Sunday, 20 October 2013

Tree Fairy/Angel Swap and Other Things

I am so pleased that some of you would like to join me in a Tree Fairy/Angel swap for our Christmas trees - thanks for joining in - I will make an icon asap to share and keep this open until 1st November so anyone else can join us, after 1st November I will post partners.
 
The gift should be hand made but in any way that inspires you, try to use bits and pieces you have already to keep costs down and remember postage and packing costs - budget to be agreed between partners.  If you are joining in, please state on your comment if you will post overseas.





I have been foraging in the woods today, I absolutely love rosehips and this year we have an abundance - last year they were surprisingly scarce.  They really brighten up the home and last for ages.  I am drying some to decorate my Christmas wreath too.



Have you ever made rosehip syrup? I can remember the ready made stuff as a child, the brand name in our house was Delrosa - probably a lot of hard work to make from scratch though - so I will be content with painting them rather than brewing.




Last of the elder and black berries is in this bottle - It's going in my Christmas hamper along with the Harrod's Christmas Pudding I bought in January.  Why don't you join me and start a box or hamper to put some special treats and home made items in to share with friends at Christmas?


I am still waiting for the Chinese brocade to come into stock to make my bedroom wrap so have been busy with other things like this book...


I only usually buy books when they aren't available in my local library  -  I saw this one at this blog which is one of my favourites, you will love it.  Back to the book - it's a great tool to get the creative flow going I got mine for a few pounds on Ebay.  It carries the following warning:

"Warning, to whoever has just picked up this book.  If you find that you are unable to use your imagination, you should put this book back immediately".


I found these small apples in the woods, so pretty, brought them home to decorate my nature corner.  The trees are full of red and yellow leaves and the floor carpeted with fallen acorns.  The woodland creatures are noisy and visible: squirrels, wrens, robins and much rustling in the undergrowth - possibly a hedgehog? fox or even a roe deer  which live in a small part of the woods directly behind my house and are more visible at unexpected moments when there is less foliage on the trees.

Today we had heavy rain, thunder and lightening, it was quite sheltered in the woodland though and I just stood and listened and waited and felt glad to be there, a tree hugger in the rain.


 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Betty! Your rose hip painting is BEAUTIFUL!
    Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PomPom - I am loving red at the moment

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures Betty, you're so talented!

    I remember Delrosa, fed from a Dinky feeder t my little sister ... I'm surprised she has any teeth! It ws very sweet and syrupy, would be banned nowadays!

    Have a lovely week and thanks for popping over to Thriftwood, you're always welcome!

    Love claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting claire. When I was a child Delrosa was compulsory in our house along with cod liver oil ha ha!

      Delete
  3. Love your painting and wow rose hip syrup is so a blast from the past and we loved it. Great you got a mega creative flow going. Have a serene Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Delrosa! Isn't it funny how the old names come back.
    Beautiful paintings Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://crafting.squidoo.com/how-to-make-christmas-angel-crafts
    Betty, I found this site on making angels, it has some lovely ideas. I'm tempted to join you, but you may have enough people by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some fun ideas there - it's not too late Elizabeth, please do join in!

      Delete
  6. Your rosehips look beautiful Betty - I gather them in autumn to pop in my rosepetal potpourris but yours are especially large & colourful compared to my dried up things. I would love to walk in your woods one day gathering things with you. I am glad you bought that book that Catherine mentioned - happy reading, Hugs, Julie x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting - I found some of these roses in a new spot in the woods and think they may not be wild roses, which is probably why the hips are so huge.

      Delete
  7. Your walk in the wood has produced some nice decorating stuff. I love your Rose hips painting. It must be nice to draw freely like you do and paint. I love your talents and you use them well.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Betty - I'm glad your swap is going down so well! I've got no time at all, sadly, but it's lovely to have a bit of time to blog and to read posts, though. I saw a little hedgehog on Thursday! I was having a picnic lunch on the veranda at work and suddenly looked down and there was a little chap snuffling and rolling his way through the grass near my boss's swimming pool! I watched him closely to see that he didn't fall in... I loved reading all your autumnal experiences - thanks! And thanks for your comments about my pretty tins, too. I loved them before, but I love them all the more now I see how enthusiastic you all are about them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Betty, I am glad that you like the book. I am actually giving my copy away for Christmas as a gift to a family..they are Rudolph Steinery & I know that they will love it. Your hips are so beautiful...I found some like that last Autumn out in the wild, of course, eventually they dry out & shrivel so best to paint them or turn them into syrup! Oh...I wonder what a row roe deer looks like? Grand idea about the Christmas hamper..I'll have to think hard though since it's spring & there's not so much around...although the elderflowers are out..might need to take a walk & harvest some tomorrow & make some syrup...yay. Much love my friend x0x0x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.