Monday, 21 May 2012

Nasturtium

This week another nasturtium picture, this time on silk... I am learning about nasturtium in my herbal books.  Did you know the mustard-like oil in them has anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and can also be useful for urinary or respiratory infections.  They are dangerous ingested in large amounts and also can burn if left on the skin more than 10 minutes, likewise eating large amounts can upset your intestines, but in small amounts they are good for our immune system.  I will be very wary of how I use them, the odd flower in a salad is sufficient I think!


When we were children our mum gave us nasturtium leaves in our sandwiches, they had a nice peppery flavour but I hadn't eaten the flowers until recent years.  I have planted lots of nasturtium in the garden this year randomly.  I have heard of the seeds being pickled but not tried them.  Have you?


Isn't it surprising how useful some of the everyday things around us have been in years gone by.

I had a nice day with friends round for lunch.  I used supermarket value soup and cooked it in the oven until it thickened, added dumplings and served with french sticks.



5 comments:

  1. I think the seeds are capers, aren't they? They certainly look like capers... I've got some climbing nasturtiums which have re-seeded themselves (much to my pleasure). I shall have to try them out - carefully!

    Thanks for your comments. I see what you mean about all that wealth - sorry I didn't quite 'get' it at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Floss, capers must be it - I have never eaten one though. Yes the wealth 'let them eat capers' and all that!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! That sounds like a wonderful lunch, Betty!
    Your nasturtiums are pretty. They are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad grew nasturtiums in the garden when I was little and we used to eat them on occasion. Now they have moved and have a garden once again he was planting some recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those oranges and greens are beautiful!! I love how the nasturtiums turned out...so pretty. Now you have inspired me to do this!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.