Saturday, 5 February 2011

Spiritual Sunday - Housegroup & Friends

If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!"

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
 
This week, joining in with Spiritual Sunday,  I thought I would tell you about my Housegroup.  We are a group of mums who meet each Tuesday morning.  We are a baptist based group and start with prayer and share where we catch up on news over a cup of tea and then pray for each other's worries big or small. 

Several of us have children with special needs, one lady has Aspergers, somebody else has suffered depression, another has beaten breast cancer.   I know not everybody would feel comfortable praying aloud,that's ok and some people in our group pray silently - God hears all our prayers, loud or silent and the best thing is that we are not praying alone and have the spiritual support of each other as well as friendship.
We are working our way through the book A Year's Journey with God (it is a daybook but can be used randomly too).  Each week one lady chooses a page that has inspired her, finds Bible verse that is relevant and we all have a chat about it, maybe contribute some verses or thoughts of our own.

Recently we have included singing - yes, singing! someone might bring along a CD (or we might manage without any accompaniment!) - two songs, usually ones we have learned in Church - chosen by whoever's turn it is and they explain why that song is special. 

When I joined my group 10 years ago I was new to the Church, had just been baptised but was new in my faith, had young children and didn't have many friends - this group has helped me grow in my faith and to know God in everyday life inside and outside of church.

If you don't belong to a Housegroup you are really missing out - you could start your own up. At our group we have come to know each other well and , if one of us is ill the others make sure she has everything she needs.  We are all firm friends and have seen each other through many difficult times and happy times too.

'Never take a friend for granted
 hold every person close to your heart
because you might wake up one day and realize
that you've lost a diamond
while you were too busy collecting stones'
Anon

There is a link on the RHS sidebar if you would like to join Spiritual Sunday or see other contributions.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post.
    I agree that you should never take a friend for granted or indeed anyone you hold dear..Em x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. What you and your group is doing is wonderful--absolutely wonderful. I want to encourage you to keep on going. Again, you post is very good and will bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty:

    My husband and I belong to a home group - several couples meet together each week. I can't begin to express how much each of these people mean to me. They are there to lift us up, to encourage, to pray. We've been through a lot together - good and bad.

    Tonight was a special time as we were able to attend the wedding of one couple's daughter to a youth pastor.

    I can tell from your post how special the ladies in your group are.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. My husband I go to home groups and we love them.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to be in a circle of Christian friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh betty thats soooo lovely! really uplifting, inspiring post ;0)x
    especially as i went to a local church run group next to my daughters pre school. but when i heared about it i was already 5 weeks late, for a 6 week 'meet-up' sessions...i think it re-starts some time this spring ;0)xxxx

    best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Betty, this is a wonderful thing to do. What would we do with the love of our friends. Christians are all one big family and that is the best blessing to have.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I bet they love you. You are so open and ready to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.