Sunday, 12 August 2012

Experiment with Freezer Paper


I tried silk painting using a new to me  method - with freezer paper today.  I did an ink outline on the freezer paper reverse, then ironed the silk to the wax side, then traced the ink outline with gutta on to the silk, then painted.  I wanted to see if it would be easier and quicker than the usual method of stretching silk on a frame.  This is the freezer paper result:



I don't think the results with the freezer paper are as good as my usual method, although hubby disagrees.  To be fair I did rush this as it's only an experiment but I think it untidy and didn't like the way the ink moved with a backing on the silk.

This is my benchmark stretched silk on frame method, which I like better and think is neater.




Conclusion:  freezer paper would be useful for painting large areas in colour blocks, i.e. scarves, but not so good for  gutta outlining.

I rarely come across people who silk paint (apart from you Nancy), wonder if anyone has tried freezer paper and what you thought of it.

5 comments:

  1. They both look unbelievably GORGEOUS to me. I like the colors and the muted messages that your paintings speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is darned clever, Betty. I will try that on the next church banner...am thinking of doing three squashed together (pumpkin, acorn squash, etc.) and larger outlines, so that would work really well. Good idea! Yea!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no expert but I think your silk on frame method is much cleaner and sharper looking than the freezer paper. Either way though, your painting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On another note, Betty, I have used freezer paper (bought in the kitchen section of a grocery store) to back cotton fabric.

    The reason to back cotton (or your silk): if you cut it into the exact size of your printer paper, 8"x11", then iron it on to the fabric, it will go into your printer. I printed off a Google map, then ran the cotton fabric through the printer, then used it as an applique on a tote. You reminded me of this; think I did a post on it and will send. If not posted, then there's something to write about!!

    Enjoy your lovely pink orchid!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just this minute forund you again. The fairy had gone wandering in the wild strawberry fields, and was much missed. But here you are thankfully. What silken magic have I missed- my goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.