Friday, 17 July 2020

This week


We have been eating our home grown tomatoes and lettuce this week, it's amazing how much you can grow in a small garden - and how lovely and fresh it all tastes.




The pot bound spider plants I bought at weekend  have perked up considerably after just a few days separated and repotted, and are now looking beautiful  (I put the plastic pots with drainage inside bigger pots) - these are actually hurricane lights from The Range and I thought were so pretty they would make great plant pots - you can, of course, put candles inside them if you decide to.






This little silver one is ideal for my newest plant - a little fake shamrock which I found on my travels in Brighton this week.



I got a couple of these pots - they are just so pretty and were only a few quid each.



These too - citronella candles, but you get the pots for plants when they are used up...


I mentioned Brighton, I went by train yesterday - it was almost empty onboard and everything went ok, everyone wearing their masks, distancing, the town wasn't too crowded but not all the shops were open - I think there have been some casualties and some shops will not be re-opening due to the loss of trade - no office workers - so nobody to sell too - I didn't go to the beach as it was overcast, but was looking for Between Two Thorns  a fabulous plant shop that is very tucked away - a tiny basement with no room for more than 2 people... 





They make and sell terrariums, wedding flowers, pot plants and the little butterfly plant I had been looking for.  The sales assistant was not busy so we had a lovely long chat .. she was really helpful advising me how to make a plant garden from my vintage Verida glass bottle which has laid empty since I got it on Freecycle some years ago...  and as you can see above - her example is pretty amazing.




When I paid for my plant I found she had thrown this little succulent in for £1 to round things up :)


I had time to wander The Lanes a little but was more interested in peoples gardens around the area, a lot of these houses are painted really prettily and people put their tomato plants, herbs and lavender outside the front door....


This shop has a pretty newly tiled wall


These houses used every available space for plants



 I collected my library books today and spent the afternoon in the garden reading houseplant porn - I am getting totally obsessed and have visions of an indoor jungle developing....



While out and about in Brighton I noticed a very expensive plant table and remembered I had an old iron plant stand and my trusty Turkish brass tray - so made something up for myself - this spider plant is also looking a lot healthier but I haven't found a pot for him yet - he needs something very big but seems to like it on my new stand.




So it was all about plants this week - My vintage scarf arrived, it's beautiful - will do a pic soon.

I am working for a few days - really enjoying blogland posts - leave a comment if you have time - always welcome - back soon.


9 comments:

  1. You always find such interesting thibgs, Betty. The candle holders make lovely plantpots. i love the way people have grown plants outside and all over their houses. Not sure if we will get to Brighton for a while, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those home grown tomatoes look good.
    Long time since I travelled by train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely that you are getting into your plants Betty. I used to be really a bit obsessed & grew loads of them. Then when we were sharemilking & moving farms alot I gave away quite a few & am just now gradually getting back into them. I think they have made a real revival & freshen up the indoors so much. I love all your plants & the little table you have fashioned. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plans are awesome. I had spider plants years ago, and they produced runners. Your red fake shamrocks, I think are some sort of shamrock. There are some wild little guys in the damp shade, and I dig them up, pot them. We lived in Ireland and they were wild. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A trip to Brighton sounds like a real treat. I'm glad the train ride was uneventful and you obviously felt safe - that's what happens when people keep their distance and follow the rules :)
    I love your new found joy in plants, mine seem to survive despite my sporadic waterings - a job for today!
    All those houses look so pretty, Aldeburgh and Southwold in Suffolk have a very similar feel - pretty coloured walls, plants bursting out everywhere. I love looking in peoples gardens!
    Have a great weekend
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing beats homegrown - we're making a curry with our French beans in it later!
    How lovely of that lady to give you that succulent as a freebie, I love the fake shamrock and all your pots are beautiful. What a great idea with the brass table.
    The plant catalogue Lord Jon got this week featured an amazing "plant theatre", a galvanised table that cost £99 - I'm determined to find an alternative using bits I can find lying around. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oxalis Triangularis i.e. Fake Shamrock is such a lovely colour and looks perfect in your new pot. Clever idea with the brass table, it looks perfect there. Thank goodness for Green Fingers which you have a-plenty, Betty. Hope the weekend's not too busy for you and you'll have some time for more gardening.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Betty :)) It's so nice to see people planting, and taking good care of their plants! I really like that little silver pot with the shamrock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally loving plants at the moment! Really like your Spider plants! I do like house plants but my husband has killed our African fig by leaving it out in the sun! All its leaves have been scorched and are dropping off!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.