I have been home a lot, either working or hibernating. I had a whole week off from the gym, mostly to see if the tendonitis in my hand would settle, but also as I just didn't feel like doing much.... this is a very mild UK Winter but, nonetheless, I still feel like making the house cosy and warm and cooking wintery meals....I had a spurt of enthusiasm to make a pea, mint and lemon risotto. The smell of the mint and the bright green of the ingredients made it a sensory experience!
I am making soup twice a week - usually spicy lentil or carrot, then this week it was leek and potato. Done in my slow cooker while I am working there's not much effort involved and it's something nice for the men to come home to.
I also cut the hydrangea flowerheads to dry for the Christmas wreath I will make in December and I made a circular twine base which is drying out nicely.
It’s lovely in the morning to sit out in the conservatory and wait for sunrise
We have a little trip to Edinburgh planned later in the month and on the schedule is a meet up with a very special blogger - will tell more nearer the time.....







Betty, I also make soups to store. I love the potato and leek soup. It originated in France and its name is
ReplyDeleteVichyssoise.
From what I see you have worked a lot this week!
Yes, the French usually are behind the best soups and sauces aren't they Norma! I like to keep busy and stay out of the kitchen as much as possible so anything that saves time is an investment - my slow cooker gets used every other day!
DeleteAs I seem to not be able to make small batches of soup, I'll likely only make once per week, but will yield 2-3 meals. I'm out of bouillon, so need to stock up. Your soup flavors sound so delicious.
ReplyDeleteI just buy the cheapest supermarket stock cubes to be honest Sam, they seem to work ok and I just keep plenty of them :) I did try some white wine stock cubes recently and they were worth spending more on - have never tried making my own though.
DeleteI had leek and potato soup at a local garden centre a few weeks ago and it was the best I've ever tasted! I tried to replicate it at home the next day but it just wasn't the same. Yours looks so tasty. I'm going to cut my Hydrangea flowers off tomorrow and save them to make a wreath later. We could have a 'wreath-a-long'!!Your conservatory looks dead cosy. How do you heat it in the winter? My Mum's is always too cold to sit out in, come the colder months, with no heating in it. Getting excited for the end of the month!xxx
ReplyDeleteI read somewhere that hydrangea are poisonous, am being cautious with mine after the finger blister incident but think they will be fine for something to hang on the door - a wreath along! that would be fun. I have a small oil radiator (electric powered) it is expensive to run so don't have it on all the time and yes, it will get freezing when we get into a colder spell :) I don't know how I have spent the entire lockdown working out there - our electric bills were huge.
DeleteGosh your conservatory looks SO inviting there Betty - how wonderful to sit in there. Your risotto looks inviting too - wonderful colours. I look forward to seeing your wreath when it comes to life. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie, I love it out there, especially early mornings. The wreath is a work in a progress :)
DeleteI have been soup making once a week, knowing leftovers will be eaten. I enjoy your suggestions.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Susan, I am running out of recipes so always interested to know what others are making :)
DeleteHello Betty,:=) Portugal is a soup making country. Even in summer a meal is incomplete without soup, and crusty bread. We don't add any flavouring cubes, but I'm sure the stock saves some time. Your soup looks, and must taste delicious, and the smell of the combined ingredients must make you hungry as soon as you open the door. I'm not a craft person, I just paint the occasional picture, and photograph nature, but I admire the creativity of those who make their own Christmas wreaths! You are very initiative in using Hydrangea Flowers, I have never seen any at Christmas but your picture is most attractive.
ReplyDeleteI wish I was one of those people who can be succinct,...my comments are always long, but feel that if someone has made an effort to make an agreeable post, it deserves more than a few words, but perhaps more concise.:=
All the best.
It;s great to get a long comment, I really appreciate it and that you stopped by - so manyy bloggers are anonymous and for me the fun is in getting to learn a little about each others' countries - I think I would be very at home on a visit to Portugal if there is always soup for dinner and crusty bread!
DeleteI think I'll come to Edinburgh, too. You will have so much fun! I am going to go upstairs and hunt for split peas. Soup sounds perfect! I hope your hand is better, Betty!
ReplyDeleteOH yes! wish you could come too but you can join us through the blog and it will still be fun.
DeleteEdinburgh?! How exciting, I can't wait to hear about your special meeting!!
ReplyDeleteYou're turning into a domestic goddess with all your seasonal cookery and cosy interiors. The conseratory looks very inviting indeed.
I hope your tendonitis sorts itself out quickly, this miserable damp weather is vile on the joints. xxx
Hi Vix think after nearly 30 years in this beautiful house it more or less does everything itself and we just live in it :) I am looking forward to getting some foliage from the woods and decorating for Christmas though - I know this dampness in the air is not helping my hand, you and I and our aches and pains belong on a beach for the best part of the year :)
DeleteOh my, I think I should like to meet any new day there in your oh-so-wonderful conservatory. I love your ideas for soup twice a week... and the seedheads for flower arrangements. And, Yay for the four-mile circular walk!
ReplyDeleteNot sure how the seed heads will work but they were too pretty to ignore!
DeleteIt's just the right time of year to make soups, isnt it. Warming, comforting and filling. Leek and potato soup is a favourite of ours, and we also love carrot and lentils,with a few chives added.
ReplyDeleteI have a 50 year old recipe book with a soup that was my childrens favourite. The book called it Minestrone but it was always known as Firework soup, as we had it in cardboard cups round the bonfires of Nov 5th. It has just about every vegetable in, plus pasta and finished with chopped cabbage! It's VERY hearty!
Sounds like a great soup and from a 50 year old recipe book - that would make a wonderful blog post - things like, which are kept for generations are really special.
DeleteI'm a fan of Lentil soups
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
HI Dora, thanks for stopping by :)
ReplyDeleteLook at those green colours Betty!! I think that the presentation of food makes it that much more delicious! I hope you're doing okay, you sound a little sad! I do miss Bangers and Mash...I used to work at an "English Pub" in Montreal Qc for many years as a bartender and I had that dish so much...I made it at home too, but since Alex went vegetarian, I haven't made it in years...I must remedy that! :) Your conservatory looks so cozy...I feel the need to make my home cozy this time of year too! :)
ReplyDeleteHello Betty, oooh, your risotto sounds delicious. Autumn soups are such a joy. I am the only one in our house that eats them = more for me, mwahaha! I always find walks are so much more fun when pubs are involved ;)
ReplyDeleteMy brother and sister in law have recently been on a foraging course and have been showing me the difference between poisonous hemlock and edible cow parsley. Think I'll just stick with the nettles, which are actually quite tasty!
Your conservatory looks so welcoming. What a wonderful way to start the morning. Hope you have a great week. Lulu x
I love that you walk -- then enjoy a wonderful meal! I hope you will share your wreath when you finish. It sounds absolutely beautiful. Dried hydrangeas are just lovely.
ReplyDeletedear Betty i loved your art in next post ,such a beautiful and gorgeous art ,poppies are more alive in your painting indeed.
ReplyDeletesorry about the blister ,so true we can never be enough careful but still we have to keep trying :)
oh your mint ,lemon and pea recipe looks so impressive !!! must be delight and so healthy ,i too love mint fragrance .
your walk looks nice too ,how amazing to visit and meet blogging friend :) i would love to know all about it :)
best wishes for all you choose to do next my friend!
Your risotto and soup looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteEeek, that's a bit worrying about the blister! We went to the poison garden at Alnwick castle and got very scared by all the plants they told us were poisonous!