Saturday, 4 December 2010

Pause in Advent 2 - Snow and Scarlet Cloth



Job 37:6 "For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth..."

The snow has been beautiful but now it is melting I am relieved as overnight it had the country at a virtual standstill. I have thought a lot this week about how nature can suddenly throw us into dangerous situations beyond our control. I have been reminded this week that God's hand is over us.

Proverbs 31:21
She is not afraid of the snow for her household :  for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
What a lovely thought to take into the week ahead for all us homemakers who strive to keep their families warm and cosy and properly wrapped up from the elements - and a reminder that God provides
 

 (I googled this verse because I wanted to understand the reference to scarlet - in biblical times scarlet cloth was a double  thread that would have been thicker and warmer.) .



Today I am putting some of my decorations up, starting with the sacks I made each of my boys when they were born (above). I am making stuff too, will show you later.


A bit of greenery in an area that is usually forgotten - makes it feel festive.

4 comments:

  1. Oh your stair wreath is stunning. Makes me want a bannister xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew what 'scarlet cloth' referred to - thanks, Betty! I have one son who has spent his life refusing to be wrapped up - now he's in the south of France he has the perfect excuse to avoid coats: 'But I'm English - it's not cold for me!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your deckies look gorgeous! Loads of love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty
    Thanks for visiting :-)
    And thank you for the two quotes as they are so apt for the moment, aren't they? I too was relieved to see the snow disappear and the chance to reclaim mobility again! I've not heard about the scarlet cloth before, and that is such an interesting fact isn't it? I love that the warmest cloth was red :-)
    Happy Advent to you,
    D x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.