Sunday, 17 March 2013

Simple Pleasures



Hubby gave me a copy of Landscape magazine, it's a real treat with minimal advertising -all the pages are full of something useful!  inside are articles on lacemaking, decorating eggs, wildlife, business enterprise  and much more - what a lovely bit of indulgence.

The cover reminded me of times when my mother decorated boiled eggs for Solstice/Easter with beetroot or onion dye - but these eggs look too good to eat with their leafy loveliness. don't you think?

I dug out some Spring pictures from the last few years on my blog .... here was my first apron - 'stolen' by a friend who wanted it a lot! maybe I should make myself another? you can never have too many aprons.


 

I remember making these blossom branches a few years back  maybe on a dry day some twigs will be found, a different colour tissue blossom this time perhaps?


 Last year I found these violets deep in the woods carpeting the dry wood floor, they were such a treat to find in their secret mossy hideaway.....

 
I remember painting these snowdrops on a bit of silk last year, it was impossible to get the white right and I gave up - but they don't look so bad revisited!
 
 
 
 
Spring Solstice is not far away but the woods are still dormant, lying under a wet cloak of dried leaves and shrivelled, frost blackened berries. Under this cloak surely things are growing and will surprise us soon?
 
 
 
Today I drank some of the elderberry cordial I made in the Autumn -it's full of vitamin C and I'm beginning to feel a lot better. 
 
I decided to bake bread today and maybe lentil soup.
Simple comforts are what seem to matter today. 
 
What have you been doing? 
 
 









13 comments:

  1. What lovely eggs! Are the leaf designs done by dabbing paint over the leaves? That's what I've seen suggested in another mag this year, and I think I'll give it a go. You hold the leaves in place with a stocking and then dab with batik dye and brush... I'm glad you're feeling better, Betty - thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes Floss, please do some, I would love to see - the mag suggested the stocking method but dipping in natural dyes from boiled onions (yuk!). I have also seen some chalkboard (black) painted ones on Pinterest that look interesting.

      Delete
  2. I love Landscape. It is the only magazine I subscribe to.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty we hope you are feeling better. You kind of reminded me of times past too. Maybe I will make an effort to decorate some eggs this year. Why not? Have a super Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to decorate eggs when the children , and grands were around. I haven't done it for years, but might just try again.
    Hope you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've still got my apron you gave me from our first swap. D'you remember? I used to boil the eggs in tea for some colour. Not as interesting as using beetroot juice! I made lentil soup for the masses today. Just the kind of day for it. So glad you're starting to feel better. Have a good week, Betty. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks like a lovely magazine - the eggs on the cover are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your trip down memory lane. Today I've managed to write a blog post. I'm finding it hard to find the time at the moment. We've also taken Spencer for a walk on the common and made a visit to B&Q for paint and other DIY stuff. Keep well. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Betty, what an interesting looking magazine, not sure i have seen that one out over here. I love the eggs on the front cover :-) Also adore your little woodland violets & your twig branch - just simple, lovely things to surround ourselves with. Julie Xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're feeling like doing homey things again, Betty! I love all of your Springy items, just wish we had the weather to go with them...
    Blessings,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that magazine looks lovely. I think I will put decorating eggs on our Easter list, not sure that they'll be that good though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betty, I got that copy of Landscape for Mother's Day and saved it to take away at the weekend- isn't it just a feast for the eye and the mind?! I love the egg painting idea, but don't have any thin tights- old or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty eggs. Thanks for the tip on Landscape magazine...shall look into that. Feel better and keep drinking that cordial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.