I gave myself a little treat... a very old copy of The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady. I have wanted one for years so when I found this one for a few pounds I could not believe my luck! The pages are slightly yellowed, which adds to it's charm, otherwise in good condition... inspiration for painting moments:)
So here they are, described in the book as fair maids of February - snow drops... I couldn't leave them by themselves so added some wild cyclamen and tiny grape hyacinth... something bright and cheery on a very cold, wintery, February day.
I promised myself this year I will buy flowers often and so these lovely Spring flowers came home with me from our local shop. I keep them out in the conservatory as it's cold and they last longest there. In the morning the hyacinth scents the air beautifully.
My Christmas amaryllis was slow to get going, but yesterday morning I was rewarded beautiful blooms, in the palest pinks.
We have some miniature tulips and daffodils coming into flower on the windowsill too.
There was no dog walking last week as I walk the small terriers and they were all homed (which is good) I am hoping my walks this coming week will be safe as we have storm Ciara already picking up speed as I write this. The dog rescue is just the other side of the woods which my house backs on to. Last time there was a severe storm a lot of trees came down. So we are prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.
So here they are, described in the book as fair maids of February - snow drops... I couldn't leave them by themselves so added some wild cyclamen and tiny grape hyacinth... something bright and cheery on a very cold, wintery, February day.
I promised myself this year I will buy flowers often and so these lovely Spring flowers came home with me from our local shop. I keep them out in the conservatory as it's cold and they last longest there. In the morning the hyacinth scents the air beautifully.
My Christmas amaryllis was slow to get going, but yesterday morning I was rewarded beautiful blooms, in the palest pinks.
We have some miniature tulips and daffodils coming into flower on the windowsill too.
There was no dog walking last week as I walk the small terriers and they were all homed (which is good) I am hoping my walks this coming week will be safe as we have storm Ciara already picking up speed as I write this. The dog rescue is just the other side of the woods which my house backs on to. Last time there was a severe storm a lot of trees came down. So we are prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.




A lovely painting Betty. The delicacy of these first Spring flowers is so charming.
ReplyDeleteWe are putting up with high winds today as Storm Ciara bounces around...not nice!
thank you :) the wind here is scary, my fence is flapping like paper!
DeleteI hope you don't suffer too badly in the storm. I'll be relieved once it's over.
ReplyDeleteYour painting is beautiful. I'm always telling myself to bring flowers into the house more often - it never happens. :)
thanks, I don't think we can escape this one (storm), I hope you do have flowers often - I got mine from Aldi, they always last for ages.
DeleteI hope the storm doesn't affect you too badly Betty. Your flowers are beautiful - I told myself this year I would pick lots of bunches of flowers from my garden & enjoy them inside but I keep forgetting to do this & everything is now bolting to seed. Your book is wonderful - I was lucky enough to get one in an op shop here too. Have a great week Betty xx
ReplyDeleteBeautiful painting, Betty. Hope the storm hasn't caused too much damage. I bought some bunches of daffs from the Co-op and although they were in tight bud yesterday, today they've all come out in full bloom. Don't think they'll last the week. Love Amaryllis too. Have a great week.xxx
ReplyDeleteI always love to see what you paint. Still think about the silk you did a while back. Glad you got to fill a dream of a book.
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely, so perfectly flowery post. Thank you for all the beauty and winter cheer!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you paint, Betty.
ReplyDeleteStay safe. That storm is wild!
What a lovely book. It's so nice to have flowers in the house at this time of year when it's so deary outside.
ReplyDeleteI hope the wood survived Storm Ciara unscathed. We lost our eucalyptus tree, it was there one second and on it's side the next! And now, we're preparing for Storm Dennis, I'm hoping that'll be the last of the high winds for a while. We're so open here and the wind whips around the house and is so noisy!
Your amaryllis is so pretty, mine is a redish orange and has grown like a weed since I put it on our kitchen window sill. I'm worried it's going to start devouring small animals...
xx
your new diary book is lovely dear Betty :) such beautiful painting ,you almost made the blooms alive, GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletethank you for window flowers glimpse , rain drops on the glass are breathtaking!
thank goodness that storm went unharmed
blessings to your days ahead my friend!
You should publish your own diary with your beautiful illustrations!
ReplyDeleteI remember that book well, everyone was obsessed with it in the 1970s. Didn't Marks and Spencer used to sell it as well as things like tea towels, oven mitts and chopping boards? I don't think I've ever seen one in a chazza! xxx