Saturday, 28 July 2012

Sunday




Hollyhocks on silk revisited, I like these colours better than the last picture I did, this one is going to a new home once it is washed free of salt and ironed. Do you long for a cottage garden, crammed with hollyhocks, nasturtium, big floppy roses, honeysuckle, maybe a pond with frogs and dragonflies?  



the nearest to a garden like this is the derelect building near the woods with it's overgrown garden, it has been reclaimed by the fields and woods but there are lots of cottage garden flowers there amongst the weeds.  The overgrown, half hidden pond had lillies coming into bud last time I was there.  I dream about this little garden and think that if I won the lottery I would rebuild it all and live there!  It's good to have dreams, don't you think.

I have developed a fascination for fossils inspired by my young nephews interest.  Am I the only adult obsessed, or is there a secret society of fossil fans out there?  I remember as a child combing the beach for stones that might contain crystals or sealife fossilised - having no means of cutting the stones, I never did find any but just kept the stones and imagined they might contain something wonderful! but we often found pieces of jet and other semi-precious stones which my mother put in her stone polisher and brought to a wonderful shine.

I have a 'holiday at home' coming up from next weekend.  Time to visit my brothers, see the seaside, visit the woods, paint, (look for fossils?).  Nothing planned so will go with the weather and have odd days out.
Looking forward to rest, sunshine and lie ins!


11 comments:

  1. Wow Betty, it's beautiful! I just had a look at your tutorials, what a wonderful and interesting process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Judy - it is really enjoyable - hope you give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Love your silk paintings. I love fossils too and I think I have passed my passion onto my son who loves Geology. When I was little, my dad was a coal miner and often used to find fascinating and very big fossils in the bowels of the coal mine. I contributed them to our schools nature table.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of coal, Diane, I bet there's loads of fossils down there!

      Delete
  3. Yes lovely colours indeed this time in the hollyhocks. Yes, I suppose I did love fossils..we lived up a limestone hill for quite a bit of my growing up. There were lots of amazing shells & crustaceans in the many limestone rocks found all around us. Have a lovely break Betty...yay pottering & lie ins! x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes limestone is probably a good place to look.

      Delete
  4. Oh, your hollyhocks are lovely! I love the deep colors!
    I do hope you enjoy your rest, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a marvelous job on those hollyhocks; just love hollyhocks and YOUR silks. Am going to refresh my memory by using your tutorial again. You do such a good job of keeping the colors separate; just lovely! PS: your package MIGHT get sent this week! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am puzzled as to what the package might be - will let you know when it arrives. thanks.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.