The Camellias are quite beautiful, and a lovely colour. When the desire to paint comes upon me, I kind of let everything else go... it's nice to be able to do that now that I'm retired. Cheers to you :D)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.