Early this morning I put an old coat on and sat out in the garden with Amber cat with my cup of tea, admiring the frost on the lawn, listening to the birds and watching the squirrels rush up and down the fence. It is too early to consider Spring, in fact it is mostly cold and grey here, but I feel in need of the outdoors just now and any little moment like this is a gift.
I had a dabble with my watercolours, Poppies are not in season of course, but I wanted colour … I used a YouTube video on how to paint 'wet on wet' which helped. I ran out of steam, not sure if I will feel inspired to add any more for a while as I am distracted by other pursuits....
I have returned as a volunteer walker for the local dog rescue - I had been absent 6 years. Now I am working less hours I have found there is time to spare and it's a bonus because I get out in the woods, in the fresh air. I am lucky the kennels are just through the woods behind my house. The dogs are all waiting to be taken to a loving home so really appreciate a walk and some cuddles. The little dog above was homed since I walked her last week, the one below is waiting full of hope...
If you are interested in my travels, I have added Dubai to my other blog. Also, here is a *Youtube link* to a video with some of the things we saw recently in India.
We have a new full moon tonight - I remember my mother, a pagan, was very superstitious of a new moon, she believed it to be bad luck to view it through a window and very unlucky if you saw it over your shoulder in a mirror (unlikely)... My childhood was pretty well bogged down with superstition and ritual which I have tried to shake off, although some of it is ingrained in me! I do wonder where superstitions like this originate, any idea?
So longing for some flowers around here, narcissus would be welcome, no strays sprouting in the woods yet so to compensate I have some bulbs growing on windowsills. How's your January going? any signs of life/nature in your part of the World? ….
I had a dabble with my watercolours, Poppies are not in season of course, but I wanted colour … I used a YouTube video on how to paint 'wet on wet' which helped. I ran out of steam, not sure if I will feel inspired to add any more for a while as I am distracted by other pursuits....
I have returned as a volunteer walker for the local dog rescue - I had been absent 6 years. Now I am working less hours I have found there is time to spare and it's a bonus because I get out in the woods, in the fresh air. I am lucky the kennels are just through the woods behind my house. The dogs are all waiting to be taken to a loving home so really appreciate a walk and some cuddles. The little dog above was homed since I walked her last week, the one below is waiting full of hope...
If you are interested in my travels, I have added Dubai to my other blog. Also, here is a *Youtube link* to a video with some of the things we saw recently in India.
We have a new full moon tonight - I remember my mother, a pagan, was very superstitious of a new moon, she believed it to be bad luck to view it through a window and very unlucky if you saw it over your shoulder in a mirror (unlikely)... My childhood was pretty well bogged down with superstition and ritual which I have tried to shake off, although some of it is ingrained in me! I do wonder where superstitions like this originate, any idea?
So longing for some flowers around here, narcissus would be welcome, no strays sprouting in the woods yet so to compensate I have some bulbs growing on windowsills. How's your January going? any signs of life/nature in your part of the World? ….



Lovely poppies. We are just seeing the first daffodils now and it is so hopeful of Spring coming. Snowdrops are flowering in the garden, and rhubarb is sprouting!
ReplyDeleteHi Betty :))
ReplyDeleteI think you are such a wonderful person for walking those little sweeties...I did that once but my gosh, it was heart-breaking leaving them. I will adopt every one I come across if I don't control myself!!! Actually that is one of my goals when I move, to be in an area that is unzoned so I can have as many dogs as I want. :) Lovely to see those photos!
Your watercolour poppies are lovely! I'm not very good with wet on wet...I tend to try to paint in watercolour as though they were acrylics...I need to learn how to loosen up and just enjoy what the water is doing with the paint!
I'm trying not to suffer from winter-cabin-fever lately. It's been so cold but I'm trying every morning to walk Charlie, our husky, no matter the weather. She doesn't care if it's 20 or -20!!
I'm a Pagan too, but I see the full Moon as a gift. Though I know that some people think it bad luck to see it over your shoulder (mirror or not). I find I get a lot of energy as I gaze on the full Moon each month!!
Your poppies are beautiful Betty. I have them flowering in my garden at present tho things are very dry here now so alot is finishing. I think you are so kind walking the dogs - thats just wonderful of you & look at their dear little faces. I wish we were neighbours Betty & I would come walking with you & the dogs.
ReplyDeletethank you, Julie. I think I benefit the most from these walks, it's so lovely to borrow a dog (I would love to have one) and to get out in the woods again as the men rarely venture now they are all grown up - the pub beckons :) !
DeleteThe poppies are beautiful, you are so talented. As for your four legged friends, they are adorable. It must be a good feeling when you're able to let them go to their forever homes. X
ReplyDeletethank you, Jules, that's kind of you. I do feel very pleased these little things have new homes but it's easy to get attached :)
DeleteHi Betty! When I was at my mom's new house I saw some crocus poking through the earth! Yay! Here were have sunshine but no new growth for a while.
ReplyDeleteYou are so nice to walk the doggies. They look happy.
God covers you as you grow closer to Him and He gives you a discerning spirit in regard to the pagan stuff.
I may join you in a cup of tea outdoors today.
I have a few shoots of mini daffodil sprouting near my front door, not sure how they got there, maybe I wished really hard!
DeleteI love your little watercolor painting. So nice to walk the little ones!
ReplyDeleteI was quite glad that January dragged itself to an end. It was a grand enough old (young?) month for me, but it did slightly outstay its welcome. February though annoys me a tad. It's a bit of a tease. Shows glimpses of spring than whips them away in stormy winds that blow over the bin and send us scuttling down the street in pursuit of flying things! I don't think I'm superstitious at all, but I did enjoy making a St Brigid cross last weekend. Apparently I keep it in the house all year, as it dries out. I suppose it promises Spring too, but maybe there's something more substantial to its hope as well!
ReplyDeleteWhat sweet little dogs, I'm glad they've found homes, and how lovely of you to walk them.
ReplyDeleteStill not many signs of life here. We have some snowdrops but that's about it for now.
xx