Thursday, 21 May 2020

Week 9 - I think

Monday

In another life I would have been doing Les Mills bodypump followed by 30 lengths of the pool at the gym, but this is now.  My new routine of a brisk hour walk with the step count app on my phone tells me I average 4-5 miles, then some weight lifting with sons weights in the garden.  We can have more walks now so I took another one in the early evening.

source:  watchlesmillsondemand.com
Breakfast was yoghurt and frozen berries, lunch was salad with cheese flan and dinner was veggie chilli con carne and leftover rice, hubby cooked meat for the men.



At 12pm the new oven arrived, while the electrician was working we stayed out in the garden, I gave the whole kitchen and floor a massive soap and bleach wash down of all surfaces after he left... all done.


On our 2nd walk of the day we found a really large, well made den in the woods - what people will do to occupy themselves during lockdown!  I suspect quite a few spliffs are being smoked in here of an evening :)  It is well hidden, I couldn't resist taking a log seat for a moment.






Haircuts had been delayed, I cut hubby's neck last time so the men were bracing themselves for this and have so far been postponing every time I offer !!

Diversion

I should enlighten you that I am not a fully skilled hairdresser - I was an apprentice at what was then Alan International  in London, as a school leaver 45+ years ago, two years washing hair and standing next to a stylist, learning, with 2 days a week release to the London training school to spend much time making nice 'brickwork' patterns with my hair rollers, pin curls and finger waves, blow drying was quite new and most people wanted afro perms and bleached heads..

https://aland.co.uk/london-hair-dressing-and-barbering-training-centre/  

Mr Alan himself has now written his memoirs after 60 years in the business, set out in blog format chapters if you're interested....

https://aland.co.uk/biography/

I can tell you - you need a further year of experience on a shop floor at the very least to develop your new found skills  to be capable (and I  missed that bit)..  I moved in the late seventies from hairdressing into moonlighting at nightclubs whilst holding down my day job as a pa in merchant banks in the City of London, lured by lots of money and bright lights.  In those days the office pest was unfortunately someone you tolerated and getting the job was 50% down to how pretty you were as long as you could type fast and didnt mind long hours, i worked for the m.d. and his team of 30 in the dealing room so often would be taxi driven home at 1am, those were the days! Not.

End of diversion!




Tuesday:

On the morning walk a household on the lane leading into the woods had put sweets out for passers by - such a nice thought.



 Breakfast was poached egg on toast, lunch falafel with salad and dinner was left over veggie chilli from Monday, with nachos and grated cheese.




Shopped on Amazon for a picture frame to hold a 6 x 4 print of Ambercat, I wanted a copper frame to compliment her beautiful fur and was pleased to find just what I wanted.  Added a couple of washing up bowls to the order to hold cleaning stuff under the sink/wash the floor and to keep outside for cleaning the bbq.


Made a space i n my treasure cupboard for Ambers bowl  collar and toys.



From 1pm until 9pm it's work from home day at the cyberspace call centre

This is my day:   had a crash and need to be recovered? vehicle broken down? need a mechanic or tow truck? no problem... boiler on the blink, electric failed, front door won't lock, pipe burst, radiator leaking, mice in the loft? no problem I will send you someone to fix it :)  we will have a lovely chat about CV19, whether you are isolating, managing to get to the shops, enjoying lockdown in your garden, missing the grandkids - while I help you look for the stopcock and turn off the water before the ceiling caves in or I will help you with my magic maps to find out where your car has actually broken down, because you haven't got a clue where you are.   I really enjoy my job because, as you can see, every call is different and I like talking to people.

Wednesday:

Frozen fruit and greek yoghurt, walk in the woods - we varied our route and found another den.  Very dense woodland here so only encountered a couple of people.

Lunch was feta cheese, tomato, onion and Ryvita.  Dinner was bbq veggie burger and salad and savoury rice.  I worked 1-9 again with the conservatory doors open, a scarf over the window and a fan - it was the hottest day this year for the UK.

The flowers my blogging buddy Annie sent are still looking like new.




I have two days off now.  Today we are collecting Ambers ashes and letting her spirit go in our own way in the garden.


Here’s a video snippet for about a minute of birds singing in the woods ruined at the end by someone using a chainsaw ... hopefully not in the woods!


11 comments:

  1. Your day sounds fascinating, Betty! I can imagine you being very patient and helpful.
    The den made me think of Eeyore's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only be patient for up to 8 hours though! I love that den, it looks like it needs cushions and tea lights though.

      Delete
  2. HeHe! Maybe when this is over and done with..
    In 50yrs time..! :). I was thinking of ALL the
    books that will be written, about Lock~Up! Oh!
    No! Lookdown! Peoples experiences, their up's
    and down's..and then films will be made..!
    I was also thinking..Imagine if we had NO
    internet..! :(. We'd have to rely on pigeons..!
    Never mind..Soon be Christmas..! "God rest you
    merry..." :).

    My hairs o.k. at the moment..Karen..who l went
    to school with, has been cutting my hair for 44yrs
    now..here at home..she remembers my Afro when it
    was 9inches from head to edge..HeHe! Much the same
    now only shorter and a bit thinner..still..it's
    lasted well..! Oh! And it's white now..and pink..
    four times a year..But! That's another story..! :).

    I've just been on Amazon..and e~bay..and..all of them,
    just giving my flip top bin in the kitchen a wash out,
    couple cracks in it, needs replacing..Could l find one
    at a reasonable price..All over £100..couple pink plastic
    ones..(Must be Pink)..same as mine..£6..out of stock..!
    Oh! Well..l'll have to seek 'refuge' elsewhere..! :).

    Well..time for lunch..Must be summat dead in the fridge,
    Ah! I know..Fishcakes! I buy two at Lidl every week..£1:15
    ..There very nice, big and thick, and crusty..nice with
    a few baby potatoes..out on the patio..and good old Fudge
    sniffing my plate, to see what he can steal..Bless! Him! :o).
    ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to know what you looked like with pink hair, Willie, and why several times a year but not always!?

      Delete
  3. If you lifted weights, you know "how" to. Could you use something like 5lb.cans, to do weights at home? Can't really "manufacture" swimming, thought. ~smile~

    Cute little *hide-away*! Work, to make.

    Open up!
    With masks/distancing.
    Compromised people,
    Stay home!
    ✨🌸✨🌷✨🌼✨

    ReplyDelete
  4. my sons have hand weights that they use in the garage for their workouts, they are sharing them with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betty - how lovely to get a peek into your day - its amazing to see you in shorts & sneakers while I wrap up in as many layers as I can. Its cold here now. I think the copper frame sounds perfect for Amber's photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be nice to have an oven again, although the weather has been great for bbqs.
    That den had some effort put into it, it looks very sturdy, and yes nocturnal activities are sure to be taking place in there!
    I'm glad you found a nice frame for Amber cat's photo, I thought of her the other day. She popped into my head when I saw Tink sitting under a chair in the garden and I thought of her sitting under the table in the rain.
    As for the chainsaw, sometimes it necessary to use one in the woods, I only say this because sometimes Andy has to do some woodland management and he often gets reported, or dirty looks, or angrily questioned by people, but sometimes it's necessary and actually does the wood some good. But it is a shame the noise interrupted bird song, with less general noise the birds can be heard loud and clear at the moment, isn't it lovely?
    I have to cut Andy's hair tonight, I haven't cut hair since I was at high school and I used to cut my best friend's hair all the time, she never went to the hairdresser, I can't say I always did a good job but she was always pleased. I'm sure any photos would show my limited skills.
    Your job does sound interesting, I broke down once and had no idea where I was, the man on the other end of the phone was so unhelpful.
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a realaxing read! Lovely photos of on your walk and hanging out in the den, as Hazelsaid, that took some work, didn't it? Not your usual teenaged spliff smoker - maybe a dad trying to escape lockdown life!
    Your meals sound lovely and I'm glad the oven got replaced, it looks great, too.
    I'm glad you found the perfect frame for Ambercat's picture. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Told you to watch out with those clippers!!You pack so much into your days, Betty. I'm only just resurfacing back into the land of the living, mainly to find my car battery has now completely died on me. Wish car insurance would cover such expensive, necessary items!!Glad flowers are lasting and great outcome for your kitchen with the new oven! Have a great week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. your new oven looks great dear Betty

    i so enjoyed reading about your job ,sounds really interesting and fun job though must be little tiring sometimes
    my younger sister did job t call center for years and she said she loved her work ,this add more confidence in one's personality
    wooden den is so intriguing and inviting :)
    reading about your lunch and dinner made my mouth water
    more blessings to your world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.