Monday, 31 August 2020

The New Normal: Week 6






The tomatos are doing well, we have been eating cherry, plum, black and orange tomatos and have these huge marmandes to look forward to.  Our lettuce is doing well in flower pots too, we have had a continuous supply of oak leaf and other varieties.




I gave my conservatory a deep clean as we have four false widow spiders in there who don't bother us,  but do make a mess, I have given up trying to move them out, they just come back.  Big Ben (ficus Benjamin) is having a week out in the garden as he has scale insect - ants usually sort it out.


I forgot to post a pic in my vintage blockprint skirt when I was on Porlock Beach last week....




We have come full circle with the house move plans.  after a fabulous weekend in Somerset, we know where we want to retire to in 5 years time,  but concluded that, for now, we need to focus on moving somewhere in our current location as a family, leaving our 'never home' until nearer retirement.  The process has been stressful but I feel calm now we have got to this point.  Slightly concerned about viewers coming to our house but they will wear gloves/masks.


This week we had some fogged windows replaced in preparation for house sale and I did a spot of deep cleaning - housework always makes me feel positive and cheery.


Despite the storms/heavy rain last week the river is the lowest I have ever seen.





We have Autumnal vibes here, I have only picked a few blackberries as the heavy storm/rain last week damaged most of them.  I have had woodland walks with both hubby and younger son, the colours are beautiful, a lot of trees are down though.




This week was my first week back at work since March/lockdown.  We are now working in two teams of alternating weeks at home/office so we can distance.   I am very much in favour of return to work to help the economy.  Hubby starts a new job soon delivering for a local supermarket so will sometimes need the car and I plan to use the train to work.

  
I hope we will get some use out of the bbq this coming week.  We are doing new meals this week as our menu got a bit boring - I bought this book last year and still haven't used it!  First recipe we are trying is lamb kofte for the men (vegetarian quorn mince kebabs for me).




My lovely shamrock is flowering continuously and getting to a nice size.  I can't believe how obsessed I have become with houseplants.



I will leave you with  a pic of todays salad from the garden lunch …..





15 comments:

  1. We grow marmande every year. They are the most amazing tomatoes. The first one I picked this year weighed well over a pound!
    Glad house things are sorting themselves out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are not that big but its quite exciting seeing them developing after years of failing with these. Yes, it will all come right in the end with the house, we aren't rushing.

      Delete
  2. Being an obsessive gardener works now nowadays. I haven't tried any veg plants, it is obscenely hot and dry.
    Your shamrocks are lovely! I have wild clover/three leaf which makes me smile. I wonder if garden center would have any. Shamrock comes from "seamro'g (SHAM - rogue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. think my plant could well be in a garden centre near you. its been very hot here too and watering twice a day has been necessary.

      Delete
  3. Hello Betty! I think I need that cookbook!
    I love your skirt and I'm glad you and hubby are going to work. I think your husband's job sounds fun!
    My tomato crop is so weak! Yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so lazy Karen and only ever look at the pictures in cookery books! hubby is looking forward to his job after 30 years as a salesman :) no targets or deadlines other than getting to the customers on time, he loves driving, should be fun.

      Delete
  4. That block print skirt looks fantastic!
    I'm loving that shamrock plant - I want one! My tomatoes are all still green, I never have any luck growing them in this garden.
    I'm thrilled that you've come up with a plan for your future, that must be half the battle.
    I've eaten at Leon at Brick Lane, the food is really good! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick tomatos that aren't ripening and put them on tables and windowsills in the garden. I got my shamrock from a tiny little shop in Brighton but I hope you find one locally. I love eating at Leon, local to us they have been doing mail order vacuum packs of their meals during lockdown.

      Delete
  5. I got one small cherry tomato off my plant so far! Really missing my 'freebies', at the risk of repeating myself!! Love your new skirt. Can it really be just a week since we were being warmed by the sun! Wearing bodywarmer today! Glad about house stuff setting down. Speak soon.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some of mine don't ripen, I pick them and put them on my glass table and they soon ripen up.

      Delete
  6. My toms are doing OK, but I only have a few varieties as I hate them, I grow them for Andy.
    I used to have that shamrock plant in my garden at an old house, I loved it! I should get myself one for this house.
    The block print skirt is lovely.
    It's nice to hear you have a plan for moving, the worst part is the not knowing, but now you have a plan, so that's grand! Good luck with the house viewings, and I hope Hubby's new job goes well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guessing you like tomatoes. I used to grow them but haven't done any for some time but I know how much better they taste straight from the plant so not surprised you like them so much. I can understand how you must feel about letting strangers in the house at such a difficult time. Good luck with the BBQing too. Wishing you a very happy week and a creative woyww, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tomatoes are prolific Betty & I love your new skirt - I have one very similar that I must try & find. I am so pleased you have made a decision re your house plans as I know this has been weighing on your mind. Sometimes its good to have a firm plan to work towards. Have a great day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your stories about house management and household dear Betty

    hope your plan for moving great by the grace of lord !

    your vegetables specially this shamrock and tomatoes are exquisite
    congratulations for new job to your hubby ,i am serene to learn that world is getting back to it's normal place thankfully
    skirt is gorgeous :) i adore your choice always and it makes me feel so happy that you like to eat eastern food like kebab and kofty wow :)
    i am positive that you will find perfect place after retirement ,i am either looking for that time in our life
    more blessings to you and your's my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, your Shamrock is amazing! What flowers!
    I hope you manage to find the home you want.
    Glad your tomatoes were doing so well. I had SO many on the way until they got blight and all went back- about 80-100 tomatoes all down the pan!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.