Thursday, 30 August 2012

This Week and Paint Party Friday


For Paint Party Friday I silk painted a twiggy birds nest..  Thankyou to regular visitors who always take time to comment and welcome also to two new visitors to this blog - Bee Happy and Attic Clutter and all the people from Paint Party Friday who have visited and left helpful comments too.This was my first experience with some coloured gutta and I found it difficult to control, it's far from perfect I think but I like the black twigs.


(A:  Pompom, gutta is the liquid that stops the ink spreading, I draw my outline with the nozzle then the ink seeps in around any exposed areas).
I have been reading Pollyanna (E.H. Porter) this week - real escapism to read a book like this  - she plays the gladness game - I do too (where you think of something positive to overide any negative situation) it's a really useful attitude and enables you to change the way you see things and feel better about things you can't change. 

 
This is an experiment to see what happens with layering colour - the gutta doesn't show anymore as you have colour behind it, but the texture of the silk changes, the ink didn't have much movement and the result is more solid - maybe good for small areas.  Experiment over.


Lesson: don't overdo it

A busy weekend ahead at work.  Tomorrow evening I will be making my elderberry cordial to put in my New Year's Eve champagne.

19 comments:

  1. I still have four of the original Pollyanna books, and dip into them now and then, lovely stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I didn't know there were more books, unless I have a big fat four in one perhaps! When I get to the end will check with you in case there is more.

      Delete
  2. Fun to see that you used your colored gutta on the nest. Very pretty result! Regarding the gutta: I almost always use a small brush, dip it into the gutta, then paint the resist lines with the brush.

    You can make colored gutta yourself by just adding a bit of paint into a small container of the clear gutta until you get the color/shading you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nancy - I haven't tried gutta on a brush as I thought it would allow seepage - will try it this week and tell you how it goes. The coloured gutta I have is quite thick and blobby and comes out too fast.

      Delete
  3. I love Pollyanna very much. I read the first book a while ago (I didn't know there were more until I read Elizabeth's comment)
    Thank you for explaining gutta. Your nest is perfect. I think nests are one of the most lovely images.
    Elderberry cordial sounds so English. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elderberry cordial is so yummy - you just boil the berries covered with water and same weight in sugar and mash through a seive, then bottle up - in the winter it's very nice on a sore throat but is just spectacular dripped into champagne.

      Delete
  4. I know nothing about art...I just know that I like what you have done.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou- I know nothing about art either - I just know what I like! I think the best guide in colour/texture is nature itself, don't' you?

      Delete
  5. Oh beautiful twigs/nest..
    thanks on my wide mouth fabric pumpkin (:) hugs..Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable twiggy bird nest!!
    Lovely!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you explained gutta, since I've never heard of it before.
    I like the dreamy watercolor effects around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you explained gutta... had never heard of it and you saved me having to google it.. enjoyed visiting your blog and am looking forward to following....especially if you post a picture of your elderflower cordial... I love all things elderflower...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoying your adventures into silk painting. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you explained what gutta is, I had never heard of it before. I love the work you do, and I think every piece has lessons for us!! I love the blue of the eggs bringing your eye to the middle. Such a dream quality to this type of work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Betty!
    Just dropping by to say hi ~ and I absolutely love your delicate nest, as usual it captures the delicate treasure of nature. I'm loving the early Autumn! I am sure you are too.
    I have been reading Miss Read, and Dickens'David Copperfield.
    Blessings to you,
    Alex xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I missed this one!I love the bird's nest, especially the twigs.I think you got it just right.
    I always had a tendency to want to throttle Pollyanna - she was always just so bleedin' happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of Gutta either. I am amazed at what can be done with it. Your blog and the answers you have given are intriguing. I am a new follower. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.