Sunday, 15 January 2012

The Woods

I had a lovely walk in the woods today, all these pictures were taken today as the light was really good...


This little wooded world I live in is small and dependent on everything around it to continue but changes are afoot...



The farmland around these woods is being built on, there is now quite a large housing estate covering about 50% of the area I used to wander in last year.



These pictures are of the remaining unobstructed areas.

The houses above are the edge of a new estate that has grown in months and is now fully populated.


We have seen much more wildlife, probably because of the building works. This week I saw a green woodpecker on my neighbours lawn and listened to a mistle thrush in the trees behind my house.


 At first I had felt angry about all this change eating away at the lovely open land around here, but now I have accepted what's happening, people need houses and communities grow, it's part of life.  We aren't in a rural village setting, we live less than a mile from Gatwick! so really are very lucky to have so much of nature around us and to have the airport and surrounding towns with the work they offer.  So mustn't grumble.

Content - that's my New Year resolution -
 and I think I can be content to share my little world with newcomers.


Catkins seem to be arriving early.

There was frost on the ground this afternoon.


I'm off to watch Avatar - the pictures and scenery are magical.....








10 comments:

  1. It is always hard to lose woodlands to housing, but sadly that is the need now. Your photos of the wild plants and trees are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Elizabeth, I think I am lucky that the bonus for me is that there is this little pocket of protected woodland and the creatures that have been disturbed by building works are moving closer to me!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful tour, and I'm in a similar situation to you with land being taken up around us for housing - Toulouse is nearby and there's a constant need for homes, particularly in the more affordable towns further out. I've always been amazed that you have so much open space so near to Gatwick. I hope that you do keep your woodlands. 'Avatar' seems kind of relevant given this encroachment on nature...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to see much of Avatar! it goes on for hours so is going to be watched in installments.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. I love the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for stopping by Shaheen

      Delete
  4. It's happening everywhere, Betty. They did the same in our village on the pretext of integrating with the rest of us.,..then they built a 6ft high wall around their estate!More to keep them in than us out, I fancy! Thanks for the kind award. I was having problems commenting too but now that I've changed over to Google Chrome, it seems troublefree. Catch up soon. Have a great week.ps I haven't seen Avatar yet but now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nana I have just downloaded Chrome and will see how that goes.

      Delete
  5. It still looks really lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's what you want it to be sometimes, I could have taken pictures of the building works too - they are side by side!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.