Friday, 15 May 2020

Lockdown week 8




Thank you for the kind comments and emails you all sent after my little cat Amber went with the furry angels.  I had thoughtful cards and a beautiful delivery of wild flowers from my lovely blogging buddy Anne  - Amber would have sniffed them with me - all in bud and smelling of wild things - thank you so much Annie.  I know there's a lot of scary stuff out there with Covid-19 and those who aren't pet lovers might not understand, Amber was very special.



We had intended to join VE day celebrations but not feeling cheery so watched our neighbours from the window for a while - they had put bunting and flags out and were out on the road with distanced chairs, beer and picnic.  Later we had a long walk in the woods, bluebells are dying off now, the hedgerows are full of herb Robert  and I saw the first foxglove.




I found a local man who makes pet cremation urns  and collected ours on Thursday.   I wanted something special that wasn't mass produced, he makes  them from his own moulds with metal powder and fires them in his workshop.  He used a copper powder coating to get a really nice colour, perfect for us and added a plate with her name and some words of love. His workshop was crammed and lockdown has actually brought him more business than he can manage, not all his work is urns, he makes animal statues too.   I would love to work there!




UK garden centres re-opened on Wednesday and we nipped in the day after, expecting a queue but got straight in.  The distancing was well organised with markers on the floor  - I should have taken some pictures as the brightly coloured flowers were overwhelming after being deprived for so long!  


I chose a pink semi double climbing rose called New Dawn for the fence at the bottom of the garden and a lavender, these are both being planted where Amber liked to curl up.  It took about an hour of digging out dead roots from the woods which creep under our fence with a vengeance and was just the thing to keep me occupied.


How's your week been? have you tackled any chores that you put off for years? got out into the garden and tamed it? you can't bore me when it comes to cleaning and home making, it's my favourite thing - leave a comment and tell me what you've been up to.....

I am working tomorrow and then cutting the mens hair on Sunday (I did hairdressing in another life for a short time).  We are having a clear out of bedrooms and garage and a few trips to the recycling centre as it just opened this week - also we managed to find a new oven, in stock in a local shop and they put us in touch with an electrician who will fit it.  Our oven conked out a week ago and I was expecting to wait a long time for a replacement!








18 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea to remember Amber by. New Dawn is such a pretty rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has buds already, can't wait to see them open :)

      Delete
  2. Well..l went out into the garden,
    last Monday and hit into the Privet..
    did the longest side, about 20ft, takes
    time, though it's only a twice a year cut,
    then Tuesday, l finished off the top bit,
    which includes quite a lot of Virginia
    Creeper..Job done!
    And..talking of Virginia Creeper, my home
    is covered in it, not the roof of course,
    back and front, so, it needs a daily seeing
    to, picking out the new growth..! I really
    love my Creeper..it started out 42yrs ago
    as a two foot baby..HeHe! It's just coming
    into full growth now..But! still needs seeing
    to..! :).

    Lovely to read what you've done for Amber...
    I've had pussy~cats from the day of my birth..!
    I was born at home, and, when mia Mama laid me
    in my basket, our pussy~cat, did the same, and
    did so, every time she laid me down, so, except
    for 12yrs, being out the country, l've always had
    pussy~cats..But! Since my George went over, a
    few years back, l thought..No more!
    But! I do get visitors..Fudge and Flossie..! :).

    Best get on..visit to the bathroom, then breakfast,
    can't start the day without my fry up...pop down
    to M&S for a paper, only buy one on Saturday, as
    l want the TV guide..I'll sit out on the patio,
    with a mug of Earl Gray, couple Bourbon biscuits,
    and browse the paper..! Then take the day as it
    comes..One thing l don't get..and that's bored..! :o).
    Take Care! Stay Safe! Stay Happy! :o).
    ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's lovely Willie about the cat in the baby basket... we had cats when our boys were born and they would sit and watch them when they slept, try to cuddle up - we used to put net curtain over the top as my mother in law was very superstitious about it!

      Delete
  3. Flowers look lovely as does Amber's urn. Careful with those hair clippers!!Nothing open up here yet but garden centres doing deliveries. I treated my two daughters-in-law to some plants each for their flower pots but couldn't think of anything to get for myself!!Glad you got sorted with an oven. Have a great weekend pal.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to cut steves neck last time lol! you can imagine it's something the men here have to build up for - usually involves a few beers (for them, not me!)

      Delete
  4. I love the remembrance for Amber. Our fur babies are family and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers are beautiful and so is Amber's urn, what a lovely tribute to your lovely girl. I'm so glad that you managed to get to a garden centre and fill her favourite spot with some cheerful plants. You can look out of the window and think happy thoughts forever now.
    Fancy you having a hairdressing past, I bet the menfolk are very happy about that. Great news on the oven, too. I'm keeping everything crossed for this amazing weather we're due on Wednesday, it keeps getting further and further away.
    Take care! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the hairdressing past dates back about 45 years lol! I did an apprenticeship from school at Alan International, Hammersmith for 2 years and swiftly moved into merchant banking/secretarial when I realised there was more money and bright lights! so am the worst person to let loose on hair as never gained any shop floor experience worth mentioning!!!

      Delete
  6. Anyone who has lost a pet, would understand...

    Lovely that that urn makers business is up. A nice result of this miserable Wuhan Virus!!!

    I saw elsewhere, that UK garden centers were opened!!!!

    I know it's a lot of work, to keep the woods out of your garden but... I also think it's lovely, to have a woods, right near you. -smile- I can say this. Because I am not fighting roots. Our little woods, is across the road. -grin-

    Super for finding a replacement oven!!!!! Yess!!!!!

    Thank you for your comment on our awful wind and T-storm. We and family, are all safe, and that's what really counts.
    💨💦 💨💦 💨💦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes UK garden centres are lifting our spirits, ours has really good social distancing guidelines and full stock! We won't go often as trying not to go out unnecessarily but it was such a treat to go and get the rose bush and look around.

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful & fitting Urn for sweet Amber Betty. I am glad your Garden Centres are open again .. ours are here too but there are long queues. I keep thinking of you as i go about my day & how you will be feeling & what a big gap she will have left. It does get easier my friend but give yourselves the time you need to grieve. Sending love & thoughts across the miles Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cats become part of the family very quickly, they have their own personalities, so of course we miss them when they're gone. I was so sorry to hear of Amber's passing.
    Your wild flowers are beautiful, my cats like to sniff at blooms too. The urn is really lovely, and it'll be really nice to have a rose to remember her by. My remembrance tree is such a comfort to me, I'm glad to say it makes me smile, and I hope the rose will do the same for you.
    My housework has returned to normal levels, and I'm still ignoring the DIY, my excuse is that I'm still working and for some reason I'm busier than usual.
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel, I think something living (your tree) gives us a place to feel close to those we love, both people and pets. We still have a long list of DIY and are starting to drag our feet!

      Delete
  9. how lovely to keep her in your garden ,her favorite place most probably as she might have spent many beautiful times with you here

    you could enjoy the gathering through the window which is nice indeed
    opening of gardens sounds exciting
    this is amazing that you have skills and degree for haircut dear Betty :) hope your men stay still unlike my sons lol
    wishing you more joys and peace in days ahead my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call it a degree baili! I was an apprentice in hairdressing for 2 years after I left school and then moved into secretarial work and the City of London where there were bright lights and more money.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.