Thursday, 14 March 2013

Time for a change.....

After searching for nearly a year I have stumbled upon a painting group that meet weekly for two hours with tutor, local and for only £4 including a cup of tea!  I came by them via  a vicar at the church I randomly attended on Christmas Eve who emailed me details!  So, armed with a lovely little set of watercolour paints hubby gave me for my birthday (so far untouched), I will set out next week full of hope and enthusiasm for something new.

watercolour - with plenty of room for improvement methinks!
Thankyou to everyone who takes time to visit and especially comment on my silk paintings.  I won't be doing any more now as it's time to let go of the safe and familiar.
 
 
 
 
  Those of you who have come to know me a bit will understand my tidy mind and need to close one door before opening another! I want to paint in detail, quickly and spontaneously so learning watercolour will be new and exciting.  Silk painting has been a great way to gain confidence and experiment with colour but has its limits (time, cost and only available in 2d!). 

I feel quite pleased to let go of the old and begin a brand new adventure!

This week I have done very little except sleep as I have a virus, I won't bore you with details but am enjoying the company of Ambercat, books and lots of hot drinks - my latest 'like' is cinnamen bark in hot water - it feels very therapeutic and of course smells homely.

I am reading Bear Grylls, I like his tv series and would love to camp in the woods and try out some of his survival advice - but this book is totally different, it's about his philosophy on life, he is a fantastic thinker and motivator.

Source: Amazon (or in my case local library!)


I have been cooking from this little book:

Source: Amazon - well worth buying
 having made lamb curry and chappatis last week, I raced on this week to bombay potatos and chicken curry



- we all love curry here and these are quick and easy to do - so very rewarding and no more difficult than my previous method of opening a jar of Pataks - no kidding! just slightly messier in the kitchen afterwards.


How's everyone getting on with the Spring Bouquet swap? mine is just about finished (although I must stress there is NO hurry) ... so I will post as soon as well enough to journey to the post box to my lovely partner, Elizabethd.

The house is quiet apart from the ticking clock (which reminds me, I must get some new hands for my dormant cuckoo clock that sits timeless and silent - they sort of dropped off, went to a safe place and got lost)....



 I see pussy willow nodding over the fence from my neighbours garden and am resisting the temptation to snip a bit off! not sure I can hold out as catkins are nodding on the other side as the woods creep in to Spring.... but it's all too much to think about today.  I don't know where my wellies are anyhow and am trying to rest - I'm like a bird in a cage, have to have something thrown over me to make me sleep... so with favourite granny blanket over my head (thanks Nana) .....  Ambercat and I are about to nod off....

Betty x




29 comments:

  1. So sorry you aren't well Betty, take care of yourself.
    I am just about ready to post my swap, so maybe when you emerge from the blanket you could ask Ambercat to send me your address!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty firstly we love your silk painting. We would not have the confidence or talent trust me. Curry looks well good. We hope you are better soon. Take it easy and get lots of sleep. Have a tranquil Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Molly and friends. I love it when you stop by.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see the results of the new art course!
    How lovely to do something new for the Spring : )
    I do hope you are fully recovered soon,Betty. Mind you, I don't suppose Ambercat minds some snuggly days with Mum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Alex - still under the blanket today but will emerge for your 4pm link up

      Delete
    2. AW! only if you feel like it, Betty.
      Don't set fire to the blanket...but stay under it!!
      x

      Delete
  4. Hello Betty, thats kind of exciting news about you leaving your silk painting behind & trying a new venture. I am always hesitant with new ventures but getting better as I get "more mature"!!! Your curry looks delicious too - do hope you are feeling much better real soon, cinnamon in hot water sounds yummy :-) take care, Julie Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every year a new adventure I hope (last year sign language) for me it's necessary to stop hanging on to something I can do and start empty handed with something new! Cinnamon bark apparently inhibits bacterial growth and has many other benefits, I do wonder if sometimes our bodies know what we need and that's why we crave things.

      Delete
  5. Two words - EASTER CARDS!
    So sorry you're feeling so poorly - must be that dreaded flu virus by the sounds of it. Your curries will definitely sweat it out of you! They look so appetising. Out with the old, in with the new.....though I'm glad I'm the proud owner of some of your silky bits and pieces before you gave up! I'll always treasure them. Get better quickly and I think I'll have to make another blanket - that one's certainly getting a lot of use!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nana - too late for Easter cards but maybe I could challenge myself to Christmas cards.

      Delete
  6. Oh my how I love new adventures. I'm sure your new watercolor adventure will be wonderful. Can't wait to see some paintings. Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Feel better soon! You and my grandson would get along very well together. He loves Bear Grylls. He's only 6 years old, but he quotes Bear all the time. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandson sounds like a real adventurer! isn't it great that Bear inspires kids to still want to do the survival stuff in an age of computer games and technology! Thanks for stopping to comment.

      Delete
  7. Sorry you aren't feeling well, so much going around right now. Congrats on the class to new awareness of your talents. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just signed up for a one time class in pastels.I have always painted in acrylics so this is brand new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried acrylics - maybe that's one for next year! My memories of pastels are of my grandad's huge collection, all chalky and dusty in boxes like treasure in tissue papers, which I never mastered the use of ... hope you will blog about your class.

      Delete
  8. Just found your blog today and really enjoyed visiting! I love your silk paintings. Maybe I'll have to give it a try, I tried water color painting but wasn't very good at it, but enjoyed trying! Have a wonderful day and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's all that's required Wendy - to enjoy trying... beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder - I don't doubt my attempts are going to be very lacking but I intend to have fun! DO give it another try. Betty x

      Delete
  9. It sounds like you are on the mend, Betty! Amber is a nice little nurse.
    I'm glad you are going to water color! I can't wait to see your work.
    Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PomPom - Amber is very antentive but she wakes me up to see if I'm ok!

      Delete
  10. I'm so in awe of your painting talents, Betty - I'm excited for you about the new class! Get well soon and thanks, as always, for your lovely blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Floss, I am on the mend and looking forward to my class!

      Delete
  11. Hope you are on the mend. Love reading your posts, make me come over all tranquil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your watercolor really caught my eye and I think it's beautiful! Have fun with your new painting group, it sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Karen - I will have fun - definitely!

      Delete
  13. So glad to know you will be delving into watercolor.

    Your curries look yummy!

    Feel better soon.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the nasty virus and I hope that you will soon feel better. I love your silk painting and I know that you'll do fantastic in watercolor. I think that you are so talented.

    I love curries and yours looks yummy.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Julia for your encouragement, really appreciated.

      Delete
  15. I've loved seeing your silk paintings and watching your confidence grow and am so excited to see you stepping up to something new. Having seen your talent with the silk painting I am confident that you will soon pick up the new skills and paint some lovely work. I so look forward to hearing about it and seeing the results.

    Sorry to hear you've been ill, but hope you are recovered soon. I'm now off to amazon to look at the Bear Grylls book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Carolyn! your enthusiasm is contageous!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.