Happy New Year!
On New Year's Eve we stayed up late and watched a band I like called When Rivers Meet doing their stuff on Facebook live for their loyal fans and saw 2021 in with rum and coke.
New Year's day dinner was roast beef for the men and roast chestnuts for me - we roasted the vegetables too (carrots, parsnip, sprouts, potatoes).
We had a touch of snow on New Year's Day - it didn't settle but was a magic moment for me. A nice walk or two in the woods - a friendly robin joined us on our walk by the river...
Goodbye tree, it has been lovely to have the coloured lights and I will miss them but it's time to pack it all away. Doesn't the house feel empty! but we can fill up with houseplants :)
We are watching The Serpent - the whole series is available on BBC I-Player - 70s story based on real life events of a cold blooded killer who preys on backpackers on the hippy trail - we loved seeing some of the places we visited on previous travels in India, Thailand and Hong Kong and the clothing seems bang on for the era. The lovely Jenna Coleman and Ellie Bamber both have key roles...
![]() |
| bbc iplayer the serpent |
These sort of films always stoke up my travel bug .... hoping that by 2022 travel might be safe again and host countries will have the infrastructure in place to receive us.
![]() |
| Source: Burpee.com |
I ordered some lemon cucumber seeds, might grow in the conservatory if I can get them to germinate, they don't look anything like cucumbers, do they? I wish I had held on to my allotment (UK for patch of land to grow veg rented from the authorities), it was some years ago when I didn't have much free time and it was not within walking distance so I gave it up. I put my name down for one nearer home at the beginning of this year, but it's unlikely one will come up for years, I am lucky number 13 on the list... so better start planning for our Summer garden here and make the best of the soil and space we have :)
How's your New Year going?
p.s. I have changed my font to make my posts easier to read, feedback welcome.








i enjoyed knowing about your holidays dear Betty :) i am a completely veggie person just like you now :)
ReplyDeletethis is great that your pet is being used to you and home environment ,i hope her behavior will get better with time
i loved your kitchen window nursery :) here plants take hardwork and attention unlike my native town where cutting were grown so easily ,i miss that thing here
movie you mentioned seems thrilling ,yes such eventful and adventurous movies provoke for travelling :)
never saw such cucumbers lol ,they really look like huge lemons to me ,Best wishes for house ,may your all sweet dreams come true my friend!amen!
yes i smiled when saw you as much packed :)
ReplyDeleteLemon cucumbers is a new one for me. Could you tell me where you found them please? i might try them!
ReplyDeleteI will email you but it was Marshalls seed catalogue - which is really pretty and free you can order online though if preferred.
DeleteWe grew lemon cucumbers last year and had great success.
ReplyDeleteMollie cat looks so well, such a glossy coat and beautiful bright eyes.
You look really chic and cosy in all your layers. xxx
Flippin' furious about today's news!!Here we go again. I think your just about to get your announcement. Can't wait for my Marshall's catalogue to arrive now! Love your walking gear. Yes, your font is easier to read. Have a good week, Betty.xxx
ReplyDeleteA lovely post and I like the font.
ReplyDeleteIt's always so nice to get out for a walk, and robins are my favourite bird.
I see Boris has just announced another lockdown here in the UK, this time until mid February!
Stay safe and warm, the weather has certainly turned cold.
My good wishes to you and yours for a happy and healthy 2021.
All the best Jan
Hello Betty, that looks like the kind of band / duo that would be great to see live. Glad you had a fun new year’s eve. Yay to houseplants! You have reminded me I need to order some Crystal Lemon cucumber seeds – I couldn’t get any back in March and they are my favourites. So nice to see your face Betty. Two pairs of leggings!...I am impressed. Lulu xXx (p.s. new font looks good)
ReplyDeleteI still have tree up! Gotta start thinking on taking it down!
ReplyDeleteI like your font! It must be cold out on the walks, but you look nice and toasty!
ReplyDeleteI think you'll be able to travel again. I sure hope so.
It's a good suggestion to buy more houseplants!
Take care, good Betty!
Well written. We are in the process of 'taking down' all the Christmas decor, also. what a mess. Since we didn't go out to do shopping, I ordered gifts from online. There is a mound of boxes to recycle.
ReplyDeleteNever heard of lemon cucumbers. I'll go looking.
We got some chestnuts that needs roasting. Looking this coming weekend I will get the yule decorations up.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
I was in bed before midnight on NYE, we often try to stay up but neither of us felt the need this year.
ReplyDeleteI miss the tree and decorations when they're gone, everything looks so bare, I was tempted to put some fairy lights in one of my bigger plants, just to keep a little sparkle.
I don't look at all stylish on our walks, last week I went out with mismatched gloves, only realising when I got home.
Lovely to hear Mollie is making progress.
Lemon cucumbers look lovely, I'm slowly making plans for my greenhouse growings this year. One resolution was to be better prepared to start sowing seeds this year, I'm usually so last minute!
xx
Wow.... roast beef ..... something that I don't mind having now.
ReplyDeleteWonder if The Serpent is available on Netflix.