Tuesday, 19 January 2021

The New Normal: Painting small

During my  use it or lose it annual leave from work last week I had best intentions  to do lots of blog posts and be interesting but it turned out to be a very uneventful week.  Lockdown continued, we had torrential rain and our daily wood walks (muddy) became 90 minute strolls in and out of town (deserted) to get the odd fridge item and nothing outstanding to report.



Good news though was I painted often  and replenished supplies.  My green and yellows ran out.  I got a lovely new student grade palette set from Amazon on a 7 day delivery and was pleasantly surprised to receive the order the very next day.  



I found painting smaller is the best thing for me, all that overwhelming expanse of white had been my downfall in the past I think.  These are postcard sized and done in half an hour so I didn't wander off halfway through and lose interest:)


 


I made progress on learning to play chess


The garden has sprouted lots of daffodil shoots - last year I planted tons around Amber cats favourite spot to commemorate her - looks like there could be a very pretty display soon.  My view from the conservatory is green and springy and my lemon tree is giving some lovely big fat fruits.



Mollie cat has a new favourite perch.



And here's a terrible snap of me wearing the famous Ebay kilt.  You can see I have taken my hair back to my natural brown as highlights werent working with lockdowns.  I dont know how my hairdressers and similar businesses will bounce back after this latest setback but I look forward to a jolly good trim if they open their doors again.










24 comments:

  1. hello dear Betty
    i am sorry that last week did not filled your hopes yet i can see you managed to drew out of it some lovely ,beautiful paintings that i absolutely LOVED !!!

    choice of colors is EXCELLENT indeed and catchy to eyes and delight to look at :)
    i agree that bigger canvas can be challenging for imagination ,you did Great on small card !

    i am happy to see your pet in her comfortable pose :)

    how nice your lemon is bearing fat fruits ,view through your conservatory is serene and beautiful
    blessings and best wishes for days ahead !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baili thankyou for your compliments ... I am so pleased with my lemon tree, it's doubled in size in the year since I bought it and we have had such delicious lemons, the flowers smell so lovely too.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a relaxing week - painting, chess, strolling into town. I sometimes think we put pressure on ourselves to 'make the most' of time off work but sometimes doing a little of what you fancy is enough, and can be very restorative.
    I'm looking forward to a proper haircut, I often do it myself but it does need an expert cut once in a while!
    Isn't it nice to see signs of spring.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes a proper haircut - even a trim makes such a difference, it all bounces into place and the condition improves. But it's also the having a good old chat with your hairdresser that I miss - I love my Jess, she's a super saver and full of advice about shopping and budgeting :)

      Delete
  3. I love the kilt and your promises of Spring. We have whispers in the bright morning light, but all your torrential rain without the buds. I peer longingly at all the branches every day, so hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't show the sea of mud in the woods and the trees that are all covered in mould to be honest!

      Delete
  4. Lovely painting. I think you could sell your postcards, I'd buy them! The kilt looks really smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I have had a few emails in the past encouraging me to try making cards and selling - I thought I would see how it goes this year and maybe experiment with a small set at the end of the year.

      Delete
  5. I love your darker hair, it really suits you and the colour really shows off your pretty eyes. The kilt looks great.
    Mollie cat is gorgeous.
    Your paintings are lovely, I'm glad you've found a way of working that keeps you inspired. I'm clueless with chess, well done for learning. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Vix - maintaining highlights is super expensive and made it so dry.. I like my chestnutty brown as I can now have some shine - hairdressers always try to steer me towards bright reds as I have green eyes but I like the brown, as it fades it will take the highlights red so that could be interesting .. :) its nice to have a change - might try a balayage effect like you in the summer xxx

      Delete
  6. Hello Miss Fairy, think you look lovely and warm in your cozy cute kilt!

    I was wondering what you thought of that set? I had purchased a Sennelier student set, but it is only 12 colors (not that I can't mix of course!) and I have heard good things about Windsor & Newton.

    Wishing you a cozy week! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyra I haven't used it yet as was using up old ones in the 12 set.. Winsor and Newton Cotman is student grade so it's ideal for me and I do find them very good for my purposes, I suspect any disappointments are more likely due to quality of paper - for thirty odd quid I couldn't believe it and thought they might be fakes but they all came in a lovely big palette with the proper wrappers and labelling - get yourself some!

      Delete
  7. Your smaller postcard paintings are wonderful Betty. I love them. Thats a lovely photo of Mollie - she is looking shiny & healthy now. I also love the pic of your wearing your kilt ... I'm sitting here in a sundress & I'm melting !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one kilt will be enough but it is very warm and cosy, I would rather be melting in the sundress to be honest!

      Delete
  8. Rockin' that kilt Missus!! I love your hair that colour too. I'd deffo buy your postcards! Good Golly Miss Mollie looks so at home now. Speak soon.Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your paintings are absolutely lovely! I love wildflower paintings. Your set of paints looks really nice. I would like to get better with paints- I do have a small set of unopened watercolours and some Gouache.
    Your kilt looks really nice and such attractive colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your paints out Kezzie, I dont know how to use gouache so would be interesting to see what happens with yours :)

      Delete
  10. Keep painting as it will set you free!! Here I look forward to us getting a good president in office and ridding us of trump. I pray for us to get COVID in check all around the world to stop the suffering and sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, hope all your wishes come true :)

      Delete
  11. Your painting brought a ray of spring and hope into my day after a day of dreary rain. Our back garden has flooded for the first time we have lived here since 1990.
    Take Care X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betty! Oh, I like your kilt! How fun! I know hairdressers are really struggling here. One hairdresser I go to occasionally is opening a salon in his garage. His business at the former booth-rent was horrible. His clients were all elderly and afraid to come in. This has been so hard on businesses.
    I'm sorry it's so muddy on the woodland walks. I hope it dries up soon.
    As always your paintings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had some creative time.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Betty, beautiful flower painting! It must be such a treat to have new paints. Good to hear your daffodils are coming up. I remember you saying you had planted a load on Amber cat’s favourite spot. Looks like Mollie has bagsied the best position in the house. I do love a good kilt, must be the castle rustling Hadrian wall tribes blood in me. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.