I took a little trip to the village of Cuckfield at the weekend. It has a few designer shops, a couple fo tea rooms and the village church, which originates from 1090.
Changes were made in the 15th and 16th century. It has the most beautiful stained glass and the prettiest hand sewn tapestry kneelers on the back of every chair.
There is no shortage of picturesque cottages around the village...
The village museum is usually closed on Sundays but we were lucky they were hosting a Book Fest so nipped in as I love to see the witchcraft cache (which is a collection of things found under the floorboards of the houses in the village, some dating back to the 16th century. Shoes and toys were placed under floorboards so that evil spirits would inhabit these instead of their owners).
Photography is not allowed in the exhibit rooms but it's worth a visit if you're local - there is a collection of old toys, a display relating to the old workhouse that was later converted to a court house, even some locally found fossils on display.
There are also some beautiful old grandfather clocks here - the village was once known
for its clocks, made by the Bates family. The original shop (now a
dentist) still stands. More info **here
Thank you for the tour, a lovely village. Amazing to see the church so beautiful and well preserved.
ReplyDeleteCuckfield looks delightful. So nice to see houses with proper wooden doors and windows instead of the dreaded UPVC.
ReplyDeleteThe kneelers in the church are lovely, so vibrant and colourful. What a classy looking dentists. xxx
How very pretty it all looks Betty. I especially love the stained glass.
ReplyDeleteThe kneeelers are so pretty and unusual in the colour choice. I like them better than bright red or blue.
ReplyDeleteI can vaguely remember visiting Cuckfield many years ago …
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing your photographs, if I'm near I really should visit again :)
All the best Jan
I rather like sitting in the car in the rain. Is that odd?
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued by the idea of a witchcraft cache...
xx