Wednesday, 4 May 2022

Seeds

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my last post.  This week has been a little cold and damp with some much needed and refreshing rain last night.   The woods behind us have a lot of tree pollen which is causing the men in the house to get itchy eyes and throats.  It's hayfever season and not much you can do about it!  This is actually a view of someone's garden that is by the woods - isn't it fabulous!
.
We had a lovely 2 hour walk in the woods the other day - as someone has cut back the brambles on one of the lesser used paths in the woods, we were able to explore along the riverbank for about 3 miles.  There were so many bluebells, garlic and wood anemone and also herb robert and violet, I enjoyed it so much.  We found a little den - these turn up in the woods from time to time, I think it my be a maintenance project as there are  lot of fallen trees.



This week's Art theme over on Rain's blog was 'Planting Seeds'.   I have planted a lot of wildflower seeds in my garden this year which are just sprouting and am hopeful of some success with these as they have medicinal value and also attract bees and butterflies.... I had a search through my paintings and found these 'some I prepared earlier' on the theme of seed heads ...


Dandelion heads in watercolour.

Dandelions painted on silk



dried grass seed heads watercolour


more dandelion seedhead watercolour (we recently started eating the flowers in salads but the leaves are diuretic - I am sure I can't be the only one whose grandmother would not allow me to pick them for this reason!).

I will leave you with a picture of Mollie, she's nearly two now, still nervous and sometimes snaps or swipes but so much better than when she first arrived a year or so ago.  She will now stretch out when sleeping instead of scrunching up in that tight little ball, which shows she trusts us and feels at home.  Still a long way to go with her anxiety issues but she smiles a lot (cats smile by squinting their eyes at you in case you didn't know!).

I have been experimenting with food shopping daily this week... do you think it works out cheaper? I think possibly the opposite as less planning, but then again you can take advantage of reduced items and offers if you are flexible about what you eat.  Hubby is away for a few days with work so youngest son is cooking - it's curries every night yay!
 


31 comments:

  1. Wow. Fabulous water colour art.
    Have a nice Thursday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Gillena, thankyou for visiting my blog - do you have a blog? would be nice to see :)

      Delete
  2. Daily food shopping is too much for me. I enjoy shopping twice a week.
    Your painted dandelions look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the men in your house and hay fever. I have it too. You walked such a lovely place, and I am loving your beautiful seed art. I knew you could eat dandelion leaves but didn't know about the flowers. That's interesting. Happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Erika, sorry about our hay fever - I think the best time for a walk in nature if you suffer is when it's raining!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I think grocery shopping for the day, like our foremothers did, would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I wondered if you have a blog, if not, maybe you will give it a go - thank you for visiting. I think you are right although these days the temptation to impulse buy would be strong :)

      Delete
  5. Betty, when I was little we used to blow on dandelion seeds and send wishes through it.
    For reasons of time, it is better to shop weekly, but if you go to the supermarket daily, you may be able to get deals.
    Greetings Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma, yes we did the dandelion wishes too :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Betty! Mollie is so lovely! Tim smiles at us, too. Mmmmmm. Please describe those curries? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take some pictures of the curries :) I heard you have an addition to the family, congratulations.

      Delete
  7. What a joy it must be to live in the country like that. I can only imagine the beauty of it all, especially from the photos you shared.

    I absolutely adore your dandelion seed heads and that last one with the leaves is incredible. You are a great artist.

    BTW, I am a cat lover, and had no idea they smile by squinting their eyes. Apparently, my two cats have nothing to smile about (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky as I am only 45 mins by train from London and/or the coast and actually live in suburbia with countryside - so a bit of everything :) Thanks for compliment on my painting. I hope your cats smile at you - if I smile at Mollie she always feels obliged to return one.

      Delete
  8. Love all the dandelion paintings - one word 'cards'! Glad Mollie's chilling out. I think daily shopping works out more expensive by the end of the week. I keep meaning to set a budget and go round Tesco's with one of those adding machines they provide and stick to said budget, like all the other very organised people I see doing it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cards, yes, I will try to focus on that I haven't painted for ages. Those hand held machines are beyond me, I have never tried them.

      Delete
  9. Hi Betty! I really love that first dandelion watercolor! Beautiful. Your art is so lovely! That photo of Mollie is sweet! I always try to give the cats and Jack the "soft eyes" and they always return the favour, it's so cute! Well, I think you might already know I do monthly shopping which is dreadful and takes a lot of planning, but I always save money that way. I shop the flyers and go to Costco, I don't think you have those there do you? Big warehouse membership only store but the savings more than make up for the price of membership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hin Rain, that's my favourite too. We do have Costco - we also have Booker. A monthly shop must take huge planning, everyone here would eat all the biscuits in the first week!

      Delete
  10. There’s so much to love about this post - walks in woods, lovely gardens, exploring along riverbanks, planting seeds, and wonderful watercolor paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your watercolors are amazing. I tried that once, did not turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, not all my efforts come out well, practice makes it better but it takes a while to get the hang of the paints, I hope you will try again.

      Delete
  12. Love your paintings!!! And the first photo is so beautiful, you are so lucky to have that nearby. Mmmmm, curries...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i loved your woods walk three miles sounds enough to have a perfect walk dear Betty ,i can walk in the yard for half hour but i am glad at least i can do it .
    omg your old art is splendid third one is my most favorite ,so fascinating ,loved it .glad you shared them .
    i am glad you had rain ,best wishes for plantation .we too eat sunflower seeds here .
    yes i remember when moly came to your house and how scared or shy she was .this is nice she is feeling comfortable with you guys now .
    your son is amazing to cook regularly for you ,hope your husband comes back to you soon my friend.
    more blessings to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very beautiful post. I would love to send you all the rain you need. LOL We are in yet another storm from hell. Love the art. You have a very nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh, you are a soulmate ... Pisces, woods, wildflowers (including dandelions) and a precious kitten like your Mollie, who we have finally won the trust of, but still startles with the slightest provocation. Your paintings are delightful and your thoughtfulness is obvious. You are a joy, Betty...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tis the season for pollen! Love the art here, Betty. And I think it's 50/50 on shopping daily. If you can be disciplined and go for what you need, it's good (and saves a lot of space in the kitchen). But it's so easy to see something else and pretty soon you have the tally up beyond where you hoped! (Mollie is a doll!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If there young and tender actual don't mind dandelion greens. I like second painting of silk.
    Every thing is so expensive now.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Betty, well aren't those silk paint and watercolour seed heads just gorgeous :) I love the look of the woods too, with bluebells and a witchy den! Moille is definitely squinty-eyed-cat-smiling in that picture. She looks very content and relaxed. I find one big weekly online shop works out cheaper for me now (I can see what I'm spending and stick to budget), but there are some cracking bargains to be had. I used to work late shifts and would pick up whole cooked chickens for pittance and 'going going gone' salads as the supermarkets were closing - no need to cook! Bonus! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wood sounds and looks wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.