Hello folks, just popping in for a catch up. I have been busy being a bookworm, curled up reading some lovely new finds...
I found Hedgerow Apothecary by chance browsing through a library leaflet. It's written by a local woman and contains lots of information about herbs we find in the UK hedgerow, their historical uses in folk medicine and some up-to-date recipes. I am so pleased with it.
I would like to say I am busy making concoctions from the book but I would be fibbing. This year we didn't get any elderberries so no sore throat linctus has been made. But we might manage to grab a few sloe berries for some gin... trouble is it's been raining here heavily day in day out so not the best weather for a roam around in the muddy woods picking berries!.
I am reading this other book for the second time as it's so good... The Salt Path by Raynor Winn, the story of a couple who lose their home and decide to walk the South West Coast Path of the UK with nothing but a tent and sleeping bags and the clothes on their backs. As they are walking through places I remember from childhood along the Somerset and Devon coastline I am really loving the detail. I am making notes of places I would like to visit some day ... oh how wonderful it would be to take that coastal walk (but preferably not because I was homeless). They had adventures, met interesting people, learned about nature and themselves......
We hope to get over to the village of Slindon, not far from here, where they put on a display of pumpkins every Halloween with a theme, this year it's the sea. Links is here
Samhain or Halloween as it is now known is upon us. We have a few pumkins out and look forward to welcoming the odd trick our treater. My mother loved this time of year and decorated the house with branches, old mans beard from the hedgerow and candles.
My father arranged bobbing for apples (a bowl of water with apples, you have to get one in your mouth with your hands behind your back!) and toffee apples were a treat I still love (apples on twigs coated in runny caramel toffee with a big heavy blob on the bottom where they had stood on their heads to set).
I am busy making butternut squash curry and lentil dhal for dinner. We had our first frost last night so am wanting comfort food and cosy evenings in watching .... Halloween films! What are you doing for Halloween?
I found Hedgerow Apothecary by chance browsing through a library leaflet. It's written by a local woman and contains lots of information about herbs we find in the UK hedgerow, their historical uses in folk medicine and some up-to-date recipes. I am so pleased with it.
![]() |
| Source: Waterstones |
I am reading this other book for the second time as it's so good... The Salt Path by Raynor Winn, the story of a couple who lose their home and decide to walk the South West Coast Path of the UK with nothing but a tent and sleeping bags and the clothes on their backs. As they are walking through places I remember from childhood along the Somerset and Devon coastline I am really loving the detail. I am making notes of places I would like to visit some day ... oh how wonderful it would be to take that coastal walk (but preferably not because I was homeless). They had adventures, met interesting people, learned about nature and themselves......
![]() |
| source: Waterstones |
Samhain or Halloween as it is now known is upon us. We have a few pumkins out and look forward to welcoming the odd trick our treater. My mother loved this time of year and decorated the house with branches, old mans beard from the hedgerow and candles.
My father arranged bobbing for apples (a bowl of water with apples, you have to get one in your mouth with your hands behind your back!) and toffee apples were a treat I still love (apples on twigs coated in runny caramel toffee with a big heavy blob on the bottom where they had stood on their heads to set).
I am busy making butternut squash curry and lentil dhal for dinner. We had our first frost last night so am wanting comfort food and cosy evenings in watching .... Halloween films! What are you doing for Halloween?




That pumpkin display is AMAZING!!!!!!YUM to toffee apples! Have a fantastic week!!! HUGS Annster's Domain
ReplyDeletethe pumpkin display has been maintained annually for I think 2 generations of the same family, they have fields of pumpkins all around and a little pottery shop too.
DeleteThe birds have feasted on most of the elderberries around here, although I'm sure my recent sore throat was better aided by an 18yr single malt :)
ReplyDeleteThe pumpkin display is fantastic. What a great idea.
So far we have carved three but I'm sure we'll be doing more in the next couple of days. Lily is dressing as a skeleton for Hallowe'en this year and, although not wishing to venture out herself, is excited to hand out sweets to any callers we may receive. X
Hello Jules, I doubt a malt whisky would last 18 years in this house! I like whisky and stones ginger wine as a cold cure.
DeleteThe Salt Path sounds interesting. I really enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, a fictional account of a man who walked to Berwick on Tweed from his home in Devon.
ReplyDeleteHallowe'en isn't my thing at all but have a good one! xxx
That sounds interesting Vix. Shame Halloween isn't for you as I reckon you would really rock some outfits!
DeleteHi Betty :) That Halloween pumpkin display is so creative I love it! Okay, to answer your question what am I NOT doing for Halloween lol? It's the biggest holiday of my year. I'm a pagan so I celebrate Samhain. Halloween is for fun, I carve pumpkins, dress up a little, make fun food and decorate! For Samhain, I read my Tarot cards, do a few rituals to thank Nature for all of her bounty, ponder my last year and make plans for the new year...and drink plenty of mulled wine with Moon cookies! :)
ReplyDeleteI can remember apple bobbing but it was for Nov 5th not Halloween (which I dont celebrate)
ReplyDeleteWe have come close to having a frost in the evenings, but this week it is just rain and more rain, and high winds.
how amazing to find something you are interested in dear Betty :)
ReplyDeleteherbs were passion of my mom ,she would go in fields and bring herbs to make her special medicines
no matter how old we grow our moms stay in our hearts always as strongly as they are still around :) on special occasions we miss them more i know this !
Salt path sounds great read ,i always am attracted to such stories when one has to begin with Zero in life and with honest struggle and deep devotion he make it happen slowly and steadily :)
hope your curry and dhal taste remarkable :) warm food in winters is such a great appeal of weather :)
wishing you more and endless blessings in life ahead my friend :)
hugs!
We call apple bobbing 'dookin'up here. Remember all those Brownie Halloween parties where you had to 'dook'(without the water) for Smarties hidden amongst plates of flour??!!Are there any remedies in your herbal book for high blood pressure? I seem to have it, surprise, surprise! Happy Halloween, Betty.
ReplyDeleteHello Betty
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy your post, the books sound very good.
That pumpkin display is amazing.
The grandchildren had a wonderful Halloween, it's countdown to Christmas now!
Happy November Wishes.
All the best Jan
What a lovely post!
ReplyDeleteThose books look fabulous too.
Best wishes xxx
Hedgerow Apothecary sounds like a wonderful read. And it has such a lovely cover, I know you shouldn't judge a book, but I can't help it, I always do!
ReplyDeleteI like the sound of Salt Path too, not that I need anything else in my TBR pile at the moment.
Halloween passed us by this year, so did bonfire night. I'm still in shock that October has arrived and it's over already!
xx