Sunday, 2 March 2014

Brighton last weekend was sunny and full of new things to see... a bit of window shopping, don't you love the bird bag?  Thankyou for lovely comments here and emails wishing me a happy birthday, it was the bestest.  I always go to Brighton for birthday weekends, it feels like home (childhood memories of Summers spent with granny and three aged aunties in tea shops, The Lanes and deckchairs).


The table is made from recycled glass and the base is made from stranglewood, a kind of creeper that uses other trees as it's support so is hollow and not as heavy as you would expect, I think it would be very eco friendly too.  I asked everything except the price! and would love to own it. 


Can't remember if I mentioned one of my paintings was printed on the reader page of a recent copy of Landscape magazine.  It was nice to see it in print.  Another magazine has asked to print my catkins and rosehips.



I went to a very beautiful tiny old church(16th century) in a nearby village last night to hear a concert, my son's friend (below) was playing piano and I went along with his family.  The church was entirely lit with candlelight only so my pictures are not the best.  The first reading (by torchlight!) was Ecclesiastes 3 which I have placed at the bottom of this post.  My favourite part of the Bible.  The church had a very special feel to it and so I will be returning soon.






This is my new motto - from a calendar given by a special blogging friend -
 it has beautiful quotes for artists each month.



Ecclesiastes 3

English Standard Version (ESV)

A Time for Everything

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

17 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely birthday! A trip to Brighton sounds just the ticket, its been years since we last went.
    Love that table. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love it Vix, lots of vintage second hand clothes shops - but they are pricey, not much bargains to be found these days. With the art college nearby there are some good fabric shops though.

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed your birthday weekend away in Brighton.

    Congratulations on being IN PRINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a readers letter page Nancy but it was nice to see it!

      Delete
  3. Betty so pleased you had a nice time in Brighton and well done getting your painting published. Have a serene Sunday and get some big easy in today.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you don't read my replies Molly as your a busy little thing, but I didn't want to leave you out! thanks for stopping by - Betty!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on having your painting published and promises of more publishing. Way to go.Your paintings are always beautiful. What a nice birthday gift for you.

    I love that bible verse, time is so misused and time is so relevant. When we busy, we want more time and when we wait, we want less time. We can wait for tomorrow and can't forget the past. But I'm so thankful for time. What a precious gift.
    Happy weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    That table is so interesting.I never heard of stranglewood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes those verses sum up our ant like life in the eyes of God methinks. I worry about how much time I might have wasted in life, don't you think so too? Yes, stranglewood - I did wonder if the men selling the table were having me on ....?

      Delete
  5. Hooray for you, Betty! Your paintings are MORE than print-worthy. I'm delighted! I'm so glad your birthday weekend was so lovely. The church sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Pompom - you would love this church - it is opposite a very old pub which is also very picturesque - the church have an arrangement so if you have to go to the ladies room you go over to the pub - good excuse eh!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting your paintings in print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou - I think I will run out magazines that do readers letters before long though lol!

      Delete
  7. Those are wonderful verses Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always my favourite, also in the song of the seventees 'turn turn turn' - remember that one?

      Delete
  8. A lovely post Betty - sounds like you had a great weekend away. I do love that bird bag especially. Huge congratulations on getting your painting printed - that is extra special I think :-)
    I love the candlelit pictures of the church & especially love that verse too ... so very true. Your new calendar with the verses sounds particularly true also. Have a great week Betty x0x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you had such a special birthday. Always a good time to catch up with your memories and dreams x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty - Happy birthday late - I am so sorry I missed it. Hope it was the best. Congratulations on your art being featured in publication - what a great testimony to your lovely art. The scripture you used is one of my most favorite verses as well. Take care and hope you are having a lovely start to March.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.