Sunday, 13 February 2022

Shopping

 Hubby took me to Brighton recently.   We took the train (45 minutes door to door) and left the car as parking can be expensive unless you use the Marina which is a fair walk from town.  





It was surprisingly mild and sunny although I did need my nice warm coat  (La Redoute, 1995), underneath was my All about Audrey dress purchased at the beginning of lockdown when I first discovered her lovely shop.  


This is some wall art just off Trafalgar Street, there's always plenty of this and it changes
frequently - we loved the current tropical theme.



this coffee shop had outdoor seating


We didn't go to the seafront, our objective was to 'get out' for a bit, do some shopping for books and tuck in to a Malaysian/Asian meal at our favourite budget restaurant which changes names frequently but is distinctive with its red/yellow signage.  They used to be cash only but now can manage a card reader which makes the process easier.  A tenner a head these days is not bad and the portions are huge.  I had Malaysian vegetable curry and Hubby had sweet and sour chicken.








We spent well over an hour in my favourite shop, Waterstones Books, browsing travel books -  we are interested in visiting the Philippines....  they have such cosy spots that encourage you to read (and purchase) the books so we stayed a good hour.   I take pictures of the display in the travel section whenever I visit, so I can source the books later at our library.  If it's not then available to borrow I will buy  - this also prevents me impulse buying!




There was a small amount of shopping involving a pretty dress for when we start going to the workplace.  For the last two years I have worked from home, right through the Pandemic and had lost touch with 'office wear'.  Poundland came up trumps with huge growbags for the potatos and tomatos I hope to grow this year in the garden and also pizza trays and even coloured paper pompoms (for next Christmas decorations!).


Obviously a pub was involved on the journey home.  Tiring but nice to get out.




23 comments:

  1. Sounds a perfect day, not been to Brighton for a couple of years, and like you if we go again we would go by train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the train journey and then there's no worry about where to park and what time to be back :)

      Delete
  2. That was a good day out!
    I still have coats from La Redoute..must be twenty years old and still look good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arent La Redoute good GZ, I also have a leather skirt of theirs that's about 25 years old, their stuff is built to last.

      Delete
  3. You look about 16 in that pic with the Phillipines book! Love your dress too and well jel that you're getting out and about (counting the minutes til it's my turn!). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can venture out soon :) I think a good camera and lighting were on hand when those pics were taken lol!

      Delete
  4. It sounded like a very nice day out. You could check out 8 Miles from Home, a video series on YouTube of a family that went on an extended vacation to the Philippines right before Covid restrictions, and essentially decided to live there indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ann, you look like a teenager huddled up in Waterstones with your book. A couple of our festival pals spent 4 months in the Phillipines back in 2019 and loved it. Alex Garland's book, The Beach, was actually based on a paradise beach he'd found when he was travelling there but he chanmged it to Thailand so it didn't get ruined by tourists.
    I absolutely love your All About Aud dress and how you've winterised it with the fake fur and sexy boots.
    Dinner looks delish as does lovely Brighton. Great move going by train, you can have a few in the pub, then! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix :) the book sounds interesting. That dress has been worn so much, it's actually a lot warmer than it looks.

      Delete
  6. What a fun time out. Just being on the train would be fun! I love bookstores and travel books and it looks like you were doing just what I would love to be doing now! Great murals, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Brighton, it sounds like a lovely place to go for the day. Bookstores are great places to hang out, it sounds like you have made the most of your time there. Your dinner sounds like amazing value and looks great too. The murals are lovely, I love that they change from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book shop there is my favourite place, it has so many cosy places to sit - there is a coffee shop but Im often happy to just get into that window seat!

      Delete
  8. Glad you got out. I like the murals.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The murals on these streets change often, there is a University with a lot of art students nearby who no doubt contribute

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a great day out in Brighton. I enjoy train rides. Nice murals. Both the Malaysian vegetable curry and sweet and sour chicken look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malaysian curry was delicious, sweet and not too spicy

      Delete
  10. I agree that you look so young in second image specially:)

    How nice that you still use your old coat from 1995.somethings of finest quality can last as long and stll look pretty well .

    Sounds a wonderful dayout .i liked your purchase. Dishes you and your hubby had look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili. Yes old favourites are sometimes worth looking after :)

      Delete
  11. Love those murals. I like that they are like interactive ones where you can pose with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pics! Love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, I missed a Brighton post Betty! Looks like the perfect day out. I've not long had breakfast, but I could eat that Malaysian curry right up! I do the same, take pictures of things to stop impulse buys. Bar charity shop stock, it is still likely to be there if / when I decide I need it. I like the way you are commanding the graffiti dragons, just like Khalesee from Game of Thrones ;) Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.