bluebells have arrived!!!!
see? little bluebells peaking out here and there
We haven't got the big blue bluebell carpet yet, but it's coming …...
Yesterday I tried a new pizza recipe as I had no bread flour but had been able to get plain flour. It was so quick to make with no kneeding or rising time required and almost without even rolling out, just press into the tray and can be cooked straight away! I forgot to take a picture as we ate it so fast! We liked the base better than our usual bread dough recipe and decided we will have it again.
We ate our pizza whilst watching The Queen's speech - she did not mention Corona Virus once by name, her speech was timeless yet left us in no doubt this a new encounter and we are entering wartime conditions so must all pull together. She finished by saying 'we will meet again' - and of course everyone was thinking of the song by the same name sung by Dame Vera Lynn. Personally I would have liked to hear her issue a Royal Command as some people over this hot weekend have been gathering and not obeying the Government instructions.
Trying to take our minds off the worrying news that our Prime Minister, Boris, is in hospital we watched Race Around The World (teams competing to complete a trip round the world without using air travel (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002tvs). We applied to be on the program ourselves last year but, although we had an interested response, were not shortlisted... maybe next year.... Whilst watching tv I ironed a large pile of mens shirts that probably will not be worn for many months but needed putting away.
Feeling the need for some comedy I also watching Breeders, a family sitcom (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8129450/)
I planted some nasturtium seeds and cuttings from last year's herbs which have started sprouting roots and runners. Had a long chat my brother the landscape gardener, we both planned an imaginary allotment that we hope to have one day and moved on to discuss what he might put in his landlord's greenhouse (tomatos and lettuce) and what I might plant on my patio in grow bags (tomatos and lettuce!).
My friend is planting tomato seeds from her fridge and I planted some green chilli finger and red capsicum pepper seeds from mine. Although seed packet stock is reliable and guarantees quality and quantity, in the present time anything is worth a go.
We didn't go for our walk yesterday as we knew a lot of people would be out and we have a garden so made the most of sitting out in the sunshine and reading our books. I found wild violets under the apple tree.
Tonights dinner for the men is beef pie with puff pastry lid, roast potatoes and green beans. I shall probably make myself a little veggie mince pie to go alongside.
I am loving my new loose maxi dresses, this is one of four (birthday present) I have from All About Audrey, they have a Brighton shop but online too. It's handmade from vintage Indian cotton and has a buddha print, I have a purple silk slip underneath for extra warmth but it's surprisingly cosy.
I finished my book 'We are a Muslim, Please' mentioned in an earlier post, not as good as I expected as it hardly touched on her current life experiences but gave a good insight into life in Bradford in the 70s and 80s. I have moved on to Eric Newby's Slowly Down the Ganges... will let you know how I get on with it.
see? little bluebells peaking out here and there
![]() |
| wild violets too |
Yesterday I tried a new pizza recipe as I had no bread flour but had been able to get plain flour. It was so quick to make with no kneeding or rising time required and almost without even rolling out, just press into the tray and can be cooked straight away! I forgot to take a picture as we ate it so fast! We liked the base better than our usual bread dough recipe and decided we will have it again.
13oz plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
1/4 oz yeast granules
2 tbs oil
8 oz warm water
The full recipe is here:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2122/quick-and-easy-pizza-dough.aspx
We topped our pizza with mozzarella, red peppers, mushrooms and onions. I make the topping by mixing a tin of chopped tomatos with tomato puree to thicken and a few spoonfuls of dried herbs.
We ate our pizza whilst watching The Queen's speech - she did not mention Corona Virus once by name, her speech was timeless yet left us in no doubt this a new encounter and we are entering wartime conditions so must all pull together. She finished by saying 'we will meet again' - and of course everyone was thinking of the song by the same name sung by Dame Vera Lynn. Personally I would have liked to hear her issue a Royal Command as some people over this hot weekend have been gathering and not obeying the Government instructions.
Trying to take our minds off the worrying news that our Prime Minister, Boris, is in hospital we watched Race Around The World (teams competing to complete a trip round the world without using air travel (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002tvs). We applied to be on the program ourselves last year but, although we had an interested response, were not shortlisted... maybe next year.... Whilst watching tv I ironed a large pile of mens shirts that probably will not be worn for many months but needed putting away.
Feeling the need for some comedy I also watching Breeders, a family sitcom (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8129450/)
I planted some nasturtium seeds and cuttings from last year's herbs which have started sprouting roots and runners. Had a long chat my brother the landscape gardener, we both planned an imaginary allotment that we hope to have one day and moved on to discuss what he might put in his landlord's greenhouse (tomatos and lettuce) and what I might plant on my patio in grow bags (tomatos and lettuce!).
![]() |
| Dress: All About Audrey |
We didn't go for our walk yesterday as we knew a lot of people would be out and we have a garden so made the most of sitting out in the sunshine and reading our books. I found wild violets under the apple tree.
Tonights dinner for the men is beef pie with puff pastry lid, roast potatoes and green beans. I shall probably make myself a little veggie mince pie to go alongside.
I am loving my new loose maxi dresses, this is one of four (birthday present) I have from All About Audrey, they have a Brighton shop but online too. It's handmade from vintage Indian cotton and has a buddha print, I have a purple silk slip underneath for extra warmth but it's surprisingly cosy.
I finished my book 'We are a Muslim, Please' mentioned in an earlier post, not as good as I expected as it hardly touched on her current life experiences but gave a good insight into life in Bradford in the 70s and 80s. I have moved on to Eric Newby's Slowly Down the Ganges... will let you know how I get on with it.







Pizza sounds great, you were lucky to find even plain flour.
ReplyDeleteI've been watching the Race now and then, seems an awful lot of running and puffing up to check points!
Pizza recipe looks good, tahnks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou look fabulous in the All About Audrey kaftan, such a fab colour - I must resist visiting their website!
How exciting that you applied to go on Race Across the World, I love it both for the spectacular scenery and for watching how the couple's relationships change over the weeks. I loved that father and son last year, they should have won.
Eric Newby was born on December 6th, like me! Loved Slowly Down the Ganges as well as everything else I've read by him.
xxx
Pizza does sound great!
ReplyDeleteAs does planting. And love your dress!!!!
I mentioned the Queen in my post today. Wonderful... Mother of the Country....
In 1940, when she and Margaret made her first address to the Nation, I was 3, so do not remember anything about it. If our US news was reporting everything, back then.
So sorry to hear about Boris. I was so happy at his election, even though I am not your citizen, of course.
And how can people pay no attention to a pandemic? And party????????? Criminal I say. All those who are paying no attention. How can they?????? Are they 'brain dead'? All such scoffing people, all over the world. How can they?????????
Enough. Don't need to get my Blood Pressure up. -smile-
Stay calm
πΈππ·ππΈ
Almost hate to admit that I'm missing seeing the bluebell wood at work...almost!!I loved Jamie Oliver's pizza recipe the other day which was also really simple. Good job I bought extra flour at Aldi some weeks ago. I haven't been watching the Race prog preferring to watch anything with food in it!!Sounds interesting though. I love your new floaty kaftan. Looks great on you. I thought the Queen's speech was well-written and well presented but obviously she was sticking to the script and was rather misplaced in this nuclear age which bears little or no resemblance to the war years of long ago, when people knew what 'self-discipline' really meant.
ReplyDeletethe pizza recipe sounds great and I am so going to miss the bluebells this year.
ReplyDeleteHello Lovely! I really like your dress! It sounds just right for these times. I'll have to watch that Breeders. I've seen it on BritBox or Acorn TV.
ReplyDeletePrayers for your prime minister.
I watched some of the Queen's speech. I like her so much.
Good point about the flour. The baking supplies shelves were empty, have been for about two weeks. We bought flour from a bin type store and I bought some, about two weeks. No one said anything about contamination, but since virus lives for only a few hours, all has been okay.
ReplyDeleteWe have decided to order and have delivered. It keep make our kids less worried.
Your kaftan is beautiful, my favourite colour.
ReplyDeleteThe bluebells are beautiful Betty! Enjoy your good weather! Oh that pizza does sound good. I love mushrooms especially on pizza with Mozzarella! :)
ReplyDeleteThe bluebells are lovely. We saw some beautiful bluebells on our walk on Sunday- it was a delight to see those and the Celandines!
ReplyDeleteYour new maxi dress is so pretty! It really suits you!
Well done on working out a new recipe for the pizza. We had a delivery of 13kg of Bread flour today from a local Artisan bakery- that's the smallest bags they do so we're going to be using it for years!!!
i am so happy with your gardening and how nice that you have your brother to help you :)
ReplyDeletei liked your yard so much ,you live in lovely place ,so tranquil
in this image you looked like queen in this kaftan dear Betty :) really gorgeous !
thank you for bluebells ,i have not seen them before
baking is fun when you have time :)
best of luck with reading ,sounds serious one
hope you will share your views about it later
I hope I get to see the bluebells this year.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you applied to be on Race Across the World, I've only seen snippets of the current series but it does look good.
Lovely kaftan, gorgeous colour!
Hope your tomato plants thrive.
xx